COX v. UVERSE

akkord said:
For those of you cutting the cord, I assume you pay for the quickest internet at ~$70-80/month + a service for $45-50?  That about right?

Yea sounds about right. I pay about $70 for internet and then cobble together HBO/sling/Netflix/Hulu depending on the time of the year for various sports/shows.

akkord said:
Been paying $135 for ATT Gigabit and U200 package with no charge for DVR and 1 free wireless receiver, they also provide free modem/router and have had no issues with it, probably could get better coverage with the Orbi, but no one's complained yet.  Got $400 in GC's too at signup and free install, Cox wasn't anywhere close to that.  Been getting 900+/900+ upload/download consistently when wired, so speeds are as advertised.  I was previously on Cox and could never get close to their advertised speed.

For those of you cutting the cord, I assume you pay for the quickest internet at ~$70-80/month + a service for $45-50?  That about right?

AT&T gave me their new customer promo of $135 for Gigabit and U300. I already had 1 free wired and 1 free wireless receiver - think the free DVR is standard.

I have started streaming a lot, but most of the streaming services require a cable provider login.

paperboyNC said:
AT&T gave me their new customer promo of $135 for Gigabit and U300. I already had 1 free wired and 1 free wireless receiver - think the free DVR is standard.

I have started streaming a lot, but most of the streaming services require a cable provider login.

So after a year you called in and they gave you their newest deal.  Did I understand correctly?

akkord said:
Been paying $135 for ATT Gigabit and U200 package with no charge for DVR and 1 free wireless receiver, they also provide free modem/router and have had no issues with it, probably could get better coverage with the Orbi, but no one's complained yet.  Got $400 in GC's too at signup and free install, Cox wasn't anywhere close to that.  Been getting 900+/900+ upload/download consistently when wired, so speeds are as advertised.  I was previously on Cox and could never get close to their advertised speed.

Yeah I think we are at $70 for internet and $15 for netflix.  Have Amazon too but that's cuz prime.  Will be getting that Disney streaming thing when it comes available.

How much is u200 by itself?

akkord said:
paperboyNC said:

So after a year you called in and they gave you their newest deal.  Did I understand correctly?

I've had uverse for a long time - maybe 7 years. I call every year and ask for a new deal. This year they agreed to give me the new customer deal because I upgraded. Last year they gave me something in the middle because I downgraded.

Sounds a lot better than Cox that gives you the middle finger after a year and raise rates.  Calling in with Cox is hit or miss with discounts.

paperboyNC said:
akkord said:
paperboyNC said:

I've had uverse for a long time - maybe 7 years. I call every year and ask for a new deal. This year they agreed to give me the new customer deal because I upgraded. Last year they gave me something in the middle because I downgraded.

akkord said:
Sounds a lot better than Cox that gives you the middle finger after a year and raise rates.  Calling in with Cox is hit or miss with discounts.

paperboyNC said:
akkord said:
paperboyNC said:

I have 50 mps service for $80 so I'm pretty happy that cost.  Haven't seen anything in that price range with alternatives.

Edit:  Apparently Uverse is doing 300 mps for like $60 (with contract).

Thanks all.  I?ve had Cox for about 8 years and was paying $190-$200/ month for internet/cable and phone.  I only had phone because th plan was cheaper if I included the phone.  Again, I called Cox looking for only internet and cable and they again told me it would be cheaper to include the phone because they wouldn?t charge me the $50 ?installation fee?.  Ended up getting the same level cable and internet that was 4 times faster than what I had for $130 with the phone line that I won?t even use.

Back