3-Car Garage Homes

meccos12 said:
Or you do not understand or can not identify ridicule. 
Back at you.

The worst part about all this is, regardless of what specific criteria you set to make price falls within 10-15% range, it STILL DIDNT.  In fact you even admitted on another post about seeing some homes drop 20%.  Furthermore I also listed several homes which clearly show much greater price drops, some even greater than 30%.  And yes, these were homes YOU specifically looked at because YOU linked them on your thread.  Although I am sure you are going to claim those homes do not count because you wanted a 3 CWG under 800K, so the price drops on those homes dont fall into your specific conditions you have set, right?

Wow. You finally get it. When I say homes that fit my criteria only dropped 10-15% that's exactly what I mean.

Surely discussing the general price change in Irvine is more helpful and useful than the discussion of prices in 3CWG homes in Irvine, less than 800K in which only YOU looked at. 
Agreed.

But that's not why I referred you to this thread. You asked me about the homes I Redin'd and actually personally looked at and here they are. You ask me for something, I give it to you and you still criticize... amazing.

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
For someone so data driven, do you actually think that was the discount most people who bought at that time got? Because median sales price does not necessarily mean median discount.

Please prove that a 28% drop from extreme high to extreme low median price means that a majority of the buyers in 2012 (which is when the extreme low happened) realized a 28% discount.

Then you will understand why a rolling average exists and more indicative of what type of discounts buyers could actually get.

Did you just quote yourself in attempts to make me prove a claim I never made?  LOL

I quoted myself because you didn't answer my question.

This is why you think everyone is using a strawman against you. There is nothing it my statement that says you made any claims.

There is a question: "Do you actually think...?"

And a challenge: "Please prove..."

My claim is simple.  Peak to bottom price drops were around 30% (or 28%).  Some people got more than 30%, some people got less.  If the median price drop was 30%, then you can assume about half got more and half got less than 30% drop.  This is assuming the "n" is high, since the median and the mean become the same with high "n".

This is flawed.

As I said before, just because the median price at the lowest low is 28% lower than the highest high, does not represent the actual discount they got. You don't know what homes were bought at that time, nor do you know if the homes bought at that low were the same ones that sold at the high... thus how can you equate that to a discount?

It's the same concept as to why my 10-15% off does not apply to Irvine as a whole because of specificity, you are looking at a single point in time (June 2012). This is why you need a rolling average to give you a better idea of what type of discounts people actually got.

Again... median sales price does not equal median discount. I'm not sure why you don't get that.

So let's stop...  you keep devaluing my experience and my opinion, which is fine, that's your right.

But don't try to paint what I'm saying as deceitful or false. This was what happened, it's documented in this thread and although you will try to pick it apart to justify some mission you have it's not going to change history or my opinion.

I believe you said this before, you can't trust opinions your read on an anonymous forum (although some of us know each other so there is some trust), so just avoid mine.

irvinehomeowner said:
When I say homes that fit my criteria only dropped 10-15% that's exactly what I mean.

LOL.  Yes, we get it.  The 10-15% drop was only seen in homes that are 3CWG, under 800K and most importantly, ONLY seen by you.  I have a feeling you are one of few who will see how useless it is to make such claims (and rather pointless in a discussion about general price changes).  I hope no one replies to tell me that 1 bed condos with only one shared walls and painted only in neutral colors, priced between 265-275K, which was ONLY seen by them dropped by 45-50%. 

irvinehomeowner said:
As I said before, just because the median price at the lowest low is 28% lower than the highest high, does not represent the actual discount they got. You don't know what homes were bought at that time, nor do you know if the homes bought at that low were the same ones that sold at the high... thus how can you equate that to a discount?

The fallacy of your argument lies in the fact that you are taking this 28% price drop which is a number formulated from aggregate data and trying to implement that on a single individual home.  The fact that you are arguing that you wont know when a particular house was bought to know how much that house was discounted demonstrates this clearly.  A median price drop of 28% means that prices dropped about 28% in general, with half dropping more and half dropping less.  Furthermore, I would like to reiterate that I reposted 3 homes that you linked that were bought near peak and sold near lows, all which had price drops nearly or over 30%.  But you said they dont count because they were over 800k right? 

irvinehomeowner said:
It's the same concept as to why my 10-15% off does not apply to Irvine as a whole because of specificity, you are looking at a single point in time (June 2012). This is why you need a rolling average to give you a better idea of what type of discounts people actually got.
In finding the bottom(or peak), you have to use a single point by definition. 
Moving averages does exactly that, averages things out.  It lessens the peak and increases the troughs.  This literally defeats the purpose of finding the highest % fall, which is the topic of this discussion.  Oh BTW, id love to see what type of moving average you used and how you calculated this moving average.  LOL

I explained how I did that in the Housing Analysis thread which I also quoted here.

Irvinecommuter also showed you how to do that in the Housing bottom thread.

And again, drop does not equal discount which you contended in your previous post.

LOL

eyephone said:
Mety said:
iacrenter said:
6 Belmonte -- 3CWG traditional detached SFH asking $998K. I'm pretty sure this one will get bid up over a million. Get it while you can. Final offers are due today at 5pm.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/6-Belmonte-92620/home/4795902

This home was bought at $22k then sold next month at $265k in 1997. What a history.

Hot home on Redfin. BUT. Did you see the front of the house? Not my style.

Yeah, the home is not my style either.

B2FiNiTY said:
If I got a 3 car garage home, it wouldn't be one with three individual doors.

Same. Heck... if there could be a 3-car wide garage door... that might be cool.

But according to IHS, the 3-door configuration is actually better construction.

A single 3 car garage door would be so heavy that it likely would need two openers working in tandem to roll the thing up. Timing would be pretty tough to synch. Interesting to look at, but a real engineering problem to overcome.

As a 3CG homeowner, I would not want a single door. It's nice to hid stuff from prying eyes by keeping at least 1 door closed. Soylent Red and I have matching reproduction Schwinn Phantom bikes that make tempting theft targets if seen from the street. They're $300 or less around the interwebs, but "free" if taken from the garage. Hard pass on a single opening door IMHO.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
A single 3 car garage door would be so heavy that it likely would need two openers working in tandem to roll the thing up. Timing would be pretty tough to synch. Interesting to look at, but a real engineering problem to overcome.

Well, engineering-wise it can be done, price-wise is the issue. Doors made of aluminum are lightweight and the roll-up design can probably still use a single motor, you would sacrifice insulation but who cares about the temp in the garage unless you are using for something other than your cars/junk.

Aesthetically it would probably not be ideal, but then you can keep a plane in your garage. :)

Ideal would be a 4-car wide garage with 2 double doors (like this house in Irvine):

streetview

irvinehomeowner said:
Soylent Green Is People said:

Well, engineering-wise it can be done, price-wise is the issue. Doors made of aluminum are lightweight and the roll-up design can probably still use a single motor, you would sacrifice insulation but who cares about the temp in the garage unless you are using for something other than your cars/junk.

Aesthetically it would probably not be ideal, but then you can keep a plane in your garage. :)

Ideal would be a 4-car wide garage with 2 double doors (like this house in Irvine):

streetview

Is that a 4CWG home or an attached SFR?

B2FiNiTY said:
Wow. I?m drooling.  That soccer field to the left kinda sucks though.

That's actually Springbrook Elementary's open field. You can spin it as a gigantic side yard.

I'm not sure if the owner added on to the left side of the house to make that a 2-car instead of a 1-car garage. I've been watching it for years hoping it would go on the market so I could at least tour it.

momopi said:
There's an old townhome construction in Fullerton that had 4 car garages (2x2 tandem).

The location is not in the ideal location above Malvern street in Fullerton.

There were new townhomes in yorba linda with 2x2 tandem in 2013 when we were looking. Nice floorplans too but the neighborhood overall felt too tight.

irvinehomeowner said:
B2FiNiTY said:
Wow. I?m drooling.  That soccer field to the left kinda sucks though.

That's actually Springbrook Elementary's open field. You can spin it as a gigantic side yard.

I'm not sure if the owner added on to the left side of the house to make that a 2-car instead of a 1-car garage. I've been watching it for years hoping it would go on the market so I could at least tour it.

So the owner extended the garage? How did you know?

For me, I would rather have more living space than somewhere for cars or junks. I would have turned one of the garage spaces into game room or something.

Back