Where is the good pizza in Irvine ?

Gina's and First Class are both solid choices.

Red Brick in the Quail Hill center is inedible and should be avoided at all costs.

[quote author="QH Renter" date=1214548951]Gina's and First Class are both solid choices.

Red Brick in the Quail Hill center is inedible and should be avoided at all costs.</blockquote>

Ditto on Red Brick in the District. How can you screw up pizza?

There is a peppinos in Woodbury Town Center now... I would suggest not trying the Gnocchi

That place in Garden Grove looks good! Im going to have to try that. I love hole in the wall places like that.

I dont know if it is that I am starving everytime I eat DiGiornio or that DiGiornio is pretty good to me, oh wells.

Im pretty easy to please with it comes to food though

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1191535469]Are there no fans of pizza hut or dominos? </blockquote>

There is no issue with Pizza Hut at all, consistent and many choices. They have about every type of crust there is and you can even order online if you don't want to leave your laptop.

Northwood Pizza. It is an Irvine institution.

And the Z pizza chain? Bleeeaccchhhhhh...... z pizza in UCI is much, much better.

I've also been told that Al's in Costa Mesa has some awesome pizza.

[quote author="k.o." date=1221714803]

I've also been told that Al's in Costa Mesa has some awesome pizza.</blockquote>

I just heard about Al's and tried it last week. Not the best, but pretty good and definitely NYC style. I feel kind-of dumb, since it looks like it's been there forever and I used to live at the Oakwood apartments across the street! In my defense, right after moving there, I found The Pizza Bakery / Westcliff Pizza, which is great, if not thin-crust.

Also, I was really excited when Johnnie's NY opened at Orchard Hills, a few blocks from my house. They even had pizza by the slice during the day. Unfortunately, I really haven't liked anything I've had there, and I've given the place three or four chances. I'll probably try it one more time soon. They've been open long enough now that they should be at 100%.

A bit OT, I really like the new Zov's at Orchard Hills, but it's a bit too pricey to go there very often.

David

I like Papa John's. Go online and check out the different varieties of pizzas they offer. My favorite alternative to a regular pepperoni is their Spinach Alfredo. The Chicken Bacon Ranch is delish too. Sign up for their newsletter, and weekly coupons will be emailed to you, usually better deals than the ones advertised.

www.papajohns.com

For a Chicago transplant, the pizza situation here in SoCal is pretty dire. I have tried several of the local pizza places and got a perfectly edible but utterly mediocre pizza (Z Pizza, BJs, etc.). I didn't care for Lamppost at all.

Anyone know of a place to get a decent approximation of real, honest-to-goodness Chicago stuffed pizza here in Orange County?

I'm a pizza snob, if I have to pay for a pizza, it has to be NY Crust (at Oak Creek center, Jeffrey & Alton). Try barbeque chicken, my personal favorite, and their spinach crust is also pretty good.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1225199879]I'm a pizza snob, if I have to pay for a pizza, it has to be NY Crust (at Oak Creek center, Jeffrey & Alton). Try barbeque chicken, my personal favorite, and their spinach crust is also pretty good.</blockquote>

Yup, NY UpperCrust is the best pizza i've had in a long time. On to p of that, their Calzones and "pinwheels" are fantastic too. And the cannoli's arn't bad either!

Definitely a great little pizza place.

[quote author="blackacre-seeker" date=1225199879]I'm a pizza snob, if I have to pay for a pizza, it has to be NY Crust (at Oak Creek center, Jeffrey & Alton). Try barbeque chicken, my personal favorite, and their spinach crust is also pretty good.</blockquote>

This NY Upper Crust is pretty good, I've been there twice recently. Order a whole pizza and they make it while you wait, or they will heat a single slice in the oven if that's all you want. I may do this tonight, sounds good.

Spinach crust, eh? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like something new?

Thats good to know. I didn't know NY upper crust still existed. I remember they had that at the Spectrum back in the late 90's early 00's and it was YUMMY. Ate there pretty much everytime I went to the Spectrum in Jr. High and High School.

Other than that, I am a big fan of Northwood Pizza. Love their White Pizza and BBQ Chicken.

I think the right name for it is Spinach Upper Crust, it is like a pie with spinach, garlic, and cheese.

Oh, I almost forgot: NY crust also gives you (not always, but sometimes) a discount coupon on your receipt, last time I got 15% of my next order of $25 or more.

In addition to barbeque chicken, I always get the veggie pizza and the egglplant pizza. I used to go to their other location in Laguna Niguel (Crown Valley and Greenfield), and pizza there was also good.

For a few years I kept track of my pizza travels..........

paulspizzaworld.com

Northwood pizza was a favorite of mine when I lived in Irvine.

Back