Cox Internet preferred vs premier vs ultimate

Been that rate for awhile, its the new customer rate.  Premiere could be had for $60/month for 12 months. 

Just cancel and have your wife sign up.  Or chat online with sales and see if they can 'retain' you with a better rate.  Remember OS got a killer deal at his 'retainment'.  Good luck

Shouldn't it be 100mbs?  That's not double speed.  You have a nighthawk no?  What kind of modem?  SB6121 or SB6141 or something else?

ps9 said:
Shouldn't it be 100mbs?  That's not double speed.  You have a nighthawk no?  What kind of modem?  SB6121 or SB6141 or something else?

i have a nighthawk. not sure what modem i have - ill have to check, it is wifi, i dont think you will get the 100 on wifi. perhaps on a wired connection.  i read somewhere when researching the gigabit speed that a cox tech recommended the nighthawk router for gigabit but that on wifi you would get about 600 mbs, not the full gig. mentioned that for full gig speed you would need a wired connection. so if that statement is true that is about 60% of the full speed on wifi, which would be about 60 mbs for the 100, so seems right.

what are other people getting on wifi?

I won't be able to run wired connections in my old house without a reno.  Maybe a powerline network adapter and a switch behind my entertainment center for the ps4/Xbox 1/Apple tv/fire? 

Just checked my uverse speedtest, still at 18mbps.  Might keep my uverse for just the TV, NBAHD is not available on Cox except for the more expensive packages.

qwerty said:
ps9 said:

i have a nighthawk. not sure what modem i have - ill have to check, it is wifi, i dont think you will get the 100 on wifi. perhaps on a wired connection.  i read somewhere when researching the gigabit speed that a cox tech recommended the nighthawk router for gigabit but that on wifi you would get about 600 mbs, not the full gig. mentioned that for full gig speed you would need a wired connection. so if that statement is true that is about 60% of the full speed on wifi, which would be about 60 mbs for the 100, so seems right.

what are other people getting on wifi?

sounds right.  every hop takes away 40-50%.  Right in line. 

Hasn't doubled for me yet either, 65 mbps on gigabit ethernet. Waiting to to order Cox Gig as soon as it's available.

irvinehomeowner said:
I checked my bill again and I'm at $160 with Premiere, Contour, HBO, and phone.

Is that the new customer rate?  I believe that's the silver package, being advertised for $119/month for 12 months with a $100 cash card.  how's Contour?

My current uverse TV DVR can record up to 4 shows at once I believe.  Cox's regular HD-DVR can only record 2 shows at once, and if I go with the Contour Record 6, it gets pretty expensive. 

Weren't you guys at around 50 Mbps at the last speedwave?  So the speed only went up by 10 Mbps???

ps9 said:
Weren't you guys at around 50 Mbps at the last speedwave?  So the speed only went up by 10 Mbps???

I don't think so, if I remember correctly I was getting about 35mbs. 

I'll test hardwire speed sometime later... I think 802.11g only goes up to 54Mbps.

My router is 802.11n (300Mbps) and 802.11ac (1G) but I think my laptop is only g (although it should support n).

@ps9:

I'm not sure if my package is new customer or upgrade pricing. I had the old Cox DVR before (only 2 shows at once) so technically I'm "new" to the Contour service (6 shows). It was bad at first but since the software update (about 3 or 4 months ago), I haven't had the same issues.

I should also mention I have 3 boxes (1 main, 2 secondary) and most of the plans you see online are only for 1 or 2 boxes. Not sure how that price stacks up to UVerse but I know if I do DISH or DirectTV with Cox Internet with the same number of boxes and features, it will cost more than $160.

Just canceled my entire U-Verse service with AT&T.  Didn't really do much to try to retain my money even though I let them try.  Internet was not matchable since they can't go higher on speed.  Phone was a waste of money and when I mentioned Ooma the agent didn't say much.  TV was the only service I was interested in staying with U-Verse, didn't even throw me a bone.  Was told I can get U-Family (thats a 2 step downgrade from my current U300) for $60/month.  I countered with let me keep U300 for that price.  The agent stated she can only do $92/month for U300.  Huh?  $92/month is the regular price for U300.  Waste of my time.

Gonna shop for TV (between Cox or DirectTV) and go pick up this Ooma thing from Costco.

sounds like the concourse dvr/service is fixed per IHO. directv has better hardware in my opinion. and you can get the wireless TVs with direct tv, not sure if that is available with cox.

qwerty said:
sounds like the concourse dvr/service is fixed per IHO. directv has better hardware in my opinion. and you can get the wireless TVs with direct tv, not sure if that is available with cox.
Not sure how you get that hardware is better other than the wireless box (which I think Cox is working on).

Both can record 6 shows... and RedZone is available on Cox. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
Not sure how you get that hardware is better other than the wireless box (which I think Cox is working on).

Both can record 6 shows... and RedZone is available on Cox. :)

how can i say this without getting a TWQS :), four years ago i had a cox DVR and when i switched to DTV the box was much faster and had more capacity.  DTV also seems to come out with newer services/hardware faster than Cox. i know redzone is also available on Cox but when you are degenerate like me and put money on games i want to record specific games. i never watch the redzone channel.

Back