What happened to the IHB and some suggestions...

Heck, I'll go even farther... how much does the forum software that zovall was using cost? Can we get him to export the data base so we can save the old forum content and customizations that Cayci worked so hard to make possible? Have you registered the domain and how much does hosting cost?

Seriously, we might lose the "IrvineHousingBlog" forums, but that doesn't mean all those years of posts have to disappear.

Unfortunately, it is his data, and he is going to keep it. He will keep the forums up as a read only format, so we can cite a post that way. At least that is what he hopes can happen. Plus... the SEO on that site is top notch, don't want to lose that or give it away.

[quote author="graphrix"]Unfortunately, it is his data, and he is going to keep it. He will keep the forums up as a read only format, so we can cite a post that way. At least that is what he hopes can happen. Plus... the SEO on that site is top notch, don't want to lose that or give it away. [/quote]

SEO?

I know it's his data. But the forum software and customizations aren't. They can be purchased and hosted on a registered domain just as he did. And if he doesn't want a second copy on another domain, pushing all those links back to IHB, he's only hurting himself.

I'm not trying to hurt them or their chances, I'm just trying to save what they've deemed unworthy of keeping.

Re: payment. Thanks for the thoughts, all. The only suggestion I have at the moment is: If you guys would like for your eyeballs to not be violated by the ads, you can go to the link at the bottom of this page where it says "Click Here To Make This Board Ad-Free". The site operates on a credit system, with it being one dollar per credit, i.e. 7 credits, to remove the ads for one month or 50,000 page views - whichever comes first. If you would like to keep the board clean for the benefit of the community here then that is an option that everyone could enjoy.

[quote author="nude"]SEO?

I know it's his data. But the forum software and customizations aren't. They can be purchased and hosted on a registered domain just as he did. And if he doesn't want a second copy on another domain, pushing all those links back to IHB, he's only hurting himself.

I'm not trying to hurt them or their chances, I'm just trying to save what they've deemed unworthy of keeping.[/quote]

SEO = Search Engine Optimization

The software is http://expressionengine.com/overview/pricing/ and it is more of a blog software, whereas the forum software is an add on to it. Not sure of they sell it separately.

As for what is best for IHB, is not up to me. So if you want to make the suggestion that would make it work best for both, I'm down to support it.

It really would have been much more simple if they just would have created "commercial" memberships and moved forward from there. Too late now, I guess.

[quote author="evalseraphim"]I looked at the posting guidelines. I saw this:

We prohibit content promoting the use of illegal drugs . . .

and realized that 75% of No_Vas' comments / pics would violate the TOS. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[/quote]

Yeah, but look on the bright side! Didn't say nothin' about cows, so I'm all good here. <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->

So, $150 for the license. Domain registration can be cheap, but web hosting costs will depend on the traffic.... which zovall might be able to ballpark.

So let me get this straight, we cannot talk about RE until Saturday?

Isn't that what we spend all of our time, both on line and off, talking about, or at least 50% of the time?

anyway, thanks for setting this up.

the IHB is currently offline, 7:22...

does it take that much work to mod a forum? So, if we want to talk about Irvine RE, there'll still be a place for that on the IHB? Probably on the daily blog page huh?

[quote author="roundcorners"]the IHB is currently offline, 7:22...

does it take that much work to mod a forum? So, if we want to talk about Irvine RE, there'll still be a place for that on the IHB? Probably on the daily blog page huh?[/quote]

I nominate you to be a forum moderator. Once you realize how much of a time suck just cleaning up the spam is, then Nude and No_Vas will require your assistance on the politics thread because someone is being a sh*thead.

I for one am glad I don't have to mod anymore. If I did, I'd charge my hourly consulting rate, and I'd make some serious coin, but the website would be broke within the first 15 minutes.

I guess the most time consuming aspect of a mod is actually monitoring the posts... I guess the actual maintenance of the forums, such as backing up, creating threads & the mechanics are pretty much automated...

I'm still a little speechless, like any change, it's a little bitter-sweet, dang-it, I move to Irvine, I don't like change! Like a new car, I'm afraid to push new buttons & crank up the radio... Thanks Socal!!! If it weren't for you, we all probably suffer a mild form of depression...

Perhaps we can slightly darken the background. The white is a bit stark. Otherwise, thanks for the effort of making a new forum, you guys.

[quote author="graphrix"]
[quote author="roundcorners"]the IHB is currently offline, 7:22...

does it take that much work to mod a forum? So, if we want to talk about Irvine RE, there'll still be a place for that on the IHB? Probably on the daily blog page huh?[/quote]

I nominate you to be a forum moderator. Once you realize how much of a time suck just cleaning up the spam is, then Nude and No_Vas will require your assistance on the politics thread because someone is being a sh*thead.

I for one am glad I don't have to mod anymore. If I did, I'd charge my hourly consulting rate, and I'd make some serious coin, but the website would be broke within the first 15 minutes. [/quote]

Whiner. It's not that hard to do if you are there all the time anyway. It's nigh impossible to do alone or when you have a real life away from the web.

Back