What if you won the MegaMillions Lottery?

IACRenter_IHB

So after reading <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5958/">Chocobosandwich's post</a> in another thread, it got me thinking what would I do if I won the <a href="http://www.megamillions.com/">$250M MegaMillions </a>jackpot. I know it is crazy and highly unlikely any of us would win...but if you did, what would our fellow IHBers do with their winnings?

For me I would like to do several things (after paying taxes, establishing a comfortable retirement nest egg, and college funds are in order):

1) Travel around the world with my family

2) Establish some type of non-profit organization/foundation for charitable giving--not sure what the focus would be yet

3) Purchase my 1st home, close to the beach would be nice

4) Maybe even get that fishing boat I've been dreaming about

Post your responses below...

In this order:

- Call my attorney, accountant, and tell absolutely no one else I won it so I could collect anonomously and without fanfair.

- Drink a beer, and focus on going back to work Monday morning.

When is the drawing... tonight?

There would be a few people from IHB that I would donate to anonymously. I would live a modest life, save, invest, and look for ways it could be used to bring the greatest joy to the most deserving people.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251012180]Ditto what n_v said. But is there a way to hind it from one's spouse, or I need to move to a different state? ;)</blockquote>

I already told my wife of my plan to get some lotto tickets--she said if we win, just give her half and I can run away with my new model girlfriend ;-)

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1251017072]When is the drawing... tonight?

There would be a few people from IHB that I would donate to anonymously. I would live a modest life, save, invest, and look for ways it could be used to bring the greatest joy to the most deserving people.</blockquote>

Per the <a href="http://www.megamillions.com/mcenter/pressrelease.asp?newsID=301EE3B6-B433-4CF9-BE44-682EE0E491B0">Mega Millions website</a>:

<em>Mega Millions Fever Is Hot As The Jackpot Hits $252 Million

RELEASE DATE: 8/22/2009

The hottest ticket in town is Mega Millions. There was no jackpot winner in Friday?s Mega Millions drawing, so Americans woke up to a jackpot that soared to an estimated $252 million for the Tuesday, August 25, 2009, drawing.

A total of 1,964,485 tickets from coast to coast won prizes in the Friday, August 21, Mega Millions drawing. The winning numbers were: 9-38-44-48-49 and the Mega Ball number was 13.

Of all those winning tickets, 24 were just shy of hitting the estimated $207 million jackpot. They did so by matching the first five numbers and only missing the Mega Ball number. Those tickets were sold in California (4), Georgia (3), Michigan (2), New Jersey (6), New York (3), Ohio (2), Texas (2) and Virginia (2).

This jackpot has been growing since July 7, when Mega Millions had its most recent jackpot winner. The jackpot has now rolled 13 times without a winner. The odds of winning the jackpot are approximately one in 176 million. The odds of winning any of the Mega Millions prizes are approximately 1 in 40.

Mega Millions holds the record for the largest jackpot in U.S. history. On March 6, 2007, the Mega Millions jackpot grew to $390 million. There were two winning tickets in that drawing: in Dalton, Georgia and Woodbine, New Jersey.

Mega Millions is played in 12 states: California, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

<strong><span style="color: blue;">Mega Millions drawings are held Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 PM Eastern Time, 10:00 PM Central Time and 8:00 PM Pacific Time. </span></strong> For more information on Mega Millions please go to: www.megamillions.com.</em>

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1251023313]I would give every IHB member $10 for every post they ever did...</blockquote>

Are you really... really... sure you want to do that? Not sayin I don't appreciate the gesture... but awgee and I would be the two highest paid nutters here. I have to say, if you really did do that... then I would give back a good portion of it to your church's next mission trip. While I may not have the same beliefs as you, I do believe a lot of good comes out of those mission trips.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1251011682]In this order:

- Call my attorney <em>(that fat, ugly, and smelly bastard would actually become "my attorney" and I would have no problem paying his [strike]rapes[/strike] rates.)</em>, accountant, and tell absolutely no one else I won it so I could collect anonymously and without fanfair.

- Drink a beer, <em>er 12 or so</em>, and focus on going back to work Monday morning <em>and how I can make my money work even harder to benefit me and so many others. Then try to figure out a day and time that my new found smelly attorney and I can get down to the Aston Martin dealership together.</em></blockquote>

Added some needed detail to no_vas's post.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1251026643][quote author="roundcorners" date=1251023313]I would give every IHB member $10 for every post they ever did...</blockquote>

Are you really... really... sure you want to do that? Not sayin I don't appreciate the gesture... but awgee and I would be the two highest paid nutters here. I have to say, if you really did do that... then I would give back a good portion of it to your church's next mission trip. While I may not have the same beliefs as you, I do believe a lot of good comes out of those mission trips.</blockquote>

Don't worry. I think RC already have some prior agreement with zovall to reset the post counter when necessary.

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1251020075][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251012180]Ditto what n_v said. But is there a way to hind it from one's spouse, or I need to move to a different state? ;)</blockquote>

I already told my wife of my plan to get some lotto tickets--she said if we win, just give her half and I can run away with my new model girlfriend ;-)</blockquote>

Sounds like she is pretty cool. But knowing women, I think she already have a plan of her own in mind... which will certainly make a lot of their current spouse a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

If I won I think it would be more of a burden than a blessing to suddenly have that kind of money. I've heard that winning big lotteries or getting a sudden big inheritance only amplifies the kind of person you are - if you are an unhappy and negative person then you will only become exponentially more so. I also wouldn't want the responsibility of sharing the winnings with everyone who would always be wanting more. That being said, I wouldn't mind winning the the next lowest prize if it's a couple of hundred thousand dollars.

Did you guys hear about how the new Irvine House raffle winner was a pervious winner. Talk about luck. The couple won the grand prize in 2005 and now again in 2009.

<a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/15/who-will-win-250000-raffle/">Article here</a>

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1251081832]Did you guys hear about how the new Irvine House raffle winner was a pervious winner. Talk about luck. The couple won the grand prize in 2005 and now again in 2009.

<a href="http://irvinehomes.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/15/who-will-win-250000-raffle/">Article here</a></blockquote>
RIGGED!!! I want an investigation on whether you are somehow related to a TIC high level employee. haha

Lotto winner names are public record in most states. The theory is that everyone who bought the lotto tickets has a right to know where the money went.

I buy lotto tickets once in a while. If I won the big jackpot, I'd pack up and go travel abroad for couple of years. The money would be invested in real estate across the globe. I'd be attending cooking classes around the world.

I would change my phone number.

So that none of you could call trying to "borrow" money or call to run your "investment plans" by me.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251012180]Ditto what n_v said. But is there a way to hind it from one's spouse, or I need to move to a different state? ;)</blockquote>

I really wouldn't advise that. <a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/1999/11/17/MN65215.DTL&type=printable">It will come back to bite you.</a>

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1251092918][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251012180]Ditto what n_v said. But is there a way to hind it from one's spouse, or I need to move to a different state? ;)</blockquote>

I really wouldn't advise that. <a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/1999/11/17/MN65215.DTL&type=printable">It will come back to bite you.</a></blockquote>
The way it works in our house is:

What's mine is hers,

and whats hers is ...

hers also.

[quote author="awgee" date=1251100984][quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1251092918][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1251012180]Ditto what n_v said. But is there a way to hind it from one's spouse, or I need to move to a different state? ;)</blockquote>

I really wouldn't advise that. <a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/1999/11/17/MN65215.DTL&type=printable">It will come back to bite you.</a></blockquote>
The way it works in our house is:

What's mine is hers,

and whats hers is ...

hers also.</blockquote>

Hey wow that's how it works in my house too!

Back