Drugs

exactly. A local pediatrician would know the rampant use of drugs based only on her very tiny number of patients relative to the whole school district? according to a poster who is known to be jealous of Irvine and frequently post negative things about Irvine?

by the way, why pay for the drugs? those Foothill Ranch kids on limited allowance have learned to get their fix by indulging in the free laughing gas during their dental visits

Happiness said:
Kids are naturally curious and parents need to not overact.  If you tell your kids that trying a drug will lead to becoming a toothless bag lady, they will know better since kids nowadays know how to use google.  If everyone who smoked pot became a raving drug addict, the majority of people in the US would be raving drug addicts.  If Irvine high schools had a rampant drug problem, it would be obvious and not some insight to be learned from a local pediatrician.

Let's just call it what it is. The word rampant was used for click and comment bait. Eclipxe - take notes, for your BR threads!

Given how high achieving Irvine high schoolers are, we should find out what drugs they are taking and score some for our own kids.

For the fixation on the word "rampant": I wish I had exact percentages for you, pie graphs and pamphlets and stuff, but I do not. We didn't go to lunch. It came up during a doctor's visit to discuss other issues. This is the information that I do have. You can use whatever synonym you would like to use. The point is, she has seen it A LOT. I was in denial that we were even having this discussion at all or maybe that she misspoke. I asked her to repeat back what she said. She confirmed with more detail. I told her that since it sounds like a widespread thing, does she consider it to be an "epidemic"? As a parent of a high schooler in the not so distant future, I need to know. She said she wouldn't quite call it an "epidemic" yet only because she has practiced in one other city besides this location so she doesn't have a lot of different areas to compare it to. However, the other other area she practiced in is a high dollar area where she has seen drugs, too, but that there are more here.

From my own anecdote:

I have 2 (not one but TWO) relatives in South County who plan to home school their kids through high school because of their fear of "bad influences" in public school.

But at least they vaccinate. :)

bones said:
Let's just call it what it is. The word rampant was used for click and comment bait. Eclipxe - take notes, for your BR threads!

Take it or leave it. But I think anyone who dismisses this information is doing their kids a disservice. Now is not the time to get defensive over something like this. We need to be equipped as best we can so that we can prepare our kids. If nothing else, hopefully my post has planted a seed so that even one or two other parents will now be aware of the extra challenges kids face in this area. I, for one, am really glad that this came up.

This is NOT new. My kids knew about this when they were at Northwood High and my first daughter was in the first graduating class.

There are weapons there too in case you need something else to worry about.

SoCal said:
bones said:

Take it or leave it. But I think anyone who dismisses this information is doing their kids a disservice. Now is not the time to get defensive over something like this. We need to be equipped as best we can so that we can prepare our kids. If nothing else, hopefully my post has planted a seed so that even one or two other parents will now be aware of the extra challenges kids face in this area. I, for one, am really glad that this came up.

I'm not dismissing the info. Just trying to get a better handle on it. If 1% of the school is using hard drugs then that's different than say 10%. I guess I wasn't alarmed enough by your one pediatrician' story to have Amazon do same day delivery on home drug tests. But you're right, hopefully a few other parents stayed up late with you to order.

Ready2Downsize said:
This is NOT new. My kids knew about this when they were at Northwood High and my first daughter was in the first graduating class.

There are weapons there too in case you need something else to worry about.

I'm glad that you share your stories with us.

I don't want to get political, but have you notice this country has been going downwards since the guy has been in office.

When I interviewed pediatricians before my first daughter was born, one comment stuck in my head..... the pediatrician told me to pick someone I felt I could talk to about ANYTHING down the road from tantrums, potty training to my kid takes drugs and stole a car, what do I do? I kind of laughed and he said it won't be a laughing matter when they are teenagers and he was the pediatrician the doctors I worked with told me they all took their kids to with an office in Irvine.

My first daughter is 31, so how new could the drug problem be here?

Ready2Downsize said:

Interesting. Posters have mentioned the drugs at Northwood here on T.I. and back on IHB over the years. What year was that first graduating class?

Last night, I was talking to my husband and we were trying to remember what drugs we saw back when we were in high school. He said he never saw any drugs at all. I grew up in the nice new part of YL but had to be bussed to Anaheim because YL didn't have a high school back then. There was just this one girl who always showed up high. Dilated pupils, dressed like a hippie, and reeked of weed. One day she actually pulled it out in class and offered me some. That was the first, last, and only time I've seen a drug despite attending school with the children of professional athletes and the like from YL who could definitely afford it. I went to school with some rich and famous families. That's why this just blows my mind. Then again, I didn't surround myself with the party people so who knows what they were up to.

The first graduating class was 2002.

I went to Fountain Valley High, not rich but well off at the time. I never saw drugs myself but I knew they were readily available.

It all depends on which people you happen to get involved with. Your kids will spend more time and probably be more influenced by the company they keep (friends, schoolmates) by the time they get to high school than their parents. Peer pressure can really push kids in the wrong direction.

I would be more worried about alcohol use.

qwerty said:
Cmon guys don't try to get in the way of darwin.

It is impossible to get in Darwin's way.  People who have drug problems tend to be predisposed to having problems in general so if not drugs, it would be something else that causes the wheels to fall off (gambling, adultery, gluttony, alcoholism, overspending, etc).

Back in HS the asking price for a joint was $20, but at local community college it was $10.  I had suspicion that the college kids were supplying HS kids and making a profit.  $20 was quite a bit of $ back then when Disney admission costed less and you could fill your gas tank for $10-$12.  At Jr. College drugs were more common with evening class students.  I've witnessed girls trading happy ending for a joint at JC.

Those who used harder stuff like herion and crack didn't usually last long in school.  But freshmens had a pretty high dropout rate regardless.  By the decade's end the new crack at the dorm was EverQuest and I knew kids who either profitted from selling in-game stuff on ebay, or dropped out because they played too much.

Happiness said:
qwerty said:
Cmon guys don't try to get in the way of darwin.

It is impossible to get in Darwin's way.  People who have drug problems tend to be predisposed to having problems in general so if not drugs, it would be something else that causes the wheels to fall off (gambling, adultery, gluttony, alcoholism, overspending, etc).

I have a weakness for bread pudding, but that doesn't mean I inhale the stuff on daily basis.  I've also known girls who got pregnant and, through willpower, quit drugs, tobacco, and alcohol for their baby's health.

I understand addiction is a serious issue with many people, but if our expectation is that they'd throw themselves under the bus regardless, then you mind as well build futurama style suicide booths for them.

The California Court Company said:
exactly. A local pediatrician would know the rampant use of drugs based only on her very tiny number of patients relative to the whole school district? according to a poster who is known to be jealous of Irvine and frequently post negative things about Irvine?

by the way, why pay for the drugs? those Foothill Ranch kids on limited allowance have learned to get their fix by indulging in the free laughing gas during their dental visits

Not a pediatrician. Like I said earlier, a family physician. I believe she's practiced in Irvine about ten years. I've been seeing her for seven of those. It's a busy practice. (Nobody ask me to quantify "busy". I don't have charts.) CA Court, even you have to set your pride aside at one time or another to focus on greater issues at hand. Not everything is about Irvine vs. Foothill Ranch. I realize it's probably futile trying to reason with a troll but we are both parents. That much is true. We should be capable of setting aside differences to discuss important topics like adults. I am extending an olive branch to you so we can have a healthy conversation about something that puts kids at risk in this area. If you're not interested in having a non-caustic conversation, there are 15 other boards that you're welcome to visit.

Happiness said:
Kids are naturally curious and parents need to not overact.  If you tell your kids that trying a drug will lead to becoming a toothless bag lady, they will know better since kids nowadays know how to use google.  If everyone who smoked pot became a raving drug addict, the majority of people in the US would be raving drug addicts.  If Irvine high schools had a rampant drug problem, it would be obvious and not some insight to be learned from a local pediatrician.

True but there is no healthy amount of heroin. A first-time, single use, with enough of the illicit street drug, has the potential to kill a person in an O.D..

Back