You are a Chinese immigrant, inherited a million dollars, just moved to Irvine

Well I wouldn't blame them. After going to Uni High and being expected to go to Harvard or Yale, then getting accepted into UCI (like most Uni students), I'm pretty sure their parents cut off all financial support. It's a sad day we live in, but you can always market sex.

Damn, we've got some sick Dudes on talkirvine. This is not some Asian sex shop thread but more of an investment thread. Irvine home shopper, some times I wonder if you are some sick uci freshman here.

Soy and indie, you guys mentioned that banks would have no incentive in lending at these rates. Soy, you mentioned that under the 4s for a 30 year has to be the bottom. What do you guys think of holding tbf and Tbt for a 10 year hold? Shorting the long term treasury bond? I've been shorting the euro since April and I will be holding until the fat lady in greece sings the irvine song. I  Am so tempted right now to short long term treasury bonds. Just like real estate, nothing can fall forever. I feel like taking a major short position in treasury bonds today is like buying gold and silver in 2001, an opportunity that comes every 30 years. I would advise Lin fen xu to short treasury bonds for the next ten years. Put down the entire million. What do you guys think?

Sorry Panda!  :p

panda.jpg

The older man Indie saw was the Bishop you mentioned and deleted.

You think I am making this up. Would you like me to post hard evidence? Did you know the Mexican landscape crews discovered many used condoms at the base of the bushes by the back of the offices?

Law enforcement never check back there because they don't want to be trapped in the parking lot just like SolentPeople.

This is what I would do... Buy a 5 bedroom house and then rent out 4 of the other bedrooms for $800 each. Then you will have $3200 per month to pay for hoas mello roos and ramen noodles.  Problem solved.  :)

More profile info on Mr. Lin:

He is the median age of Irvine: 35 years old and immigrated to the U.S. with his wife and two daugthers ages 7 and age 4.
He is a devout buddhist, therefore Mr. Lin has strong moral values. He will not engage in any illegal methods of making a living like prostitution or drug trafficking as it will be a disgrace to his wife and two daughters. He desires to make an honest living in Irvine and provide the best environment for his family.

Since Mr. Lin has no credit history, he had no choice but to pay the sales person at Portola Place $24,000 upfront for a 1 year lease for a 2bed / 2 bath IAC apartment. He will share one room with his wife and his two daughter will get the other room.

You are Mr. Lin... your savings are now down to $970,000. Would you start your own business. If so, be specific as to what type of business you would start. Would you invest in real estate? Would take your chances in the stock market. Let's get some good creative answers here.

Qwerty, I like your answer regarding investing in SDS (2X short the S&P 500) as the S&P will come crashing down anytime now like it did in 2008. QID (2x short NASDAQ) and DXD (2x short DOW) are also good choices for an investor today if you are a gifted trader, but keep in mind that Mr. Lin is looking for a more stable return with the $970,000 he has left.
You are Mr. Lin, what would do?

Panda said:
Since Mr. Lin has no credit history, he had no choice but to pay the sales person at Portola Place $24,000 upfront for a 1 year lease for a 2bed / 2 bath IAC apartment. He will share one room with his wife and his two daughter will get the other room.

I regret to inform Mr. Lin that IAC will not accept a cash advance for a year's worth of rent upfront. I tried in 2009. (Not for credit reasons. Tried to use it as a bargaining tool during lease renewal negotiations.) The reason they gave was something about it being more difficult to perform an eviction if they needed to do that. Where will Mr. Lin live?

Mr. Lin should open up a place like A&J's at DJ Plaza, or near the Alton Square Plaza. Then he should under report his income by 95% since his establishment only accepts cash. He will be buying Irvine housing up like a fire sale at Walmart in no time.

Panda said:
Qwerty, I like your answer regarding investing in SDS (2X short the S&P 500) as the S&P will come crashing down anytime now like it did in 2008.

Oh really?  What will the catalyst be?

I suggest FCB or Edline as his strategist.

IndieDev said:
Mr. Lin should open up a place like A&J's at DJ Plaza, or near the Alton Square Plaza. Then he should under report his income by 95% since his establishment only accepts cash. He will be buying Irvine housing up like a fire sale at Walmart in no time.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I suggest FCB or Edline as his strategist.

IndieDev said:

Yes, his pricing strategist and investment strategist.

Seriously, with $1,000,000 this question needs another qualifier. What is this Chinese guy's risk tolerance? Is he looking for biggest bang, higher risk, and shortest hold?  Or is he more conservative? This is the most important question when determining what route he should go.

Indie - his risk tolerance is limited by his family situation. He may be willing to take extreme risks but he is a family man so his choices are more limited than a 25 year old with no attachments. One thing for him to consider is sending his wife back to work as well. With both kids about ready for school-age, mom could look for some sort of part-time work to subsidize life.

Mr. Lin could potentially get a job if he has some sort of marketable skill in technology/finance and do the whole H1B to Green Card path, but that would make him a slave to a staffing company for 5-7 years. With $1million he could apply for the "investor" green card if he starts his own business and hires some American citizens. In that case I would start a Subway/whatever franchise place in one of the malls. He could get his green card in 2 years.

He should start a consulting business working for TIC to help promote Chinese investment into Irvine real estates.  I think TIC still has a lot to do to lure Chinese investors. The goal is to turn Irvine into Vancouver, where medium home costs more than 13x medium income.

LAtoOC said:
Indie - his risk tolerance is limited by his family situation. He may be willing to take extreme risks but he is a family man so his choices are more limited than a 25 year old with no attachments. One thing for him to consider is sending his wife back to work as well. With both kids about ready for school-age, mom could look for some sort of part-time work to subsidize life.

Mr. Lin could potentially get a job if he has some sort of marketable skill in technology/finance and do the whole H1B to Green Card path, but that would make him a slave to a staffing company for 5-7 years. With $1million he could apply for the "investor" green card if he starts his own business and hires some American citizens. In that case I would start a Subway/whatever franchise place in one of the malls. He could get his green card in 2 years.

Vancouver is coastal and Now Irvine is Coastal Canyon. I think TIC is already ahead of your suggestion. The only difference is TIC is after 18x income for good luck rather than 13x.

It is
The Motor Court Company said:
He should start a consulting business working for TIC to help promote Chinese investment into Irvine real estates.  I think TIC still has a lot to do to lure Chinese investors. The goal is to turn Irvine into Vancouver, where medium home costs more than 13x medium income.

LAtoOC said:

Here is the million dollar question? Is there any place where a return of 10% can be guaranteed on his money. I am sure many of us here on TI put our the vast majority of our cash in a money market fund, but reality you are losing money to inflation.

If i were Mr. Lin and uncertain about making an income, I would be looking at any opportunity where i can make the $1,000,000 work yielding me anywhere from 5-10% return instead of sitting in the bank. In today's environment where rates are at 0%, where can you invest with the least risk and high yield.... C'mon guys, let's think out of the box here.

Panda said:
Here is the million dollar question? Is there any place where a return of 10% can be guaranteed on his money. I am sure many of us here on TI put our the vast majority of our cash in a money market fund, but reality you are losing money to inflation.

If i were Mr. Lin and uncertain about making an income, I would be looking at any opportunity where i can make the $1,000,000 work yielding me anywhere from 5-10% return instead of sitting in the bank. In today's environment where rates are at 0%, where can you invest with the least risk and high yield.... C'mon guys, let's think out of the box here.

You've got a few minutes left. Slam the whole thing on the NY Rangers for tonights game.

Panda said:

Mr. Lin can always sell some naked options and easily make a 10% return a year.

Back