Drugs

The California Court Company said:
let's just say Irvine kids can afford more expensive drugs like Heroin or Meth while Foothill Ranch kids can only afford marijuana.

Meth is poor man's cocaine.
And the stereotype is poor ppl smoke crack (cocaine) while the rich snort it.

Cocaine is one helluva drug.
F yo couch.

Road trip to Colorado or Seattle and smoke legally without the hassles.
Mental note. When kid comes of age and want to visit those cities...

The California Court Company said:
Regarding this thread, I think it is just another smear jab against Irvine, typical SoCal thread.

No, actually you're still projecting your own feelings and motives onto others again. I posted this because I was very surprised by what I was hearing and I think that all of us parents need to be aware so they know what to look out for. Parents used to fear their high schoolers sneaking a little bit of alcohol or cigarettes or God forbid, a joint. It's hard to imagine, for me at least, that high school kids are taking hardcore intravenous drugs which could kill them. I certainly do not remember hearing about anything this serious back when I was in high school. I wonder how many parents are aware of this, especially if they decline the private questioning or are just turning a blind eye / in denial / ill-informed, what have you. Like I told the doctor, I've never touched a drug in my life and am so naive when it comes to what they have available to them nowadays that I probably wouldn't even recognize it if I saw it in my own kid's room. I dug deep and asked her a lot of questions about the drug problem in the schools. I know you think FR is on a different planet or in a different state or something but in reality it's not very far from the area she practices in so it could affect my kids' environment, too. Sadly, it is a harsh reality. The more we know, the better equipped we can be to protect our kids from drugs. 

SoCal said:
I think most on here are parents but maybe some of you have young kids and that's why it's not clicking yet. It didn't for me either until today. Here's a clue: If you have a teenager, you will probably already know about this because they (well, at least ours, not sure if all offices do it) will ask the parent to step out of the room while they perform a routine series of questions. I do not have a teenager yet but was told what to anticipate in the future at a well child visit. I asked what type of questions are they and why do they ask. Basically, why should the parent leave the room? The doctor stated various reasons, for example questions about the child's home life, social and relationship questions. I asked for more specific examples. She said a big one she sees is the heroin use among high school students in Irvine. I was not aware they do this type of Q&A routinely but there it is. And yes, fwiw, she did say parents can decline the interview if they wish.

A doctor is going to notice other signs of heroin use (track marks, bruises from injections are sure to show up). They do ask about home life including possible abuse by family members. You can refuse anything you want but know this......... it WILL be documented on the chart and you run the risk of a visit to your home by child protective services.

bones said:
I don't think anyone is doubting there is heroin or cocaine use in irvine high schools. Or any high school for that matter. There were definitely pockets of drug users in the HS I went to. But the word you used in your initial post is rampant.  I don't know who your doctor is but I'm guessing she's the doctor of choice for the majority of irvine teens. And then the majority of this majority confided in her that they do hard drugs.  And then she took that information and told you it's rampant? 

I know it's hard to accept. It was for me, too. It still is. I am still thinking about it and discussing it with my husband tonight. It is really hard to sink in. I absolutely hate that it even has to be a concern for parents of high schoolers especially since high school isn't that far off for my kid. Makes me sick to my stomach what these kids are doing to themselves. But I don't know how else I can explain it other than what I've said already.

pisa said:
Did U ASK what the HEROIN situation is like in SVUSD?

Like I said, the office is located in Irvine. She specifically brought up Irvine high school students. I would imagine that's probably because the bulk of her regular patients are from Irvine. If the practice was located in SVUSD, perhaps the conversation would have gone differently. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Ready2Downsize said:
A doctor is going to notice other signs of heroin use (track marks, bruises from injections are sure to show up).

Good point. Now I'm looking up "Heroin Effects". I noticed mouth dryness listed below. Not good. That's one of the things that leads to "Meth Mouth" and that can be easily picked up during an exam. Unfortunately, I've seen that a time or two when assisting chair-side.

heorin%20affects.jpg

I didn't know heroin can also be sniffed / snorted or even smoked.

harmful-effects-of-alcohol-and-substance-abusesigns-and-symptoms-8-638.jpg

If a child is under age 18 can we have the doctor do a urine drug test on the child randomly once a year with the well check exam?

If not I will pay to get it done myself. I love my kids and they are still very young but I remember when I was in high school and to my parents I deceptively appeared to be the very sweet, perfect GPA student when in reality...(don't want to get into all those details  :D). It's an experimental stage but if my kid is ever involved in hard core drugs then I need to know about it early and nip it in the bud. That stuff is no joke and has detrimental long term effects.  And now things must be exponentially worse than when I was in high school  :-\ 

From my experience I got into the most trouble when alone at home after school, at sleep overs and when I had a car and was driving at age 16 - all things I will shelter from my children. I feel like these days parents need to be hypervigilant because you could have instilled all the right virtues in your child and it only takes that one "cool" very influential and peer pressuring "friend" to F*ck it all up

Paris said:
If a child is under age 18 can we have the doctor do a urine drug test on the child randomly once a year with the well check exam?

If not I will pay to get it done myself.

It's 1 a.m. I really should go to bed but this heroin thing has my mind spinning. Good idea about the drug testing. I did a quick check online to see what could be bought in the stores in case someone wanted to do a random drug test.

CVS / $25.99 / 4 Drug Test: Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, Methamphetamines. FDA cleared. 99.9% Accuracy.http://www.cvs.com/shop/home-health...sts/first-check-home-4-drug-test-skuid-343464

Unfortunately, heroin is derived from morphine(??) so that may not even help there.

Target / $35.99 / 12 Drug Test (7 illicit & 5 Rx): Cocaine, Phencyclidine (PCP), Methamphetamine, Marijuana, Amphetamines, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Oxycodone, Opiates, Methadone, Barbiturates, Ecstasyhttp://www.target.com/p/first-check-at-home-12-drug-testing-kit/-/A-10238349

I'm not a doctor but, again, I don't think heroin falls into any of those categories. If any doctor is reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I am.

SoCal said:
bones said:
I don't think anyone is doubting there is heroin or cocaine use in irvine high schools. Or any high school for that matter. There were definitely pockets of drug users in the HS I went to. But the word you used in your initial post is rampant.  I don't know who your doctor is but I'm guessing she's the doctor of choice for the majority of irvine teens. And then the majority of this majority confided in her that they do hard drugs.  And then she took that information and told you it's rampant? 

I know it's hard to accept. It was for me, too. It still is. I am still thinking about it and discussing it with my husband tonight. It is really hard to sink in. I absolutely hate that it even has to be a concern for parents of high schoolers especially since high school isn't that far off for my kid. Makes me sick to my stomach what these kids are doing to themselves. But I don't know how else I can explain it other than what I've said already.

No it's not hard for me to accept that yes high schools kids do drugs. But what is "rampant"? Northwood high has what, student population of 2000?  What's rampant?  5 kids? 50 kids? 250 kids?  500 kids?

bones said:
SoCal said:
bones said:

No it's not hard for me to accept that yes high schools kids do drugs. But what is "rampant"? Northwood high has what, student population of 2000?  What's rampant?  5 kids? 50 kids? 250 kids?  500 kids?

I think the definition of "Rampant" is subjective based on area. It maybe 500 out of 2000 in Compton but like 25 out of 2000 in Irvine where the kids come from affluent families with good virtues blah blah. It's like gun violence which is "rampant" in Santa Ana but God forbid 1 incident in a Irvine high school and that would be considered "rampant" violence in a high class community  ;D

SoCal said:
Paris said:

If not I will pay to get it done myself.

It's 1 a.m. I really should go to bed but this heroin thing has my mind spinning. Good idea about the drug testing. I did a quick check online to see what could be bought in the stores in case someone wanted to do a random drug test.

CVS / $25.99 / 4 Drug Test: Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, Methamphetamines. FDA cleared. 99.9% Accuracy.http://www.cvs.com/shop/home-health...sts/first-check-home-4-drug-test-skuid-343464

Unfortunately, heroin is derived from morphine(??) so that may not even help there.

Target / $35.99 / 12 Drug Test (7 illicit & 5 Rx): Cocaine, Phencyclidine (PCP), Methamphetamine, Marijuana, Amphetamines, Tricyclic Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Oxycodone, Opiates, Methadone, Barbiturates, Ecstasyhttp://www.target.com/p/first-check-at-home-12-drug-testing-kit/-/A-10238349

I'm not a doctor but, again, I don't think heroin falls into any of those categories. If any doctor is reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I am.

LOL SoCal I didn't even know they have at home drug test kits!

Wow these are impressive and tests for pretty much everything we test at the hospital. So there is no direct test for Heroine - it detects under opiates. But if that is positive and you suspect Heroin they have to do lab grade special confirmatory testing for the Heroin metabolite. When they do this then they can confirm that the opiate found is Heroine and quantify the levels for you. This obviously is beyond the home drug testing capabilities.

Paris said:
bones said:
SoCal said:
bones said:

I think the definition of "Rampant" is subjective based on area. It maybe 500 out of 2000 in Compton but like 25 out of 2000 in Irvine where the kids come from affluent families with good virtues blah blah. It's like gun violence which is "rampant" in Santa Ana but God forbid 1 incident in a Irvine high school and that would be considered "rampant" violence in a high class community  ;D

So 25 kids?  That's 1%. Maybe I'm naive but that's probably "normal". And yes, it sucks that ANY are doing hard drugs to begin with. 

Paris said:
bones said:
SoCal said:
bones said:

Did you do your research? Irvine is considered/ranked#7 as the highest city in America.
http://voiceofoc.org/2014/01/santa-ana-and-irvine-ranked-among-highest-cities-in-america/

I would be more worried about kids stealing prescription drugs from parents or grandparents. Anyone they know have Xanax, Valium, Oxycontin, or Percocet in their medicine cabinets?

iacrenter said:
I would be more worried about kids stealing prescription drugs from parents or grandparents. Anyone they know have Xanax, Valium, Oxycontin, or Percocet in their medicine cabinets?

oh yes, these prescription drugs are the number 1 abused class of drugs in this country. I could buy a house in newport cash if I sold these illegally on the steeets - they are that much in demand. In colleges one pill of Adderall sells for $25

Kids are naturally curious and parents need to not overact.  If you tell your kids that trying a drug will lead to becoming a toothless bag lady, they will know better since kids nowadays know how to use google.  If everyone who smoked pot became a raving drug addict, the majority of people in the US would be raving drug addicts.  If Irvine high schools had a rampant drug problem, it would be obvious and not some insight to be learned from a local pediatrician.

Back