VRBO / AIRBNB - starting to show up in Irvine

I read all the thread (yup knowing it goes back to 2015) and you guys are simply insane.  The assumption that _everyone_ is partying, leaving trash, bringing 10 vehicles, hosting whore-houses, is just flat out ludicrous.  Especially those who enjoy ratting others out for nearly zero reason.  The reality is that you always get a few bad apples no matter what.  I'd only report those who are taking in poor clientele repeatedly - as someone that has done airbnb and been quiet/respectful of the area, I find this thread very very sad.

Burn That Belly said:
How would the HOA even know that there is a temporary paying short-term resident?

What kind of "police" would the HOA send? What eviction/inspection rights do HOA have? The HOA has no authority to trespass or ask for identification, only a peace officer can, a search warrant or a court order from a judge. Hence, the HOA has little to no power other than paper warnings. Even then, the homeowner can argue that it was not a paying customer, it was a long lost friend from out of a town, an ex, a family relative, etc. HOA has no right to request/establish identification, again, still requiring a court order. The HOA would then need to file for a subpoena to release rental records from airbnb for that home. I mean, how much money/time/fight do they want to invest in?  This is really no different than just a domestic issue, for when noise becomes a problem, the acting peace officer with executive authority can make and enter the premise to detain, question, file a report, and/or arrest. Imagine an HOA becoming an investigative agent (peeping tom) and taking pictures through a window. Oh the legal madness the HOA could get into, then there goes the HOA reserves that the community so nicely saved up for to pay for repairs/maintenance that gets spent on paying for lawsuit settlement. Didn't Erin Andrews CNN sportscaster get millions for peeping tom incident?

There is nothing in the CC&Rs of any Irvine community that I can think of that specifically prevents homeowners from freely allowing their friends, family, relative, or dog to stay in their home short or long term regardless of race, color, or religion. The owner just needs to argue that there is no short-term lease/contract in place and if they want to find it, they need to file a subpoena.

yeah I think the HOA isn't that bored to police this.

Our old neighborhood had one. It was found out because they had renters one weekend that were really loud late at night and the home was directly behind a board member who went to airbnb site and saw that house on the site. Since no other house has that same landscaping, etc in that neighborhood (which showed up on the map) they were easily outed. Even if they weren't, it would be easy for someone to rent it and tattle on them.

I know our current HOA specifically forbids short term rentals in the CC&Rs.

noMoneyBackin2011 said:
I read all the thread (yup knowing it goes back to 2015) and you guys are simply insane.  The assumption that _everyone_ is partying, leaving trash, bringing 10 vehicles, hosting whore-houses, is just flat out ludicrous.  Especially those who enjoy ratting others out for nearly zero reason.  The reality is that you always get a few bad apples no matter what.  I'd only report those who are taking in poor clientele repeatedly - as someone that has done airbnb and been quiet/respectful of the area, I find this thread very very sad.

Why sad? If you don't follow Irvine City rules, why should you feel bad for people who get busted? If you don't like the rules, petition the city to makes changes or find another city more receptive to your business.

noMoneyBackin2011 said:
Even though all may not be party rentals, there's just enough chance that it could be.  Wouldn't want one on my street.
#nimby
#hater4life

Burn That Belly said:
Airbnb'ing you're own home is a preference thing. When you want to do it, you want to do it. When your neighbors do it, you get annoyed. Human nature is terribly flawed. Goes against everything the bible says. 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself' Mark 12:31 and 'Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.' Romans 15:2.  Do none of you go to church?

What does church have to do with letting people break the law and profit from it?

Burn That Belly said:
iacrenter said:
What does church have to do with letting people break the law and profit from it?

I was only referring to the people who are ratting them out without getting the full story:

It seems that the city does have a code against transient occupancy defined as 30 days or less. However, if I seem to recall, kaite's airBNB post specifically is asking 60 days minimum. Thus, she is not breaking any "transient occupancy" code and is within her legal right to execute a 60-day lease. Airbnb in this case is nothing more than a referring agent.

Did Katie change her listing to temporarily comply with Irvine laws? I see two reviews just in May 2017 and multiple cancelations in June. I just don't see that large a market for a minimum 60 day stay and $17k in rent.

AW said:
Even though all may not be party rentals, there's just enough chance that it could be.  Wouldn't want one on my street.
#nimby
#hater4life

iacrenter said:
Why sad? If you don't follow Irvine City rules, why should you feel bad for people who get busted? If you don't like the rules, petition the city to makes changes or find another city more receptive to your business.

So would you guys chase after people you suspect are renting out a room long term (i.e. rent a room on 1 year lease on downstairs bedroom) ? 

IIRC, the terms of all properties is nothing less than the ENTIRE unit can be rented.

When a renter subleases a room to another, it is harder to control and prove than when you can see your neighbors house on Air BNB.  Ease of prosecution.  We pick the low hanging fruit first.

zubs said:
When a renter subleases a room to another, it is harder to control and prove than when you can see your neighbors house on Air BNB.  Ease of prosecution.  We pick the low hanging fruit first.

My question isn't that its harder to notice - my question is that if you noticed it, would you pursue them as well?

Yea, I would not doubt it.  For girl operations to move about, Air BNB is the way to go.  They can set up shop and then in a few days, go to the next.  I have read on erotic monkey that some girls are housed in these types of Air BNB situations

Back