Where is the good pizza in Irvine ?

[quote author="GOTTI" date=1225345861]There is no such thing as a good pizza or bagel in CA. BBQ chicken pizza? Haha...</blockquote>

You could be correct, but that doesn't mean it's impossible... James Beard award winner, makes arguably, the best pizza in the country--in ARIZONA! And this is coming from a New Yorker... ;)

<strong>In the just-published Pizza: A Slice of Heaven (Universe Publishing, 2005, $24.95 paperback), Levine declares Chris Bianco's pizza the best in the country.</strong>

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/RestaurantDetails.php?OccurrenceID=89028

[quote author="Roscoe" date=1225191829]For a Chicago transplant, the pizza situation here in SoCal is pretty dire. I have tried several of the local pizza places and got a perfectly edible but utterly mediocre pizza (Z Pizza, BJs, etc.). I didn't care for Lamppost at all.

Anyone know of a place to get a decent approximation of real, honest-to-goodness Chicago stuffed pizza here in Orange County?</blockquote>

Spent 18 mos in Chicago, got an idea of what the pizza is like.

As far as I can tell, SoCal does not have a <a href="http://www.giordanos.com/stuffed.php">Giordanos</a>. Sorry to say.

<a href="http://www.joeyspizzapastacafe.com/">http://www.joeyspizzapastacafe.com/</a>

new place in town at the plaza where melting pot and daily grill are located.

the sandwiches are piled mean and high. i got a corned beef and pastrami sandwich last week and had to remove half the meat to save for another meal. i counted 24 slices of meat in the remaining half. sweetness...

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1225433129][quote author="GOTTI" date=1225345861]There is no such thing as a good pizza or bagel in CA. BBQ chicken pizza? Haha...</blockquote>

You could be correct, but that doesn't mean it's impossible... James Beard award winner, makes arguably, the best pizza in the country--in ARIZONA! And this is coming from a New Yorker... ;)

<strong>In the just-published Pizza: A Slice of Heaven (Universe Publishing, 2005, $24.95 paperback), Levine declares Chris Bianco's pizza the best in the country.</strong>

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/RestaurantDetails.php?OccurrenceID=89028</blockquote>

Call me cynical but Im wondering how much he paid for the product placement?

[quote author="NancyBotwin" date=1225492283][quote author="BMP 309" date=1225433129][quote author="GOTTI" date=1225345861]There is no such thing as a good pizza or bagel in CA. BBQ chicken pizza? Haha...</blockquote>

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/RestaurantDetails.php?OccurrenceID=89028</blockquote>

Call me cynical but Im wondering how much he paid for the product placement?</blockquote>

Fair point regarding the author. However, regarding the pizza, I have seen Chris Bianco on many Food Network pizza specials, and on the travel network as well. He is really well known allover the country in the culinary field--the James Beard award speaks for itself.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1225199879]I'm a pizza snob, if I have to pay for a pizza, it has to be NY Crust (at Oak Creek center, Jeffrey & Alton). Try barbeque chicken, my personal favorite, and their spinach crust is also pretty good.</blockquote>

Rec sounds good. Will check them out. BTW your two points about being a pizza snob and liking bbq chicken pizza or spinach crust are entiretly inconsistent.

[quote author="JLegend" date=1225500217][quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1225199879]I'm a pizza snob, if I have to pay for a pizza, it has to be NY Crust (at Oak Creek center, Jeffrey & Alton). Try barbeque chicken, my personal favorite, and their spinach crust is also pretty good.</blockquote>

Rec sounds good. Will check them out. BTW your two points about being a pizza snob and liking bbq chicken pizza or spinach crust are entiretly inconsistent.</blockquote>

haha, I was thinking the same.

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1225433129][quote author="GOTTI" date=1225345861]There is no such thing as a good pizza or bagel in CA. BBQ chicken pizza? Haha...</blockquote>

I don't step foot into red states. =)

There's this myth that NYC pizza reigns supreme, I think this is false. The best pizza's that I've always enjoyed have been in NJ... Fort Lee and Palisades Park.

If any of you are familiar with this part of the east coast, visit the Big Red Tomato for southern Italian cuisine and Donna's Pizza for the best pie you will ever have in your life. You will cry tears of joy to know what a pizza should taste like.

Only in Ca would bbq chicken pizza ever exist. The first and last time I ever stepped foot in CPK, I knew that I was doomed. "BBQ chicken pizza? Honey, wtf is that?" said Gotti to his girlfriend at the time.

Another food that breaks my heart is Chinese take out... Yep, I'm officially depressed.

[quote author="GOTTI" date=1225513681][quote author="BMP 309" date=1225433129][quote author="GOTTI" date=1225345861]There is no such thing as a good pizza or bagel in CA. BBQ chicken pizza? Haha...</blockquote>

There's this myth that NYC pizza reigns supreme, I think this is false. The best pizza's that I've always enjoyed have been in NJ... Fort Lee and Palisades Park.

If any of you are familiar with this part of the east coast, visit the Big Red Tomato for southern Italian cuisine and Donna's Pizza for the best pie you will ever have in your life. You will cry tears of joy to know what a pizza should taste like.

Only in Ca would bbq chicken pizza ever exist. The first and last time I ever stepped foot in CPK, I knew that I was doomed. "BBQ chicken pizza? Honey, wtf is that?" said Gotti to his girlfriend at the time.

Another food that breaks my heart is Chinese take out... Yep, I'm officially depressed.</blockquote>
What about Chicago for Pizza? Are they better than NYC pizza?

[quote author="WestparkRenter" date=1225516815][quote author="GOTTI" date=1225513681][quote author="BMP 309" date=1225433129][quote author="GOTTI" date=1225345861]There is no such thing as a good pizza or bagel in CA. BBQ chicken pizza? Haha...</blockquote>

Another food that breaks my heart is Chinese take out... Yep, I'm officially depressed.</blockquote>
What about Chicago for Pizza? Are they better than NYC pizza?</blockquote>

Ah...the eternal question...That depends on where you're from--New York or Chicago? ;) If neither, you just have to decide if you like deep dish (Chicago) or thin slices ( New York.) If you prefer the NY style, you need to fold it in half to eat like a true New Yorker. ;)

I have no opinion of Chicago style pizza. Chicago pizza reminds me of a quiche. Too thick for my tastes.

I remember that all of the pizza joints back east offer Sicilian slices to mix it up a bit but I never enjoyed those. All bread, I could buy foccia instead, it's cheaper.

But to answer your question if it's better, the LAFD did a taste test, NYC vs Chicago pies, NYC was prefered by 9 out of 10 firefighters.

there is only one home of real pizza. i've eaten at most of the 'best nyc pizza places during my time there, and they don't compare. And please don't start on that chicago gooey thing masquerading as pizza. Its more like one of those soup in a bread bowl things.

real pizza comes from New Haven. No doubt.

the only question is: Pepe's or Sally's?

I prefer Pepe's

I thought a pizza snob is somebody who only eats one kind (brand?) of pizza :)

Unfortunately, I never had a chance to travel much, so the only NYC pizza I ever tried was in NY crust in Irvine...

NY crust is good enough for me I must say, b/c I like the thin crust and more toppings. When I went to Italy I didn't like the Italian pizza at all (and I was hoping that would be the best pizza I tried), it had a very thick crust, was too greasy, and with some unidentifiable food on top. And the price was like 5 euro per slice pretty much every place I went, completely not worth it. So I actually became more appreciative of the food choices we have here in So Cal, including pizza.

Way back in the day, there was a pizza place called Chicago Chicago where Gina's is now (near the Albertsons by UCI). I loved their thin crust Pizza, almost had the same texture as cardboard, but as a kid I thought it was the best tasting Pizza around.

Back