3-Car Garage Homes

Looks like Williwaw hit "Hot Home" status from Redfin:
Hot Home: Redfin predicts that this home will sell within 7 days ? go tour it soon.
I wonder if they have a "Cold Home" status?

"Redfin predicts this home will languish on the market for 217 days -- go tour it next year when the seller comes to their senses and drops the price by 20%."

Best 3CWG in Woodbridge:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Bayporte-92614/home/4697306

We saw it over the weekend just to looky-loo. The house itself is okay, typical 80s home but the huge vaulted ceilings both downstairs and upstairs is something you don't see in new builds.

The kitchen is upgraded, but the bathrooms are not (except the downstairs vanity).

The $2.4m for the home itself is high, but what you are paying for is very unique to Woodbridge, not only is it a 9100sft lot that has a view of the lake, but it is actually elevated above all the other homes.

Many won't like some of the dated features and would prefer to spend $2m+ on a new home in OH... but considering the last time a lake view Woodbridge home was sold it was also $2m+, this is probably priced right.

irvinehomeowner said:
Best 3CWG in Woodbridge:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Bayporte-92614/home/4697306

We saw it over the weekend just to looky-loo. The house itself is okay, typical 80s home but the huge vaulted ceilings both downstairs and upstairs is something you don't see in new builds.

The kitchen is upgraded, but the bathrooms are not (except the downstairs vanity).

The $2.4m for the home itself is high, but what you are paying for is very unique to Woodbridge, not only is it a 9100sft lot that has a view of the lake, but it is actually elevated above all the other homes.

Many won't like some of the dated features and would prefer to spend $2m+ on a new home in OH... but considering the last time a lake view Woodbridge home was sold it was also $2m+, this is probably priced right.

$666 / sq ft?  That's the Devils home, son.

I'm going to necro this thread for meccos12.

He wanted to know what kind of houses I was looking at and this thread is pretty indicative of what I was looking for.

If you go to the very first post, you will see this thread started in January 2010 and you can see that many of the homes I posted were not 30% discounted but were either at or close to the same $1m price range I was trying to avoid. As I said in my first post, I was hoping to get a 3WCG for less than $800k which was only a 20% discount, and while a few were cheaper (and in bad shape), many were above that price range.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm going to necro this thread for meccos12.

He wanted to know what kind of houses I was looking at and this thread is pretty indicative of what I was looking for.

If you go to the very first post, you will see this thread started in January 2010 and you can see that many of the homes I posted were not 30% discounted but were either at or close to the same $1m price range I was trying to avoid. As I said in my first post, I was hoping to get a 3WCG for less than $800k which was only a 20% discount, and while a few were cheaper (and in bad shape), many were above that price range.

Nice try.  You cant simply go back and compare peak prices to Jan of 2010 prices as you are still 2 years out from bottom.  This conversation started out about how much prices fell from peak to bust in Irvine.  You contend "the houses you saw" only fell 10-15%, which in it self is shady because no one really cares about the homes ONLY YOU saw.  Furthermore if you are claiming 10-15% drops in Jan of 2010, before homes really bottomed, then you really should state so.  Your claim should have been this  " The few, very specific homes that I specifically looked at had a 10-15% drop from peak prices when I saw them in Jan of 2010".  Unfortunately the specific homes that only you saw and the prices of these homes in 2010 have no real benefit to anyone reading this thread.  Let me ask you this.  If I would agree that perhaps the few specific homes that you saw dropped 10-15% in Jan of 2010, would you refute the fact that Irvine in general dropped 30% from peak to bust?

2010 is close enough to 2012 for this thread to count, and I applaud IHO for going the extra mile to dig up old posts.

meccos12 said:
Nice try.  You cant simply go back and compare peak prices to Jan of 2010 prices as you are still 2 years out from bottom.  This conversation started out about how much prices fell from peak to bust in Irvine.  You contend "the houses you saw" only fell 10-15%, which in it self is shady because no one really cares about the homes ONLY YOU saw.

Not sure why you want keep taking such an argumentative tone.

You asked me for an example of what houses I was looking at. I even explained to you that it was from a certain time frame (as I did in many other posts).

I keep telling you the parameters of my search and you keep doubting my story... so I found this thread for you.
Furthermore if you are claiming 10-15% drops in Jan of 2010, before homes really bottomed, then you really should state so.  Your claim should have been this  " The few, very specific homes that I specifically looked at had a 10-15% drop from peak prices when I saw them in Jan of 2010".  Unfortunately the specific homes that only you saw and the prices of these homes in 2010 have no real benefit to anyone reading this thread.  Let me ask you this.  If I would agree that perhaps the few specific homes that you saw dropped 10-15% in Jan of 2010, would you refute the fact that Irvine in general dropped 30% from peak to bust?
See this is where you don't read well.

If you look at this thread, it went from 2010 to 2017, if the bottom was 2011-2012, it included that time frame. I said this thread started in 2010 so you can see the progression from then until the bottom and past it. Go read the posts in this thread from 2011-2012, and you will see the same story about houses not discounted more than 20%, you were so eager to trash my opinion and you just made the assumption that I didn't cover houses during the bottom in this thread.

Nice try.

irvinehomeowner said:
If you look at this thread, it went from 2010 to 2017, if the bottom was 2011-2012, it included that time frame. I said this thread started in 2010 so you can see the progression from then until the bottom and past it. Go read the posts in this thread from 2011-2012, and you will see the same story about houses not discounted more than 20%, you were so eager to trash my opinion and you just made the assumption that I didn't cover houses during the bottom in this thread.

It seems we can never get a straight clear answer from you, without some strange caveat. 
How much did homes in Irvine drop from peak to bottom?  My answer, LiarLoans answer, other peoples answer? around 30%.
Your answer:  The homes you specifically looked at dropped 10-15% (well actually now you are saying up to 20% now) in Jan of 2010. 

meccos12 said:
It seems we can never get a straight clear answer from you, without some strange caveat. 
How much did homes in Irvine drop from peak to bottom?  My answer, LiarLoans answer, other peoples answer? around 30%.
Your answer:  The homes you specifically looked at dropped 10-15% (well actually now you are saying up to 20% now) in Jan of 2010. 

Again... read.

The thread started in 2010... the homes I looked at are all throughout the thread which also covers the 2011-12. Yes, as I told you on the other thread there were some that were 20% but I didn't look at all of those. Most of the ones we specifically looked at, which meant we visited the home, were in the 10-15% off range.

You're just trying to fish for some holes and it's just making you look worse. For the person who claims he hates strawman, that's all you've been doing, trying to set up my comments to prove me wrong when you can't.

I notice you never found the post where I said ALL of Irvine homes dropped only 10% (or 15%). Instead you shift it to try to find some fault somewhere else in either how I say something or when I say it, and you are failing miserably.

Nice Try #2.

Actual drop - 28%
Felt like it was - 20%
Ok? Just move on, guys.

One life lesson: No one will EVER change their mind unless God humbles him/her. You guys are not God and you can't change each other.

irvinehomeowner said:
I notice you never found the post where I said ALL of Irvine homes dropped only 10% (or 15%). Instead you shift it to try to find some fault somewhere else in either how I say something or when I say it, and you are failing miserably.
No, you are right.  I agree you never said ALL of Irvine dropped 10%, you said only the homes you specifically saw dropped 10-15% in Jan of 2010.  I stand corrected.  Is that fair?

Mety said:
Actual drop - 28%
Felt like it was - 20%
Ok? Just move on, guys.

One life lesson: No one will EVER change their mind unless God humbles him/her. You guys are not God and you can't change each other.

I think you nailed it.  Concise and clear.

Mety said:
Actual drop - 28%
Felt like it was - 20%
Ok? Just move on, guys.

Does 28% feel significantly different from 20%?

meccos12 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
No, you are right.  I agree you never said ALL of Irvine dropped 10%, you said only the homes you specifically saw dropped 10-15% in Jan of 2010.  I stand corrected.  Is that fair?

Why do you keep adding that Jan 2010 stamp? That?s just when this thread started. You can look at my posts in 2011-2012 in this same thread and still see homes that are only 10-15% that I posted.

Not sure why you?re not getting that.

irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Why do you keep adding that Jan 2010 stamp? That?s just when this thread started. You can look at my posts in 2011-2012 in this same thread and still see homes that are only 10-15% that I posted.

Not sure why you?re not getting that.

Ill just leave these here... just a few I found in YOUR thread with sold prices near peak (not even at peak) and then again sold near lows (again not even at the bottom). 
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/54-Desert-Willow-92606/home/7215161
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/26-Desert-Willow-92606/home/7219438
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/30-Gray-Dove-92618/home/7203699

meccos12 said:
Ill just leave these here... just a few I found in YOUR thread with sold prices near peak (not even at peak) and then again sold near lows (again not even at the bottom). 

Congratulations, you finally read the first post in this thread. But as is your style, you don't actually quote the entire post to leave out context, because at the beginning, I said this:

irvinehomeowner said:
I wouldn't want to pay more than $800k for a 3-car garage house.

Remember what I said in the other thread? I'll quote it here in case you didn't read that either (emphasis mine):

irvinehomeowner said:
You?re reading both the data and my posts wrong.

Those 700 homes were on Redfin and either they didn?t fit my criteria, were too expensive, etc.

And I said it one more time when I referenced this thread:

irvinehomeowner said:
As I said in my first post, I was hoping to get a 3WCG for less than $800k which was only a 20% discount, and while a few were cheaper (and in bad shape), many were above that price range.

Those 3 homes you listed were all above $800k, I think 2 were above $900K. We didn't even look at these homes in person, thus... not ones we were actually serious about. And I don't know if you are familiar with that area but the 2 in Columbus Grove were right next to a huge power line. And if I remember correctly, 54 Desert Willow was a pre-foreclosure or short sale, you can see by the listing history it took 10 months to sell.

As I've said, there were homes that dropped more than 20%... but you might as well find the posts where I listed homes with huge drops in Shady Canyon, I looked at them on Redfin, but there was no way I was going to have Scott show me those homes as they were well out of my price range (although I considered dropping in during Broker Previews).

The only reason I pointed you to this thread was to demonstrate what type of housing I was looking at because you asked. Instead, you're trying to use it as proof that I am being "deceitful"... which if I was, why would I even show you this thread?

And again, while TI doesn't necessarily represent all Irvine buyers (nor do I), since I've been part of IHB/TI, I don't recall a significant number of members who've said that they were able to buy at a 30% discount. That's a more "deceitful" number because I don't think the majority of buyers in 2011-12 realized that type of discount which again is why I prefer to use a rolling average for a true representation of what buyers could purchase homes for during that time. That's why I always mention timing when we talk about waiting for prices to drop.

For someone so data driven, do you actually think that was the discount most people who bought at that time got? Because median sales price does not necessarily mean median discount.

irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:

Congratulations, you finally read the first post in this thread. But as is your style, you don't actually quote the entire post to leave out context, because at the beginning, I said this:

irvinehomeowner said:
I wouldn't want to pay more than $800k for a 3-car garage house.

Remember what I said in the other thread? I'll quote it here in case you didn't read that either (emphasis mine):

irvinehomeowner said:
You?re reading both the data and my posts wrong.

Those 700 homes were on Redfin and either they didn?t fit my criteria, were too expensive, etc.

And I said it one more time when I referenced this thread:

irvinehomeowner said:
As I said in my first post, I was hoping to get a 3WCG for less than $800k which was only a 20% discount, and while a few were cheaper (and in bad shape), many were above that price range.

Those 3 homes you listed were all above $800k, I think 2 were above $900K. We didn't even look at these homes in person, thus... not ones we were actually serious about. And I don't know if you are familiar with that area but the 2 in Columbus Grove were right next to a huge power line. And if I remember correctly, 54 Desert Willow was a pre-foreclosure or short sale, you can see by the listing history it took 10 months to sell.

As I've said, there were homes that dropped more than 20%... but you might as well find the posts where I listed homes with huge drops in Shady Canyon, I looked at them on Redfin, but there was no way I was going to have Scott show me those homes as they were well out of my price range (although I considered dropping in during Broker Previews).

The only reason I pointed you to this thread was to demonstrate what type of housing I was looking at because you asked. Instead, you're trying to use it as proof that I am being "deceitful"... which if I was, why would I even show you this thread?

And again, while TI doesn't necessarily represent all Irvine buyers (nor do I), since I've been part of IHB/TI, I don't recall a significant number of members who've said that they were able to buy at a 30% discount. That's a more "deceitful" number because I don't think the majority of buyers in 2011-12 realized that type of discount which again is why I prefer to use a rolling average for a true representation of what buyers could purchase homes for during that time. That's why I always mention timing when we talk about waiting for prices to drop.

For someone so data driven, do you actually think that was the discount most people who bought at that time got? Because median sales price does not necessarily mean median discount.

So it is then fair to say, the 10-15% price drop was ONLY for the homes YOU specifically looked at, WITHIN a certain time frame, WITHIN a certain price range?  I dont recall you making all these caveats initially. 

Isnt it just easier to say that homes in Irvine fell around 30% in general?  LOL

meccos12 said:
So it is then fair to say, the 10-15% price drop was ONLY for the homes YOU specifically looked at, WITHIN a certain time frame, WITHIN a certain price range?  I dont recall you making all these caveats initially. 
"Homes I specifically looked at" covers all of that. Go back and look at my posts, I've mentioned the type of stock, when, and how much on numerous occasions... you either have a short memory or are using your "I don't read long posts" rule.

And there is no certain time frame, because I was looking from 2008 on so nice try #3 on trying to disprove my opinion based on time frame.
Isnt it just easier to say that homes in Irvine fell around 30% in general?  LOL
No because that is "generalizing" and for many buyers, I don't think was 30% was the discount they got. Both IC and myself have explained that to you repeatedly. I find it funny you keep saying 30%, does 28% (by LiarLoan's extreme measure) not appeal to you?

And I keep answering your questions, why don't you answer mine?

irvinehomeowner said:

Please prove that a 28% drop from extreme high to extreme low median price means that a majority of the buyers in 2012 (which is when the extreme low happened) realized a 28% discount.

Then you will understand why a rolling average exists and more indicative of what type of discounts buyers could actually get.

irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:
"Homes I specifically looked at" covers all of that. Go back and look at my posts, I've mentioned the type of stock, when, and how much on numerous occasions... you either have a short memory or are using your "I don't read long posts" rule.
Or you do not understand or can not identify ridicule. 

The worst part about all this is, regardless of what specific criteria you set to make price falls within 10-15% range, it STILL DIDNT.  In fact you even admitted on another post about seeing some homes drop 20%.  Furthermore I also listed several homes which clearly show much greater price drops, some even greater than 30%.  And yes, these were homes YOU specifically looked at because YOU linked them on your thread.  Although I am sure you are going to claim those homes do not count because you wanted a 3 CWG under 800K, so the price drops on those homes dont fall into your specific conditions you have set, right?

irvinehomeowner said:
meccos12 said:
No because that is "generalizing" and for many buyers, I don't think was 30% was the discount they got. Both IC and myself have explained that to you repeatedly. I find it funny you keep saying 30%, does 28% (by LiarLoan's extreme measure) not appeal to you?

Surely discussing the general price change in Irvine is more helpful and useful than the discussion of prices in 3CWG homes in Irvine, less than 800K in which only YOU looked at. 

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Please prove that a 28% drop from extreme high to extreme low median price means that a majority of the buyers in 2012 (which is when the extreme low happened) realized a 28% discount.

Then you will understand why a rolling average exists and more indicative of what type of discounts buyers could actually get.

Did you just quote yourself in attempts to make me prove a claim I never made?  LOL  My claim is simple.  Peak to bottom price drops were around 30% (or 28%).  Some people got more than 30%, some people got less.  If the median price drop was 30%, then you can assume about half got more and half got less than 30% drop.  This is assuming the "n" is high, since the median and the mean become the same with high "n".

Back