First Day of School Tips

One of the four Montessori Schools of Irvine.... I let her go at the classroom door and bawled my eyes out in the parking lot... Errrrr, I mean I drove away feeling sad... Yeah that's it..

My co-worker did the same thing with her son at one of the 4 Montessori schools today.  It's a passage that we all have to go through, unfortunately.  :'(

moonchild508 said:
My co-worker did the same thing with her son at one of the 4 Montessori schools today.  It's a passage that we all have to go through, unfortunately.  :'(

Went thru 4 preschools already, I'll never get use to seeing my child scared and me powerless to comfort her..

Why did you decide to change school?

My daughter is on the wait list for the Montessori school at Northwood.  We passed on the opportunity to go a year and a half ago due to timing issue.  She was put back on the wait list and has not been offered a spot since.  All together she has been on the list for almost 3 years.  She is in another Montessori school now where she is happy.  I dread making the decision to switch when the Montessori school at Northwood does call to offer a spot.

We wanted the kindergarten option which was not available at her previous school, otherwise we were happy there (and she made a few good friends as well).  It was a hard decision but wanted to keep our options open in case she's not mature enough for public kinder/after school CDC combo..

moonchild508 said:
That makes sense.  Do they offer classes beyond kindergarten?
Only one of the 4 Montessori of Irvine schools goes past K, Village Montessori goes to 3rd grade (it's a combined 1-3 class).

I think LePort Montessori at the Spectrum goes all they way to 8th grade.

Whewwww... Kid is ok... Little thirsty and no nap.... But otherwise happy.... Wanted to stay longer at school when my wife picked her up...  And best of all... No sand in shoe!  Now I just got to take care of my ulcer that strangely acted up today...

irvinehomeowner said:
moonchild508 said:
Only one of the 4 Montessori of Irvine schools goes past K, Village Montessori goes to 3rd grade (it's a combined 1-3 class).

University & Northwood campuses also offer classes through the 1st grade.http://www.irvinemontessori.com/northwood.htmlhttp://www.irvinemontessori.com/university.html

iacrenter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
moonchild508 said:

University & Northwood campuses also offer classes through the 1st grade.http://www.irvinemontessori.com/northwood.htmlhttp://www.irvinemontessori.com/university.html
My bad, I should have said past 1st grade.

I sit corrected.

Considering year-round IUSD started last Tuesday... any new tips/hints any parents want to share?

I'm over month early for standard schedule IUSD... should be the same as last year... I hope.

IHO- do what you have been doing :)

My son started 1st grade on Tuesday and I've hung around for extra 20 mins or so after class starts to talk to the other parents.  Obviously, kids get shuffled around so you are constantly meeting new parents/kids... I try to scope the other parents out to see what they are like... who is going to be room mom, how many volunteers will this class have.. what the other kids are like...

I think it's good to be in the know. 

I don't bring supplies until a few weeks into the school year.  I ask the teacher what she needs and I'll go from there.

So far the first week has been fantastic.. my son is loving his new class.

Just enjoy the mini-vacation (for parents) that restarted since Tuesday.  I sure am.  :p

irvinehomeowner said:
Considering year-round IUSD started last Tuesday... any new tips/hints any parents want to share?

I'm over month early for standard schedule IUSD... should be the same as last year... I hope.

irvinehusky said:
Just enjoy the mini-vacation (for parents) that restarted since Tuesday.  I sure am.  :p
Actually... when school is in session, it's more work for us.

We have to schedule homework time, help with homework, packing lunch, help with projects, more school events to attend, less "free" time for the kids, sleep earlier, get up earlier... I'm enjoying my summer right now, less stress for me.

School starts in a week for one, another one stays on until regular TUSD begins. This year will be challenging for us, one kid in high school and the other in elementary, different school districts, different schedules and different work loads. We have braced up, made some changes in lifestyle to accommodate the upcoming changes, but when it begins, it will be a whole new animal :)

Preparation so far.. bought uniforms. I will buy school supplies off Amazon one of these dull mornings.

Husky- I hear you. We are scheduling a morning date to celebrate school :p

Back