Drugs

Happiness said:
SoCal said:
Happiness said:
If a doctor examining a minor asks the parent to step out of the room, its time to find a new doctor.

I don't know if you're referring to the doctor I'm posting about? To clarify, she never asks the parents to step out of the room for physical exams. It's the opposite. She asks them to remain in the room for those. The teen questionnaire is the part they will ask to speak privately in case the child needs to share something with the doctor that they are afraid to express in front of the parent.
There is no justification for a doctor to ask your kid anything in private.  You do not know what the doctor tells you about what transpired in the private session is accurate or not.  A doctor, like a priest, will be viewed by the child as an authority figure.  Just imagine what can go wrong.  You do not know if the doctor has a hidden agenda. 

Most teenagers will not admit to illicit drug use, unsafe sex, or pregnancy in front of their parents. For the sake of good medical care, doctors sometimes asks parents to step away. 

Coleman said:
I like to think that I am pretty impartial to the surrounding cities after being pretty familiar with each of them. I feel that I can objectively give the pros and cons to any of the areas around here.

SoCal - I have observed some comments that you have made where you use one or two words that take your idea from informative to something that can be seen as derogatory especially by members within that immediate area.

Example, home invasion robberies are often referenced when subjects enter homes, subdue the victims, and use violence towards members of the house.  What you posted seemed to be a burglary where subjects entered a home and stole property without the members of the family being home. 

In this thread, you mentioned rampant.  I, too, would want to "set the record straight" as many have done here. 

I know that I have seen people stating "facts" that I feel are misleading and have privately messaged a member in one situation when "I felt enough was enough".  Haven't seen that person bring that "fact" up anymore.

I make absolutely no apologies for what I have posted in this thread. With all due respect, You were not there. It is not your record to set straight. And I haven't found your posts impartial. That revelation was a surprise to me. We'll have to agree to disagree. The bottom line is that this is NOT a comparison between areas. I am reporting back what my doctor told me. I didn't create the message. I am the messenger. My sons were in the room with me. I asked them what they got out of what the doctor said. My older son said, "That it's a big problem in Irvine." He's a kid and he understood. It is not a judgement against Irvine. It is a warning for parents.

Man you guys need to relax. I don't think SoCal posts these things with the intention of trashing irvine. The fixation of you guys defending your vaunted city never ceases to amaze. Yeah drugs in high schools are nothing new, yeah rampant was a little strong but it sounds like she was just relaying the message.

You guys make it seem as if anything that gets posted here actually has an impact in real, mentioning a drug problem at a school Isn't going to impact your precious real estate value. Let's take a moment and breathe together :)

qwerty said:
Man you guys need to relax. I don't think SoCal posts these things with the intention of trashing irvine. The fixation of you guys defending your vaunted city never ceases to amaze. Yeah drugs in high schools are nothing new, yeah rampant was a little strong but it sounds like she was just relaying the message.

You guys make it seem as if anything that gets posted here actually has an impact in real, mentioning a drug problem at a school Isn't going to impact your precious real estate value. Let's take a moment and breathe together :)

Damsel in distress!! Big calf qwertustin to the rescue!
Actually never thought about real estate value. For me, I'm just trying to figure out what the fuck rampant means and how it translates at irvine schools and to my kids. Six pages later, I still don't know.

bones said:
qwerty said:

Actually never thought about real estate value. For me, I'm just trying to figure out what the fuck rampant means and how it translates at irvine schools and to my kids. Six pages later, I still don't know.

It's an inverse hypergeometric probability based the schools socioeconomic equality index,  API score,  Gini coeffient for the school district, AP cheating ratio and the quotient of the SAT score improvement and hours in tutoring (kumon hours multipled by the appropriate efficiency coefficient)

Calculating the probability is thus trivial and left as an exercise for the reader for their own entertainment.

nosuchreality said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

It's an inverse hypergeometric probability based the schools socioeconomic equality index,  API score,  Gini coeffient for the school district, AP cheating ratio and the quotient of the SAT score improvement and hours in tutoring (kumon hours multipled by the appropriate efficiency coefficient)

Calculating the probability is thus trivial and left as an exercise for the reader for their own entertainment.

Ohhh!  Regular excel doesn't have all those functions though right? I need to get a stats add on pack?  Now why couldn't SoCal have told me this on page 2 of this thread. :)

qwerty said:

Thanks for being open-minded but even with your support, I still can not temper the message simply because it's unpopular. Not everybody has an appetite for truth. We're seeing it more and more these days in our society in general. Everybody is offended over everything. I would be a spineless coward if I watered something down just to be politically correct. I take my doctor's word as the authority on this issue. What I've posted is an accurate reflection of the visit. What I find ironic is those who are calling my posts misleading. Some actually have expressed in the past, like you said, that posts on TI could hurt property values. So, apparently it would be preferable to alter information, twist it, contort it, put lipstick on it and to serve it up disguised as something other than what it is. Now, that is deception. Not for the benefit of parents and kids. But for resale value, to line their pockets.. Who is the deceptive one here, again?? And for what - the almighty dollar? If this information becomes available for other schools in the area, and I hope it does, especially mine - I want to know - at all costs. To heck with my resale value. I want to know what's up. My children are worth more to me than any stucco box could ever bring me, period. I would hope other parents would feel the same. With that said, after 12 hours of talking about this, I'm getting tired. Got a good night of DVR watching ahead.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:

Thanks for being open-minded but even with your support, I still can not temper the message simply because it's unpopular. Not everybody has an appetite for truth. We're seeing it more and more these days in our society in general. Everybody is offended over everything. I would be a spineless coward if I watered something down just to be politically correct. I take my doctor's word as the authority on this issue. What I've posted is an accurate reflection of the visit. What I find ironic is those who are calling my posts misleading. Some actually have expressed in the past, like you said, that posts on TI could hurt property values. So, apparently it would be preferable to alter information, twist it, contort it, put lipstick on it and to serve it up disguised as something other than what it is. Now, that is deception. Not for the benefit of parents and kids. But for resale value, to line their pockets.. Who is the deceptive one here, again?? And for what - the almighty dollar? If this information becomes available for other schools in the area, and I hope it does, especially mine - I want to know - at all costs. To heck with my resale value. I want to know what's up. My children are worth more to me than any stucco box could ever bring me, period. I would hope other parents would feel the same. With that said, after 12 hours of talking about this, I'm getting tired. Got a good night of DVR watching ahead.
LOL. You've made no big revelations. nor are you showing courage by sticking up for your misleading info.

I know plenty of docs. Maybe yours is different but it doesn't sound like normal doctor-speak for one to specifically call out to a patient that Irvine kids "have an even greater ability to afford it through skimming their allowance."

You are a good story teller but members need to put a FILTER on your stories.

Next time, its OK to say "I exaggerated, but parents should pay attention to YY." Unless you are trying to be like Trump.

maybe SoCal should worry more about the rampant homeless issue in her beloved community. or the high registered sex offender ratio (I guess she is less concerned because she has two boys) or the frequent home burglary or break ins that have been happening in her neighborhood. 

when is the last time she posted something positive about Irvine? None you can find I bet. she even tried to stir the pot by resurrecting the veterans cemetery thread, hoping that it would make Irvine residents look bad by linking opposition to cemetery to anti-veteran

Requiem for a Dream is really hard to watch, but if you want your kids to stay off drugs, watch this movie with them when they're old enough.  I think 15 is a good age.  What happens to the mother is worse than what happens to the other players.

After the movie you can talk to them about drugs & sex.

The California Court Company said:
thanks for proving my point. I said ratio. 92620 is 4,633 to 1 while 92610 is 3587 to 1.

Coleman said:
Guess cal court doesn't read his PMs  :-[ hahaha

I guess I don't know how to read hahahaha I cannot believe that I had misinterpreted that statistic for so long.
:'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-X :-X :-X

;)

Back