Drugs

So Cal this is no more a problem for Irvine high schools than Saddleback. One of my sister's kids went to Trabuco High and the other to Dana Hlls and I can tell you Northwood was no worse than Trabuco or Dana Hills and drugs have been available for decades.

HOW can Irvine hide a rampant problem from the press? The press would love a sensational story about rampant Heroin use at Irvine schools.

Heroin abusers won't last long anyway. It's too addictive and kids will eventually drop out. Rampant abuse would eventually lead to a school with only a few kids left but who didn't use heroin.

Not saying there is no drug abuse or even heroin, but to say it's rampant and imply it's a problem unique to Irvine is not likely correct.

pisa said:
SoCal,
You have a clear anti-Irvine bias. That's OK. Up until you LOSE credibility by your SENSATIONALIZING and MISLEADING info (all under the guise of being oh so informative and neutral)

YOU have many INTERNET FRIENDS on this FORUM so you don't get CALLED OUT on it.

CCC may be a CRAZIE but he has some grains of truth on this.

Anyway, HOPE you ENJOY scouting around for your next big BREAKING NEWS Irvine Headline.

When I said I was extending an olive branch, it applies to this account as well. If you choose not to accept it well then that is up to you. I can only do my part.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt as well. However, you claim to want to "help me" while simultaneously judging what's in another person's heart based seemingly on your own preconceived notions as a new member who joined this year. That's the pot calling the kettle black, Sir. Thanks but I think I'll pass on that kind of "help" for now. Maybe we'll see how things go in the future. Anyhow, I digress. You don't have to take my word for it. I would encourage any parent of a teen or pre-teen to speak to their own doctor about this, in whatever neighborhood you live in, to stay abreast of the issue. Or just stick your head in the sand. Whatever. The bottom line is I'm not here to make you comfortable. I'm here to tell the truth.

I doubt Irvine has a high percentage of drug users relative to say...LA or the high desert. You can look at this websitehttp://streetrx.com/to gauge relative use by location. People use it to post their purchase prices so others can get a sense of what's a fair price point to buy and sell.

I wouldn't bother with the home UDS kits unless there's clear suspicion. Most synthetics clear the urine after several days so unless the kid is a chronic user, you won't find anything save for marijuana. You also run the rare risk of a false positive so your kid will hate your guts.

I also doubt heroin is that prevalent. Use has increased since prescription pain medication regulation tightened but pills are still more common. It's also a big leap for most users to go from chewing pills to learning how to IV anything. Most will chew, smoke, snort, or even rectal plug before they IV.

SoCal said:
pisa said:
SoCal,
You have a clear anti-Irvine bias. That's OK. Up until you LOSE credibility by your SENSATIONALIZING and MISLEADING info (all under the guise of being oh so informative and neutral)

Anyway, HOPE you ENJOY scouting around for your next big BREAKING NEWS Irvine Headline.

When I said I was extending an olive branch, it applies to this account as well. If you choose not to accept it well then that is up to you. I can only do my part.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt as well. However, you claim to want to "help me" while simultaneously judging what's in another person's heart based seemingly on your own preconceived notions as a new member who joined this year. That's the pot calling the kettle black, Sir. Thanks but I think I'll pass on that kind of "help" for now. Maybe we'll see how things go in the future. Anyhow, I digress. You don't have to take my word for it. I would encourage any parent of a teen or pre-teen to speak to their own doctor about this, in whatever neighborhood you live in, to stay abreast of the issue. Or just stick your head in the sand. Whatever. The bottom line is I'm not here to make you comfortable. I'm here to tell the truth.
I'm not CCC. Sorry
I'm not trying to be PALS but THX for the offer. So Gracious.

So you've TRULY ENLIGHTENED all us parents drugs are a SERIOUS issue (but are too scared to provide your doc's name). Great. Now please go find the next petty theft.

SoCal said:
pisa said:
SoCal,

Speaking of doctors, have you considered switching family doctors to someone not in irvine?  given the rampant drug situation here and the propensity for these drug users to visit your current doctor, you wouldn't want your boys to somehow get hooked on drugs while in the waiting room :(

Ready2Downsize said:
So Cal this is no more a problem for Irvine high schools than Saddleback. One of my sister's kids went to Trabuco High and the other to Dana Hlls and I can tell you Northwood was no worse than Trabuco or Dana Hills and drugs have been available for decades.

Yeah, I see it more your way. However, if someone has the same ideology as CA Court where they think there is this gigantic gap in economic status between those two school districts, then the whole idea is irreducibly complex. It would follow the narrative to say that an IUSD kid is rolling up Benjamins to snort high quality, expensively-potent coke, while the SVUSD student has no money and has to bum a hit off some cheap roach being passed around or the example given about huffing laughing gas. You can't really have it both ways. Either they both can afford it or they can't. Either both districts are at risk or they're not. Either the kids have access to pricey, deadly street drugs or they don't. Which is it? I am unfamiliar with the street price of heroin but I have my doubts most OC kids would have much trouble affording it even if it's not coming directly from the parents. If the heroin is one O.C. school, it can be in any of the O.C. schools, which is why I'm concerned. I don't feel SVUSD is immune to the problem. I brought that up to the doctor but she specifically said it's a bigger problem in Irvine, compared to where she practiced earlier, because they have an even greater ability to afford it through skimming their allowance.

Heroin is cheaper than prescription drugs. That's one of the reasons it has gained a foothold.

So if you think it's a cost thing then it should be more prevalent in lower income areas than high.

bones said:
Speaking of doctors, have you considered switching family doctors to someone not in irvine?

I've considered it since moving but she really is a good doctor. She is on the ball and has a great bedside manner, which is hard to find. She is the perfect combo for me & I love her. I don't mind driving a few extra minutes now to see her. Psssst!: Just don't tell Pisa that she is Chinese. That would damage his narrative that I'm a card-carrying member of the KKK.

SoCal said:
bones said:
Speaking of doctors, have you considered switching family doctors to someone not in irvine?

I've considered it since moving but she really is a good doctor. She is on the ball and has a great bedside manner, which is hard to find. She is the perfect combo for me & I love her. I don't mind driving a few extra minutes now to see her. Psssst!: Just don't tell Pisa that she is Chinese. That would damage his narrative that I'm a card-carrying member of the KKK.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,13251.msg266858.html#msg266858

Some of your posts show stereotyping and lack of sensitivity and understanding of Asians IMO

Sorry for you if you can't understand why someone would think that

SoCal said:
I am unfamiliar with the street price of heroin but I have my doubts most OC kids would have much trouble affording it even if it's not coming directly from the parents. If the heroin is one O.C. school, it can be in any of the O.C. schools, which is why I'm concerned. I don't feel SVUSD is immune to the problem. I brought that up to the doctor but she specifically said it's a bigger problem in Irvine, compared to where she practiced earlier, because they have an even greater ability to afford it through skimming their allowance.

Wow...

Happiness said:
If a doctor examining a minor asks the parent to step out of the room, its time to find a new doctor.

I don't know if you're referring to the doctor I'm posting about? To clarify, she never asks the parents to step out of the room for physical exams. It's the opposite. She asks them to remain in the room for those. The teen questionnaire is the part they will ask to speak privately in case the child needs to share something with the doctor that they are afraid to express in front of the parent. 

SoCal said:
Happiness said:
If a doctor examining a minor asks the parent to step out of the room, its time to find a new doctor.

I don't know if you're referring to the doctor I'm posting about? To clarify, she never asks the parents to step out of the room for physical exams. It's the opposite. She asks them to remain in the room for those. The teen questionnaire is the part they will ask to speak privately in case the child needs to share something with the doctor that they are afraid to express in front of the parent.
There is no justification for a doctor to ask your kid anything in private.  You do not know what the doctor tells you about what transpired in the private session is accurate or not.  A doctor, like a priest, will be viewed by the child as an authority figure.  Just imagine what can go wrong.  You do not know if the doctor has a hidden agenda. 

Happiness said:
SoCal said:
Happiness said:

There is no justification for a doctor to ask your kid anything in private.  You do not know what the doctor tells you about what transpired in the private session is accurate or not.  A doctor, like a priest, will be viewed by the child as an authority figure.  Just imagine what can go wrong.  You do not know if the doctor has a hidden agenda.
No idea if this is true or not, but I was getting my annual biometric blood work done yesterday and the nurses were telling me that for children aged 12 or older, Kaiser won't even issue paperwork with child medical records to parents. That information is to be kept private and has to be delivered to the actual child.  My kids are 2 and 3 months so I have no earthly idea but I found the whole thing relatively interesting (also seemed pretty insane so like I said, not sure it is true). They said it wasn't just a Kaiser thing as the Kaiser people they had talked to indicated it was them complying with a California state law. 

I can not for the life of me figure out how to edit an image with black-out thingies to protect private information and the crops are not the right proportion. But what I have been trying to post for the past hour or so is a picture I took of one of the forms at the doctor's office because of what it said at the bottom of the form. I'm going to have to type it out. Here is what it says:

"Note: Minors 12 years and older may consent to medical diagnosis, or treatment of the following: infectious or communicable diseases which must be reported to the local health officer; STDs, rape or HIV testing, mental health therapy or drug or alcohol related problems. Minors of any age may consent to medical diagnosis and/or treatment of the following: contraception, pregnancy, and diagnosis or treatment of sexual assault."

I like to think that I am pretty impartial to the surrounding cities after being pretty familiar with each of them. I feel that I can objectively give the pros and cons to any of the areas around here.

SoCal - I have observed some comments that you have made where you use one or two words that take your idea from informative to something that can be seen as derogatory especially by members within that immediate area.

Example, home invasion robberies are often referenced when subjects enter homes, subdue the victims, and use violence towards members of the house.  What you posted seemed to be a burglary where subjects entered a home and stole property without the members of the family being home. 

In this thread, you mentioned rampant.  I, too, would want to "set the record straight" as many have done here. 

I know that I have seen people stating "facts" that I feel are misleading and have privately messaged a member in one situation when "I felt enough was enough".  Haven't seen that person bring that "fact" up anymore.

Back on topic - drugs are going to end up pretty much anywhere.  I do believe that I have heard about heroin use from a parent of a couple high school students who happen to be in South OC schools. 

Doesn't take long to find some articles about heroin use in schools across Orange County.  http://www.ocregister.com/articles/high-597631-school-laguna.html

Drugs have always been an issue and unfortunately that will continue until people have the confidence within themselves to be who they want to be without being influenced by substances.

A lot of our society is built on the belief that we need X to attain Y. 
"Don't talk to me until I've had my cup of coffee."
"You need to drink sports drinks during athletic events"

Back