Why you shouldn't buy a home in Irvine

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:
bones said:
rube77 said:
To be fair I don't eat Asian food so Irvine may very well have great Asian restaurants. For everything else its a wasteland.

Totally agree.  Irvine is a culinary wasteland.  Look at all the hype Bruxie's got on TI - it's a freaking waffle place that isn't even that good!  And it was imported from Orange.  Womp womp.

cmon bones lets not be snooty, your sounding like irvine commuter. i actually think bruxies is pretty good food. ill have me a waffle burger and irish nachos anytime.

Hey...I am defending the food choices in OC!

I know. I was making reference to the purse discussion :)

Unfortunately, innovative restaurants are not Irvine's strong suit. The city is full of descent Asian food places and assorted mediocre chain restaurants.

Even though may Irvinites fear traveling to Santa Ana, their better restaurants are worth the risk of a short drive and put Irvine restaurants to shame.  ;)

broda said:
Mexican...Taco Rosa is decent...I prefer ghetto hole in the wall mexican.  Javiers has great seafood enchiladas.  Bruxie's Proscuitto and brie waffle is pretty damn tasty.  Umami burger is coming to the spectrum.  I like their burgers. 

Shhh... Taco Rosa is my secret spot for good Mexican food at a decent price.  It's never crowded like Javiers and is of similar quality/style.  Get the skirt steak fajitas there with their special home made corn tortillas. 

OK so somehow this morphed from Irvine not having good food to the food being not innovative.  If you guys were expecting Anthony Bordain to come to Irvine, don't hold your breath.

My point was there is good food to eat in Irvine.  That is all.  I never said the next Le Bernadin was going to come to Irvine.  And yes I too know NYC food.  Even the Michelin rated ones.  I've been there done that...I too can be pretentious about food.

The reason for chain restaurants all over town is based on their corporate studies to limit them at a good distance from their competition. Once the location is pinpointed they will rent from whom ever including high price landlords. The clusterings of Asian eateries are at all non TIC retail center due to cheaper rent and exempted from scrutiny of financial record.

Tyler Durden said:
As "good" is a subjective term, its obvious that many folks here are not going to agree on what constitutes "good" versus average or mediocre. For a perfect example of this, read all the opinions on the "best Chinese restaurant" thread.  You have a huge range of what people consider to be good.

I think there's a difference between trying to go for the most esoteric dining experience possible (e.g. the foodie) and the folks wanting to try authentic or innovative things (e.g., adventurous). 

I get your point.  Most folks value convenience.  That's why you see restaurants clustered together in certain spots and see large chain restaurants all over town.  Folks who are uninitiated can easily know what to expect at each chain restaurant because they are always the same experience and usually have the same menu at each location. 

For some of us, it is not worth our time to go to generic chain restaurants because we don't have a lot of time to spare.  Personally, i would rather cook at home and skip that round of dining out for when i have time to go somewhere that is a more memorable experience.  If it was a cost issue, i wouldn't be dining out in the first place, since i couldn't afford to do what i really wanted to do.  Since I'm forced to dine out when on the road, i won't willing choose to do so when I'm at home, unless its somewhere unique and memorable.

Where would you guys rec al pastor?  Always wanted to try taqueria two guys in santana but that's based off OC magazines review..  Will travel to any hole in the wall for decent al pastor (within 10 miles)

qwerty said:
I went to the taco rosa brunch buffet, some of the worst food I've ever had

I went to brunch at the one in Newport and it was the worst service anywhere.

I like the food at http://www.tacomesa.com/ (I think they're the same owners), but I've never had the al pastor tacos.  I usually get whatever the special is that day.

Tyler Durden said:
For some of us, it is not worth our time to go to generic chain restaurants because we don't have a lot of time to spare.  Personally, i would rather cook at home and skip that round of dining out for when i have time to go somewhere that is a more memorable experience.  If it was a cost issue, i wouldn't be dining out in the first place, since i couldn't afford to do what i really wanted to do.  Since I'm forced to dine out when on the road, i won't willing choose to do so when I'm at home, unless its somewhere unique and memorable.

I generally eat out when I'm out around a meal time. I never eat out for breakfast, but if I'm out at lunch time or out at dinner time I eat out. I'm not a pack a meal type of person. I also eat out for lunch quite a few times a week.

Since I eat out frequently I have a limited budget and often the chain restaurants have better menus for budget choices. It's hard work to create a comprehensive menu (think Panera or Corner Bakery) and expensive if it's for a one of a kind restaurant.

irvinehomeowner said:
What about reason #6?

6) Overpriced

:)

This is IHO being sarcastic here, but in all honesty, overpriced is all relatives to the current environment.

I would love to pay the overpriced of 2013 now. I can see in 2025, I will say the same about the overpriced of 2020 😀. It?s all relatives my friend, it?s all relatives.

1. Are you using "relatives" on purpose?  It's "relative"....a minor annoyance, but I keep thinking about my cousins when you write that.
2. The people who overpaid in 2006 are probably whole again now it is 2019.  However, they probably felt real bad in 2011.

Dang... this was such a touchy thread... went from racism to restaurants to al pastor.

What I said in 2013, applies even more today. Irvine is too expensive... bring on that slowdown!!!

What if I'm a millionaire in China and I want to "use" Irvine realestate to store my wealth in case the RMB depreciates or the CCP tries to jail me for tax evasion?

Back