Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

Isn't land swap a done deal?
irvinehomeshopper said:
Modjeska is a road that T into the cemetery. The new part of Portola Springs take access from this street. It's bad news to leave everyday and having to see the cemetery at the end of the street.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Sorry, what does this mean or indicate for the proposed temp homeless shelter?
Temp shelter is just step 1.
It would be inhumane to create a temp shelter and then kick everyone out.  After these fine folks learn to enjoy the Great Park, it would be cruel to yank it away from them.  Build a Great Homeless Shelter after the temp shelter becomes successful at bringing more people to our great community.

This is so shameful. The landswap was an excellent deal, benefitting both the veterans and the immediately surrounding community. Now it seems like the city is trying to capitalize on obtaining a prime plot of land that's closer to Irvine's business hubs. How do you phase out donation of a land if you're planning on building massive hotels on it?? Do they think we're that dumb?? I smell cronyism. Extremely disappointed in Wagner.

Villager said:
This is so shameful. The landswap was an excellent deal, benefitting both the veterans and the immediately surrounding community. Now it seems like the city is trying to capitalize on obtaining a prime plot of land that's closer to Irvine's business hubs. How do you phase out donation of a land if you're planning on building massive hotels on it?? Do they think we're that dumb?? I smell cronyism. Extremely disappointed in Wagner.

This is what happens when tbe city didnt want it in the first place.

Burn That Belly said:
FivePoint offered its prime freeway property, Haddad said, so the state can build a cemetery, not so the city can make money.
?If that?s the case, I want to keep the land and develop it myself,? he said. ?I?m disappointed for the veterans and I feel the veterans have not been served right.?

Hahaha, the city is totally unscrupulous, crooked and totally doesn't give a fu** about the veterans or the cemetery. It's all about the money. I'm with 5P on this one. F them and just keep the land to yourself and develop the business or do whatever you want with it.

But that's okay, that just means GP + PS3 get the cemetery after all !!  ;D
I still hope the landswap deal goes through, but without this scam stipulation by the city. I might just call the city and give them a piece of my mind (it won?t make a difference, but it will make me feel better about how awful this proposal is).

Irvine approves land swap, moves state?s veterans cemetery project forward

I wonder what Haddad is going to build there instead??

The council on Tuesday later discussed a zoning change to allow development of 812,000 square feet of research and development uses at the original cemetery site north of the Great Park. The site is also adjacent to FivePoint?s developing Great Park Neighborhoods.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/2...ves-states-veterans-cemetery-project-forward/

WTTCHMN said:

The council on Tuesday later discussed a zoning change to allow development of 812,000 square feet of research and development uses at the original cemetery site north of the Great Park. The site is also adjacent to FivePoint?s developing Great Park Neighborhoods.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/2...ves-states-veterans-cemetery-project-forward/
I pray that Fivepoint develops some kind of retail. I've never been interested in living near the Great Park for commute reasons, but the residents of GP, PS, and Altair need a nearby retail option with a grocery store. The nearest grocery store is a ten minute drive away... eight minutes too many, IMO.

Villager said:
WTTCHMN said:

I pray that Fivepoint develops some kind of retail. I've never been interested in living near the Great Park for commute reasons, but the residents of GP, PS, and Altair need a nearby retail option with a grocery store. The nearest grocery store is a ten minute drive away... eight minutes too many, IMO.

How far is grocery store should matter to only people who either visit it every day (e.g. store employee) or one that does not have a car and walks/bikes to the grocery store. Besides that, who cares how far is a grocery store?

Cornflakes said:
Villager said:
WTTCHMN said:

How far is grocery store should matter to only people who either visit it every day (e.g. store employee) or one that does not have a car and walks/bikes to the grocery store. Besides that, who cares how far is a grocery store?
It's not really a matter of how often you go to the grocery store, it's a matter of having the option. The convenience of having a grocery store in close proximity to where you live will never dawn on you until you're baking brownies, and you're one egg short.

Villager said:
WTTCHMN said:

Takes like 4 min max for PP and BP residents to get to Ralph's and TJ's.

aquabliss said:
Villager said:
WTTCHMN said:

Takes like 4 min max for PP and BP residents to get to Ralph's and TJ's.
Yep they are pretty close to Woodbury Town Center. I was referring more to the future GP developments closer to Altair, on the other side of Bosque. Should have been more specific.

It's not really a matter of how often you go to the grocery store, it's a matter of having the option. The convenience of having a grocery store in close proximity to where you live will never dawn on you until you're baking brownies, and you're one egg short.

Next time you make brownies, give some to your neighbors so if you're ever an egg short again, you can go over and ask for one.

Back