VRBO / AIRBNB - starting to show up in Irvine

nyc to oc said:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-683650-airbnb-listings.html

Short term rentals 30 days or less are banned by the city of Irvine, unless its in a hotel-motel zone. It will be interesting to see if these houses bought by investors specifically for the purpose of renting out on AirBnB will now be put up for sale. Anyway, you now have some real ammunition (not just the HOA CC&Rs)  if you want to stop this from this going on in your neighborhood.

That's good to see. Also noticed that all the listings in Portola has been removed from Airbnb and VRBO since I reported the house down the street to the HOA.  >:D

incognito said:
That's good to see. Also noticed that all the listings in Portola has been removed from Airbnb and VRBO since I reported the house down the street to the HOA.  >:D

Ha ha, they should also start a reward program for people who report the violators.  Whoever report it get a cut of the fine.  ;)

Irvine:

Status: The city bans the rental of a space or unit for 30 days or fewer, unless it?s in a hotel-motel zone. Those who violate the policy could face a $100 fine for the first day, $200 for the second day, $500 for the third day and every day thereafter.

There's different factors regarding this issue:

1. It's all about tax revenue for the city. Unless there is agreement from the sharing service and the city, the city doesn't get no monies/mula.

2. You know the classic argument, the sharing service takes away revenue from hotels, and they might have to lay off staff.

My take: the rooms at hotels should be competitively priced from the beginning, this is another example like ride sharing

lnc said:
incognito said:

Ha ha, they should also start a reward program for people who report the violators.  Whoever report it get a cut of the fine.  ;)

Irvine:

Status: The city bans the rental of a space or unit for 30 days or fewer, unless it?s in a hotel-motel zone. Those who violate the policy could face a $100 fine for the first day, $200 for the second day, $500 for the third day and every day thereafter.

Often that price competitiveness disappears as soon as the sharing provider pays the same regulatory and tax fess as the none sharing provider.

I can provide us incredibly cheap power and water if I can ignore the regulations in doing so and that frankly is what much of the sharing economy really is.

I used the forerunners of Airbus to rent vacation places in Hawaii and elsewhere in the mid-90s. Since each was local, each complied with local fees etc.  Amazon started the same way with predatory pricing and not collecting taxes.  After growing and crippling many competitors, they've done away with their ultra low prices and collect taxes.

nyc to oc said:

Short term rentals 30 days or less are banned by the city of Irvine, unless its in a hotel-motel zone. It will be interesting to see if these houses bought by investors specifically for the purpose of renting out on AirBnB will now be put up for sale. Anyway, you now have some real ammunition (not just the HOA CC&Rs)  if you want to stop this from this going on in your neighborhood.
Kind of amazing Irvine has the most Airbnb listings in OC, even more than Anaheim, Newport, Huntington, and Laguna, where you'd expect most listings.  Since this is unlawful, the City of Irvine should demand that Airbnb et al to stop listing Irvine properties.

lnc said:
incognito said:

I already placed an order for my "HOA Police" badge on Amazon. Motto: "To creep and snitch."

Gonna report another house that epoxy their entire front porch...wtf lol

incognito said:
lnc said:
incognito said:

I already placed an order for my "HOA Police" badge on Amazon. Motto: "To creep and snitch."

Gonna report another house that epoxy their entire front porch...wtf lol

Epoxy on the front porch!?  You gotta post a pic of this.

I don't know if it's illegal, but IMO, it doesn't look great.  Was it a DIY job?  The flakes don't seem very evenly distributed.  If they like that epoxy "look", theres other ways to achieve it with concrete.

irvinehomeowner said:
Is there some anti-epoxy HOA rule?

Didn't know that was against the CC&Rs.

Usually any exterior paint or modification needs to be approved by the HOA to insure it's keeping with the asthetics of the community if visible from common areas.  I'm assuming the sidewalk step and porch meet that criteria.

From a look standpoint, I don't find it neither horrible nor great and I doubt it looks notably worse than any other solution. It's biggest distraction is likely that when you realize what it is, it has a sense of 'went cheap.' 

All about saving the some bucks. Although this could have stain or lay some tiles if he would want to go cheap. Again, this is really for him or her "The Owner". I really have no saying.....

Compressed-Village said:
All about saving the some bucks. Although this could have stain or lay some tiles if he would want to go cheap. Again, this is really for him or her "The Owner". I really have no saying.....

Actual, it is not for him or her the owner to decide, they bought and agreed to an HOA. It is exterior and therefore the domain of the HOA to decide what is acceptable.  I'm frankly amused how often people on talkirvine living in Irvine really don't understand the basics of living in their planned and governed CC&R communities.

All that said, the HOA may have approved this.  I'd be surprised though especially given epoxy's slipperyness when wet even with non slip additives.

Still see Irvine listings on Airbnb, three are just down the street from me.  So how do I report them?  Guess I'll just email the city hall division that should be responsible?  And I still can't find the city code that bans short term rentals less than 30 days as cited by ocregister.

Back