VRBO / AIRBNB - starting to show up in Irvine

HOA might have more luck. Used to be one in Arborcrest but it was discovered after the homeowners who lived behind the home noticed that it was vacant for months and suddenly had two nights in a row of loud partying so they checked airbnb and poof, no more listings for that home. The same person had a home in PP that was still listed last time I looked so it had to be the HOA who shut them down in Arborcrest.

qwerty said:
ps9 said:
First one in BP:
https://airbnb.com/rooms/9952143

Saw some in OH as well.  I guess Irvine is not really enforcing the code, and I still can't find it listed anywhere officially

Cmon guys, you have Asian hookers and homicides all over Irvine. No need to sweat short term renters/vacationers

Hmmm enlighten me more please, i am brand new to IR and just started living here....and whats the whole deal with AirBnB, aren't people allowed to do whatever the hell they want to do inside their homes? Sell it - rent it - screwww it - tear it down ? Just trying to understand the dynamics here or is everything dominated by HOA (understandably the outside portion of the condos are, the communities are, the parks/pools/courts are), or does the city of IR bring its own legal swords against home-owners who now allegedly in their eyes or the rich FCB eyes are potentially bringing in cheap filthy scums as renters/air0bnb and ruining the city? I sense there are multiple dynamics at play here

Short term rentals mean people who don't care about noise at whatever hour, potential trash left behind from partying, increased parking (there were 8 cars for the ONE airbnb rental in arborcrest), etc.

Plus the government doesn't get hotel taxes on airbnb.

In short you are subject to HOA and Irvine rules when u live in Irvine and yes they control what you can do in your home if it means noise, traffic issues.

Ready2Downsize said:
Plus the government doesn't get hotel taxes on airbnb.

According to an article below, there was a conference with mayors and Airbnb. "Airbnb is willing to collect taxes with a deal with the cities. So currently Airbnb has a deal with 26 cities and collected around $42 million. If it had a deal with the 50 major cities, the projection is $200 million a Year in taxes."

Source:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/technology/airbnb-takes-its-case-to-us-mayors-conference.html

AA said:
Cleaning Fee of $230 and $5000 security deposit???? is this typical?

The cleaning fee is about right.  The $5000 is definitely ridiculous.  Typically it's around $500 or so...highest one I've seen is $2000 personally, so this $5000 is really high

The $500/night for weekends is also insane.  $290/night is for weekdays only.  Seems she's cancelled on 5-7 people recently 1-5 days before they can check in which should get flagged by airbnb soon

If this purchase was financed "owner occupied" I'm guessing the lender of record would very much like to know about this listing. If the City or the HOA won't stop the owner from short term leasing and there's a loan on the property, there's always that path.

My .02c

SGIP

I have never used airBnB. How does it work with deposits?  Do you pay up front when you book or when you check-in?  I am thinking $5,000 x 8 floating is a good business model. It could temporarily cover the mortgage before the bank finds out I am broke.

City of Irvine enforces short term rentals. City of Irvine says NO short term rentals within the city, also the city supersedes any hoa they have way more muscle and clout to cite/red tag the property. I personally don't want 10-15 different people every weekend with  loud music trash and parking issues in my neighborhood. There's a lot of people who are against short term/airbnb/vrbo including myself. I would think of other alternatives. Like traditional renting.

Back