Cressa at Portola Springs - The New Home Company

aquabliss said:
Did you see the models?  How did you find the great rooms?  They all look tiny from the floorplans.

The great room should be renamed flex space... It's tiny as you can imagine.  Probably the only drawback from the plan 3 for us.  But Palo Alto and Lafayette also the same way.  I just don't get it.  ~3k sq ft house but you're forced to sit 6 feet away from the TV. 

Interestingly, the crowd was more diverse (unlike EW's opening), maybe vip events are different in general. 

Frank, you thinking of buying? 

I generally liked the houses.  I thought the family rooms were better than Layfayette, not quite as good as Palo Alot.  The kitchen in the plan 3 was fantastic in my opinion and it also had a ginormous loft / bonus room.  In general, solid homes.  I thought all things considered, the plan 2 was a pretty darn good use of space for a 2600 sq foot home as well. Plan 1 didn't fit my needs. In general, pricing seemed fair.  I got there a bit on the early side, but the place was packed.  Location seemed pretty nice (and the street set-up is a major plus...kind of like Strada, imo). When you get to those later phases, there are going to be some pretty unique lots by Irvine standards. 

AW said:
aquabliss said:
Did you see the models?  How did you find the great rooms?  They all look tiny from the floorplans.

The great room should be renamed flex space... It's tiny as you can imagine.  Probably the only drawback from the plan 3 for us.  But Palo Alto and Lafayette also the same way.  I just don't get it.  ~3k sq ft house but you're forced to sit 6 feet away from the TV. 

Interestingly, the crowd was more diverse (unlike EW's opening), maybe vip events are different in general. 

I need to wait for at least next phase. I didn't like phase 1 at all. If you check site map, you will see Big Oak is too crowded and noisy. It's the only way to get out of this enclosed Legado neighborhood. I really want to choose some quiet location.

BTW, phase 1 open from site 9,10,11,12, 13,14, 32,33

cressa.jpg

AW said:
aquabliss said:

Agreed. And there's only one spot for the TV. So if you choose the optional fireplace, the TV will have to be above that, much higher than ideal viewing height.

AW said:
aquabliss said:

EW opening was an Asian Convention. Lol

eyephone said:
AW said:
aquabliss said:

TNHC is a pioneer of aggressively marketing to Asians so the difference in shopper demographic between EW and PS3 could be cemetery phobia keeping the Asians away from PS3. 

Happiness said:
eyephone said:
AW said:
aquabliss said:

TNHC is a pioneer of aggressively marketing to Asians so the difference in shopper demographic between EW and PS3 could be cemetery phobia keeping the Asians away from PS3.

What's shocking is that this violates federal law. Advertising for housing isn't supposed to target certain demographics, but many Irvine builders' ads clearly target certain demographics.

Perspective said:
Happiness said:
eyephone said:
AW said:
aquabliss said:

What's shocking is that this violates federal law. Advertising for housing isn't supposed to target certain demographics, but many Irvine builders' ads clearly target certain demographics.

It's too hard to prove. is using white people in their ads targeting certain demographics?

Perspective said:

Maybe all the pictures of happy couple are discriminating against single folks. Or, all the pictures of happy families are discrimination against childless couples. Com' on now!

eatthis said:
Perspective said:

Maybe all the pictures of happy couple are discriminating against single folks. Or, all the pictures of happy families are discrimination against childless couples. Com' on now!

Well, you can mock the law, but you're right. Family status is a protected class in this context just like race. 

"The provisions of the Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 3600, et seq.) make it unlawful to discriminate in the sale, rental, and financing of housing, and in the provision of brokerage and appraisal services, because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. Section 804(c) of the Fair Housing Act, 42 U.S.C. 3604(c), as amended, makes it unlawful to make, print, or publish, or cause to be made, printed, or published, any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling, that indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin, or an intention to make any such preference, limitation, or discrimination. However, the prohibitions of the act regarding familial status do not apply with respect to housing for older persons, as defined in section 807(b) of the act."

Perspective said:
eatthis said:
Perspective said:

Well, you can mock the law, but you're right. Family status is a protected class in this context just like race. 

"The provisions of the Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 3600, et seq.) make it unlawful to discriminate in the sale, rental, and financing of housing, and in the provision of brokerage and appraisal services, because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. Section 804(c) of the Fair Housing Act, 42 U.S.C. 3604(c), as amended, makes it unlawful to make, print, or publish, or cause to be made, printed, or published, any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to the sale or rental of a dwelling, that indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin, or an intention to make any such preference, limitation, or discrimination. However, the prohibitions of the act regarding familial status do not apply with respect to housing for older persons, as defined in section 807(b) of the act."

Well maybe you should take them to court. But I think possibly it may be considered frivolous or a bad faith lawsuit.

Is it reasonable to have every ethencity on a home builders webpage or advertisement? It's all subjective if you think a certain race is targeted.

If the advertisement said, we have a special loan home buying program from China to Irvine, then I would say that's discriminatory.

I'll review the case law and get back to you. A long time ago I was at a small credit union. We chose to not include any people in our ads to avoid any doubt whether a protected class was being preferred or not.

I agree with your point eyephone. Doesn't this mean it's exactly the wrong time to buy? lol

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I wonder if this is the first time TIC has had 6 villages for sale at the same time.

In the last 10-15 years, I can only remember a maximum of 3 for sale at one time.

It's a good time to sell for builders.

Milk the cow like crazy, when the price of milk is high. Build homes when the price per sq ft is high. (Bad analogy, but you know what I mean)

In general, more diverse than EW opening.
Since parking was hectic, you can actually drive into quiet grove and see the lots for the last phase.

Cressa1_zpsesiuwqlg.jpg

Just got back, toured Legado and Cressa.  Decent crowd, not sure how it compared to Eastwood's opening.  About 75% Asian, rest is mixed. 

HOA around $130, MR around $5000

Attachments

• Cressa Phase 1 Pricing.pdf
    793.9 KB · Views: 161
aquabliss said:
Soooooooooooo did anybody go?  Thoughts, pics?

When you enter the community, they give you a map. (They stop you, and there is a concrete baracade. Interesting approach. I thought it was security, but they just greet people)

The ceiling of 1st floor is 9 feet high, comparing to other new homes, which are 10 feet ceilings....

Dispointed...

ps9 said:
Just got back, toured Legado and Cressa.  Decent crowd, not sure how it compared to Eastwood's opening.  About 75% Asian, rest is mixed. 
Yep, mix felt like that,
3/4 for PS
9/10 for EW

10 ft ceilings do make a difference. Wished it had that. 

Grand opening was decent. Boba truck and funnel cake truck offered free, not the BP format where they invite the trucks but you have to pay. Crowd had a decent mix, still majority Asian. I like the Cressa plan 3. Nice size loft, too bad for the low ceilings.

Back