Cressa at Portola Springs - The New Home Company

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eatthis said:
Perspective said:
What's shocking is that this violates federal law. Advertising for housing isn't supposed to target certain demographics, but many Irvine builders' ads clearly target certain demographics.

Maybe all the pictures of happy couple are discriminating against single folks. Or, all the pictures of happy families are discrimination against childless couples. Com' on now!

Well, you can mock the law, but you're right. Family status is a protected class in this context just like race. 

"The provisions of the Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 3600, et seq.) make it unlawful to discriminate in the sale, rental, and financing of housing, and in the provision of brokerage and appraisal services, because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. Section 804(c) of the Fair Housing Act, 42 U.S.C. 3604(c), as amended, makes it unlawful to make, print, or publish, or cause to be made, printed, or published, any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling, that indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin, or an intention to make any such preference, limitation, or discrimination. However, the prohibitions of the act regarding familial status do not apply with respect to housing for older persons, as defined in section 807(b) of the act."

Well maybe you should take them to court. But I think possibly it may be considered frivolous or a bad faith lawsuit.

Is it reasonable to have every ethencity on a home builders webpage or advertisement? It's all subjective if you think a certain race is targeted.

If the advertisement said, we have a special loan home buying program from China to Irvine, then I would say that's discriminatory.

It wasn't a frivolous claim in this case which proceeded beyond preliminary judgment (and likely resulted in settlement):

"Plaintiffs, African-American persons, looking for housing in the New York metropolitan area, filed suit against defendant, a newspaper publisher, for publishing real estate advertisements featuring models of whom virtually none were African-American, and ads violated the Fair Housing Act of 1968, 42 U.S.C.S. ? 3601 et. seq. Plaintiffs' complaint alleged that defendant's publication of ads in which the models of potential customers were always white and the few African-American models represented service employees violated ? 3604(c), which prohibited the publication real estate advertisements for the sale or rental of a dwelling that indicated any preference based on race. Affirming the lower court's refusal to dismiss plaintiffs' complaint for failure to state a claim, the court held that plaintiffs' complaint could be fairly read to allege a violation of ? 3604(c), stating a claim for which relief could be granted. Applying the ordinary reader test, the court found that a trier of fact could have plausibly concluded that the ads with models of a particular race could be read as indicating a racial preference so that plaintiffs' complaint could not be dismissed." 923 F.2d 995; 1991 U.S. App. LEXIS 1017; 18 Media L. Rep. 1666.

Perspective said:
eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eatthis said:
Perspective said:
What's shocking is that this violates federal law. Advertising for housing isn't supposed to target certain demographics, but many Irvine builders' ads clearly target certain demographics.

Maybe all the pictures of happy couple are discriminating against single folks. Or, all the pictures of happy families are discrimination against childless couples. Com' on now!

Well, you can mock the law, but you're right. Family status is a protected class in this context just like race. 

"The provisions of the Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 3600, et seq.) make it unlawful to discriminate in the sale, rental, and financing of housing, and in the provision of brokerage and appraisal services, because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. Section 804(c) of the Fair Housing Act, 42 U.S.C. 3604(c), as amended, makes it unlawful to make, print, or publish, or cause to be made, printed, or published, any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling, that indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin, or an intention to make any such preference, limitation, or discrimination. However, the prohibitions of the act regarding familial status do not apply with respect to housing for older persons, as defined in section 807(b) of the act."

Well maybe you should take them to court. But I think possibly it may be considered frivolous or a bad faith lawsuit.

Is it reasonable to have every ethencity on a home builders webpage or advertisement? It's all subjective if you think a certain race is targeted.

If the advertisement said, we have a special loan home buying program from China to Irvine, then I would say that's discriminatory.

It wasn't a frivolous claim in this case which proceeded beyond preliminary judgment (and likely resulted in settlement):

"Plaintiffs, African-American persons, looking for housing in the New York metropolitan area, filed suit against defendant, a newspaper publisher, for publishing real estate advertisements featuring models of whom virtually none were African-American, and ads violated the Fair Housing Act of 1968, 42 U.S.C.S. ? 3601 et. seq. Plaintiffs' complaint alleged that defendant's publication of ads in which the models of potential customers were always white and the few African-American models represented service employees violated ? 3604(c), which prohibited the publication real estate advertisements for the sale or rental of a dwelling that indicated any preference based on race. Affirming the lower court's refusal to dismiss plaintiffs' complaint for failure to state a claim, the court held that plaintiffs' complaint could be fairly read to allege a violation of ? 3604(c), stating a claim for which relief could be granted. Applying the ordinary reader test, the court found that a trier of fact could have plausibly concluded that the ads with models of a particular race could be read as indicating a racial preference so that plaintiffs' complaint could not be dismissed." 923 F.2d 995; 1991 U.S. App. LEXIS 1017; 18 Media L. Rep. 1666.

"Likely resulted in a settlement"  idk

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
"Likely resulted in a settlement"  idk

What is it that you don't know?

What's the exact name of the case?

The three citations are insufficient?

923 F.2d 995, *; 1991 U.S. App. LEXIS 1017, **;
18 Media L. Rep. 1666 

LUTHER M. RAGIN, JR., DEBORAH FISH RAGIN, RENAYE B. CUYLER, JEROME F. CUYLER and OPEN HOUSING CENTER, INC., Plaintiffs-Appellees, v. THE NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY, Defendant-Appellant

No. 90-7389

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SECOND CIRCUIT

923 F.2d 995; 1991 U.S. App. LEXIS 1017; 18 Media L. Rep. 1666

October 17, 1990, Argued
January 23, 1991, Decided

Here is a question for you, how is it that the builders pay different incentives to agents based upon where the buyer came from. For example, I have heard some builders are paying a higher commission for foreign buyers (as well as giving a pretty large stipend to cover the travel related expenses of the foreign buyer). All foreign buyers are treated equally, but isn't that ultimately discriminating (especially on the commission side) to a particular buyer? 

I presume they would argue it is to cover the increased costs related to being the agent for a foreign buyer (i.e., agent themselves, could theoretically be from another country and thus have to incur additional expenses on there own side). In reality, I presume not many of the agents are actually traveling and are locally based with connections to various foreign markets.  Just curious. 

Note: This is in no way related to LaCressa.  I did hear some developments in BP do it and I presume if they do it, others do as well. 

Bullsback said:
Here is a question for you, how is it that the builders pay different incentives to agents based upon where the buyer came from. For example, I have heard some builders are paying a higher commission for foreign buyers (as well as giving a pretty large stipend to cover the travel related expenses of the foreign buyer). All foreign buyers are treated equally, but isn't that ultimately discriminating (especially on the commission side) to a particular buyer? 

I presume they would argue it is to cover the increased costs related to being the agent for a foreign buyer (i.e., agent themselves, could theoretically be from another country and thus have to incur additional expenses on there own side). In reality, I presume not many of the agents are actually traveling and are locally based with connections to various foreign markets.  Just curious. 

Note: This is in no way related to LaCressa.  I did hear some developments in BP do it and I presume if they do it, others do as well.

I agree. That sounds like something that might violate the Fair Housing Act because national origin is a protected class.

42 USCS ? 3605.  Discrimination in residential real estate-related transactions

(a) In general. It shall be unlawful for any person or other entity whose business includes engaging in residential real estate-related transactions to discriminate against any person in making available such a transaction, or in the terms or conditions of such a transaction, because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.

(b) "Residential real estate-related transaction" defined. As used in this section, the term "residential real estate-related transaction" means any of the following:
  (1) The making or purchasing of loans or providing other financial assistance--
      (A) for purchasing, constructing, improving, repairing, or maintaining a dwelling; or
      (B) secured by residential real estate.
  (2) The selling, brokering, or appraising of residential real property. ...

So much discussion about possible discrimination based on the housing act, is anyone even remotely serious about starting a lawsuit?  Or just practicing for the debate club?

MFWIC said:
So much discussion about possible discrimination based on the housing act, is anyone even remotely serious about starting a lawsuit?  Or just practicing for the debate club?

So, a discussion on whether Cressi's ads featuring a disproportionate share of Asian actors might violate federal law, requires an interest in filing a lawsuit?

Compare Cressa at 2800-3000 sqft to a nearby 3,000 sqft floorplan and tell me which one you'd prefer

Attachments

• 1st floor.png
    1st floor.png
    97 KB · Views: 376
  • 2nd floor.png
    2nd floor.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 381
paperboyNC said:
Compare Cressa at 2800-3000 sqft to a nearby 3,000 sqft floorplan and tell me which one you'd prefer

I would prefer the second one, hands down. I'm assuming it's Baker Ranch (which I have a soft spot for).

Definitely the Baker Ranch plan...but location > floor plan for most people and me personally

irviniteeee said:
paperboyNC said:

I would prefer the second one, hands down. I'm assuming it's Baker Ranch (which I have a soft spot for).

AW said:
The 2nd one secondary rooms are tiny
Cressa, because it's Irvine :)

How big are Cressa's secondary rooms?

I just wish Irvine new homes would have a grand entrance (two story foyer and two story great room) in the low millions.

downstairs bedroom is 10'10"x 12'4"
upstairs bedrooms are 14'4"x 11'0" and 12'0"x 15'2"

you have to go to their website and it highlights the measurements (doesn't work on mobile phone)

Cressa downstairs bedroom is 10'10"x 12'4"

Highlands is 14'5" x11'

upstairs bedroom #1 Cressa is 14'4"x 11'0"
Highlands is 13'6" x 11'
Upstairs bedroom #2 Cressa is 12'0"x 15'2"
Highlands is 11x11

#3 upstairs: opt. Cressa 11x10'6" highlands

#4 upstairs:  none Cressa highlands opt.

So 1 is bigger in Baker ranch (downstairs) while 1 is bigger in Cressa. I'd call it a tie.

I hope that your measurements were for the full rectangles for Cressa because the bedrooms stick out a little for the doorway.

you have to go to their website and it highlights the measurements (doesn't work on mobile phone)
[/quote]

Here's a gamechanger:
There is a light at the corner of Portola Springs and Mojeska.  Will the street, Portola Springs, continue into the development overlooking Legato  and the cul-de-sacs of Cressa?

It looks like it leads to the new homes possibly being developed even higher up the hill.

Who wants road traffic right above your home?  Anyone know?

The I-R-V said:
Here's a gamechanger:
There is a light at the corner of Portola Springs and Mojeska.  Will the street, Portola Springs, continue into the development overlooking Legato  and the cul-de-sacs of Cressa?

It looks like it leads to the new homes possibly being developed even higher up the hill.

Who wants road traffic right above your home?  Anyone know?

If you google Portola springs master plan, some of the original master plan images show up. In those images, the road does extend.

Yeah, if you go there, you kinda already know there'll be a street to PS4, it's even on some of the renderings.  The next PS homes that overlooks will have nice views.  Like a discounted OH, lol

If you have a chance, grab the villages of Irvine booklet at any of the Irvine company sales office, it has portola springs in better detail as to the potential new roads and parks.

Back