Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

Insider info the cemetery will not move forward because the lack of funding. City of Irvine has no leverage on developer to contribute this massive amount of money for a cemetery that no developer or builder would contribute when it hurts home sale.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Insider info the cemetery will not move forward because the lack of funding. City of Irvine has no leverage on developer to contribute this massive amount of money for a cemetery that no developer or builder would contribute when it hurts home sale.

When would something like that be public?

irvinehomeshopper said:
The city is hoping for certain specific philanthropist would donate $100m for this project.

Bren?  Well I suppose if he really wanted to stick it to 5 points.  But I think it would pull down the value of Portola Springs too, so forget it.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
The city is hoping for certain specific philanthropist would donate $100m for this project.

Bren?  Well I suppose if he really wanted to stick it to 5 points.  But I think it would pull down the value of Portola Springs too, so forget it.

He did serve as an officer in the US Marines after college. So who knows.

I hope the "." is ok.

His old handle might gives away his real name and people might use it to harrase him. 

eyephone said:
lnc said:
I hope the "." is ok.

His old handle might gives away his real name and people might use it to harrase him.

@Jmoney - Do you still talk to "."?

Didn't know he changed his name. Im not on TI as much as before.

The cemetery is going to happen...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cemetery-691499-veterans-cook.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=community+news&utm_content=local+Irvine+news

paydawg said:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cemetery-691499-veterans-cook.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=community+news&utm_content=local+Irvine+news

"The cemetery would be constructed in 10 phases over 100 years".

Good God, construction will last 100 years?  At least it'll be done before Portola Springs ever gets completed.

?No picnics, no bike paths or joggers,? he said. ?Proper and respectful.?

So much for momopi's dream of picnicking between the tombstones.  I guess that means no fishing or deer hunting either.

WTTCHMN said:
paydawg said:

"The cemetery would be constructed in 10 phases over 100 years".

Good God, construction will last 100 years?  At least it'll be done before Portola Springs ever gets completed.

?No picnics, no bike paths or joggers,? he said. ?Proper and respectful.?

So much for momopi's dream of picnicking between the tombstones.  I guess that means no fishing or deer hunting either.

O.k. This was one of the top 5 most hilarious posts I've read on T.I.  :D I present you with this:

4437002-d40e5df145729b49ec024351b08f63f706113fc2727714ad220e8022dc5dcc5b.jpg

100 years for construction is just ridiculous.  It's a cemetery for Christ's sake.  Just dig a hole and put some sod over it.

And if it really takes 100 years to construct, yaliu has nothing to worry about... it will be his own ghost who haunts the veterans, not the other way around.

. said:
irvinehomeowner said:
yaliu07 said:
my understanding on that disclosure statement is cemetery may or may not build.  it may build in anywhere in orange county.  however, it is build in GP, it may impact traffic. 

with that understanding, i should NOT buy any house in orange county...
So the disclosure *was* in your paperwork?

#truthtime

too lazy to dig up all the paper.  i just remember there is landfill, jail and nuclear power plant.  i dont remember if there is cemetery.

however, let's just assume there IS such disclosure, should I just NOT buy any old/new house in Orange county?

Update:

The following lingo now appears in disclosures.

"Silvermist at Beacon Park Page xxiv item 23 8-10-2015
Veterans Cemetery . In September 2014, legislation was adopted in California for the design, development, construction and maintenance of a state-owned and operated veterans cemetery within the area of the Orange County Great Park known as the Amended and Restated Development Agreement Site. That legislation provides that the development of a veterans cemetery within the Orange County Great Park is subject to the grant and receipt of funding from the federal Department of Veterans Affairs and the voluntary cooperation of the California Department of Veterans Affairs with local government entities in Orange County. At this time, the City has not considered or commenced the studies, procedures or agreements that would need to occur in order for the City to consider this site as a future cemetery. If a veterans cemetery were to be located within the Orange County Great Park, residents of the Master Community may experience, from time to time, increased traffic and/or the sights and sounds of military funeral ceremonies and related gatherings and other impacts associated with proximity to cemeteries ."

Source 10/06/15

Irvine, FivePoint may swap land for state veterans cemetery
March 16, 2016 Updated 8:56 p.m.

By SARAH de CRESCENZO / STAFF WRITER

IRVINE ? Backers of a proposal to build a state veterans cemetery at the former El Toro air base say a proposed land swap could fast-track the project, which has been beset by complaints from residents who oppose putting a burial ground near homes and a school.

Emile Haddad, chief executive officer of Aliso Viejo-based developer FivePoint, said he will consider trading land the company owns to the south of the Orange County Great Park for the city?s crescent-shaped piece in the northern portion of the park where the cemetery is slated to go.

Vietnam War veteran Bill Cook, who heads the Orange County Veterans Memorial Park group that has been fighting for years to get a military cemetery at the former base, said the committee is in favor of the proposal.

If elected officials in Irvine back it, that would allow the project to move ahead more rapidly than previously expected, he said.

Councilwoman Christina Shea, who has in recent weeks facilitated talks between FivePoint and cemetery backers, has requested the council talk over the offer at its April 12 meeting.

FivePoint?s Great Park Neighborhoods communities, which are being built around the park, have many Asian residents, some of whom follow the principals of feng shui, which discourage situating homes and schools near burial grounds. Hundreds of residents have demanded elected officials in Irvine relocate the cemetery.

The council agreed to set aside land for the cemetery in 2014.

After the site was identified, state legislators allocated $500,000 for a feasibility study, which the California Department of Veterans Affairs has been conducting ahead of a July 1 deadline for a federal grant.

It?s unclear how the proposed swap would affect that effort.

While CalVet is on track to finish the study by May, the land the study considered can?t be developed until the end of 2017 at the earliest, Shea said.

?I could see what a long-term effort this was going to be, to hopefully see anything in the next five, 10 or even 15 years,? she said.

Cook said the 125-acre plot was never an ideal spot for a cemetery.

?We went after that site because it was the only site left to us in the park,? he said. ?It has a strange shape with pointy corners and it has a significant amount of prep work and probably demolition mitigation needed, which will be expensive.?

No such work would be needed at the land to the south of the Great Park because it has only been used for agriculture, Shea said.

?There?s never been any development on it so there?s no issue of clean up like you?ve seen at many areas at the park,? she said.

Cook, who called the proposed trade with the city a ?very generous and gracious offer? on behalf of FivePoint, said the location would also provide visitors with easier access and the cemetery with a higher profile because of its visibility from the 405 and 5 freeways.

?It?s going to say: you?re in Irvine,? he said.

Haddad said he has heard concerns about the proposed cemetery site from area homeowners and salespeople alike.

?It?s not a secret that the cemetery issue has created a little bit of tension,? Haddad said. ?As we are building homes, moving into our future phases and getting closer to the proposed cemetery location, you could see that issue was not going to go away.?

That spurred him to consider trading the parcel south of the Great Park, even though those acres are valuable because of the nearness of the freeway, he said.

Still, ?from my perspective, I think trying to come up with a solution has a lot of value for everyone,? Haddad said.

That includes, of course, FivePoint.

The terms of a swap ? including the exact parcels to be traded ? would be determined only if the council were to support the proposal, he said.

But the land at the north of the park ? although it would need work before it could be developed ? is in a prime location, near scores of homes and next door to the future Portola High.

?The role I play is simply putting this as an option,? Haddad said. ?At the end of the day, this is really between the veterans and the city.?

Any benefits accrued by FivePoint aren?t a concern to the veterans? group backing the cemetery, Cook added.

?I?ve been called a sellout, but I think I?m moving the program forward expeditiously,? he said. ?We want a cemetery that honors, with perpetual rest, the veterans. If Mr. Haddad makes five times as much money by swapping land, good for him. He gave us a good deal.?

Back