COX v. UVERSE

My cox internet 1 year promotion ended now and 50 MBPS plan has gone up to $79. Is there any way to get the same lower price from Cox?

Any special number to contact (retentions/loyalty)?

All tips appreciated.

Thanks

quizzer said:
My cox internet 1 year promotion ended now and 50 MBPS plan has gone up to $79. Is there any way to get the same lower price from Cox?

All tips appreciated.

Thanks

For cox, I actually walked straight into the woodbury town center one and just told them I wanted the new promotion.  The regular sales said no problem.  This was about a year ago, not sure if things have changed

Some time ago, the one at Woodbury gave me the promo when I asked for retention, and when it expired, I asked again, they didn't.  So I went to the one in Quail Hill and those folks did.  Probably could've saved me some time by just picking up the phone, lol.
If that doesn't work, going to a reseller may work, never thought of that.

quizzer said:

All tips appreciated.

Thanks

Think these are the current rates:
Cox:
Ultimate 300/30 for $100 (12mo)
Premiere 150/10 for $88 (12mo)
Preferred 50/5 for $78 (12mo)
Essential 15/2 for $63 (12mo)

AT&T Gigapower:
1G  w/ unlimited cap for $80 (24mo)
100M w/ 1TB/mo cap for $60 (24mo)
45M w/ 1TB/mo cap for $50 (24mo)
24M w/ 1TB/mo cap for $40 (24mo)

I ended up switching to AT&T as since I'm a wireless customer/directTV I get some bundling discounts. Also AT&T is fiber in my area so getting 1G up AND down. Cox the upload was always constrained. The upload only really matters if you have a server setup or you use cloud backups which I do for all my computers (via crashplan).

For the best deal you should try both in store and on the phone. AT&T online wouldn't give me any deals. But when I went into the Woodbury AT&T store they were willing to give me a $50 discount on the first bill. At first they said there were no further promos or discount but they were eager to sign me up today. I said I'll think about it and walk over to Cox to see what they can do and then they offered the $50 off first bill.

Not the greatest deals, as you can score a $200 off on any bundles, but I'm a cord cutter so wasn't interested. I do see that if you are an Internet customers, they are again offering $200 gift card if you add DirectTV but they now INCLUDE DirectTV NOW as an option. So that could be appealing.

I already got DirectTV Now (switched form Sling) with the free AppleTV deal.

If you're doing PURE internet only think Cox might be the best right now, but if you can bundle and you care about 1:1 up and down then AT&T Gigabit would be better.

In reality, I just switch between the two each year and see what's the best deal going on. I will say that the new AT&T gateway is better then before, not as huge and got more coverage with dual band.

Oh with Cox you need to rent the modem or buy one (you can just buy one from Costco or in my case I went to the Cox store and they gave me a free one as part of the their in-store promo). So it pays to shop around. AT&T you must use their equipment but now their price includes all the equipment bundled in so you don't get as many "surprise" chargers as before.

Good luck!

I will be moving to Irvine (Cypress Village) and will need internet plan (no TV, no bundle). I can choose between Cox "Preferred" 50/5 ($60-75) and AT&T Uverse "Internet 50" 50/10 ($50).

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with AT&T U-Verse considering it's $25/month cheaper for mostly the same speeds?

Just need it for casual gaming, internet for 2 people, some streaming (don't currently use/have Netflix). Is AT&T really that unreliable or speed not as advertised? I already have my own cable modem (SB6141) and an AC1750 router so if I went with Cox, I won't be renting -- but I won't be able to use my modem if I get AT&T.

Haven't had DSL since early 2000s. Heard horror stories of U-Verse being slow years ago, but looks like they've somewhat caught up to cable/fiber. Thanks in advance!

We have uverse (no bundle, no tv). Cox was not available at the time. They charge for the gateway but it's refunded in a visa gc. We don't use it for gaming but we stream a couple devices (sling, Netflix and amazon prime) along with surfing the net all at once. No issues with speed or freezing up.

We pay $37 including taxes per month. (I told them I wanted a discount or I was going to cox after my first promo was up so I have another year. Going to do the same when my time is up again).

Sorry in advanced for bumping an old thread, but figured this may be useful for people later on in the future.

Ended up going with AT&T UVerse (100/10) instead of Cox (100/5) and have been extremely happy with UVerse although everywhere says avoid AT&T because it's extremely slow, spotty, etc. Glad I went with them and saved that cash.

Have had great service. No need to get a modem or router (it's 802.11ac too). Coverage is great. Speeds are very fast and consistent throughout the day even at peak times. No random reboots/spikes/lag. I worTo note, this is in a newer apartment in Cypress Village and across the street has Google Fiber (Avella) so maybe degradation hasn't caught up yet.

I'm sure Cox would have been great, but I would have had to purchase a modem, a wireless ac router, and pay more per month + pay more when promo ends.

Anyway, thanks to those who provided feedback on this.

fuzi0n said:
Sorry in advanced for bumping an old thread, but figured this may be useful for people later on in the future.

Ended up going with AT&T UVerse (100/10) instead of Cox (100/5) and have been extremely happy with UVerse although everywhere says avoid AT&T because it's extremely slow, spotty, etc. Glad I went with them and saved that cash.

Have had great service. No need to get a modem or router (it's 802.11ac too). Coverage is great. Speeds are very fast and consistent throughout the day even at peak times. No random reboots/spikes/lag. I worTo note, this is in a newer apartment in Cypress Village and across the street has Google Fiber (Avella) so maybe degradation hasn't caught up yet.

I'm sure Cox would have been great, but I would have had to purchase a modem, a wireless ac router, and pay more per month + pay more when promo ends.

Anyway, thanks to those who provided feedback on this.

Get on chat when your year is up and tell them you are thinking of going to cox because they have a promo so what can they offer u. They'll try to get u to upgrade speed, etc but just keep telling them you need to keep the price down.

We have done it twice. Each time our speed was upgraded significantly for only another $3 per month.

Happy with our service. Cox at our old place would have outages every few months.

I cut the cable months ago... but went to DirecTV when AT&T was running that $25 special for 4 TVs.

We actually don't watch very much live TV but at $25 per month, we'll keep it for at least a year.

I think the biggest need for us was to be able to DVR shows. Not all the streaming options have that... we tried YouTube TV for that free month and although they have unlimited DVR (everyone else has a GB limits), once the show is released by the network as OnDemand, your "DVR copy" becomes the OnDemand one and you can't forward thorugh commercials any more, which defeats one of the biggest reasons why we DVR.

We have a few TVs that aren't connected to DirecTV and for those we can use OTA channels or stream.

Not paying that $170 just for cable TV is quite relieving.

When Hulu came out with live TV last year, I just cut the DirectTV. 

Use it through Apple TV and I'm pretty satisfy with it so far.  It does not has that much channels but it is a lot cheaper than DirectTV.

lnc said:

Use it through Apple TV and I'm pretty satisfy with it so far.  It does not has that much channels but it is a lot cheaper than DirectTV.

Hulu Live is $40/mo, my DirecTV satellite is $25/mo with AT&T discount.

irvinehomeowner said:
lnc said:

Hulu Live is $40/mo, my DirecTV satellite is $25/mo with AT&T discount.

Yeah, but I had DirecTV by itself so it was over $100 a month.

ATT/DirecTV is pretty good deal but since my kid watch Hulu more than DirecTV, Hulu Live with some local channel added just work out better for us. 

Anyone with any new insight here?  Just closed on our house and wondering if I should switch to ATT after being with Cox for 8 years.  Promotions look pretty attractive for ATT.

For TV, anything but Cox is cheaper.

More of my friends have been cutting the cord.

The DirecTV Now service just rolled out DVR but I?ve been told it?s buggy.

One of my buddies uses PSVue with Roku boxes and doesn?t miss Cox at all.

We only use Cox for internet.

Been paying $135 for ATT Gigabit and U200 package with no charge for DVR and 1 free wireless receiver, they also provide free modem/router and have had no issues with it, probably could get better coverage with the Orbi, but no one's complained yet.  Got $400 in GC's too at signup and free install, Cox wasn't anywhere close to that.  Been getting 900+/900+ upload/download consistently when wired, so speeds are as advertised.  I was previously on Cox and could never get close to their advertised speed.

For those of you cutting the cord, I assume you pay for the quickest internet at ~$70-80/month + a service for $45-50?  That about right?

akkord said:
For those of you cutting the cord, I assume you pay for the quickest internet at ~$70-80/month + a service for $45-50?  That about right?

Paying a discounted $99 for giga Cox Internet and $25 for DirecTV satellite.

Back