Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

qwerty said:
O Hills said:
It's a sad commentary that you believe picking vegetables is comparable to war.

There is nothing I can do to talk sense to those so divorced from reality.
I don't mean that as a cheap insult, just that your comments reflect that you have aboslutely no idea what war is like.
That you have been spared the horror of war is completely lost on you.

i think you are trying to get others to embrace your thoughts and beliefs.  its too bad you cant see that everyone is different and value different things.  i value all humans the same, you apparently dont. and thats fine. we are all entitled to our own opinions. just dont try to push them on me or others.

In my last post, I just said that I cant convince you.
I recognize a lost cause when I see one.

I love the serenity of living by the cemetery. I love the quiet neighbors. I actually prefer this adjacency than to a bunch of Chinese nationals as my neighbors. At my current stage in life I value quality of life vs incredible appreciation on a home that I must sell in order to reap the gain.

O Hills said:
qwerty said:
O Hills said:

I don't mean that as a cheap insult, just that your comments reflect that you have aboslutely no idea what war is like.
That you have been spared the horror of war is completely lost on

i think you are trying to get others to embrace your thoughts and beliefs.  its too bad you cant see that everyone is different and value different things.  i value all humans the same, you apparently dont. and thats fine. we are all entitled to our own opinions. just dont try to push them on me or others.

yeah but by making a derogatory comment against someone who doesnt share your views you are implying that your view is superior. 

qwerty said:
O Hills said:
qwerty said:
O Hills said:

That you have been spared the horror of war is completely lost on

yeah but by making a derogatory comment against someone who doesnt share your views you are implying that your view is superior.

It wasnt meant to be derogatory, just a fact that you would never make such a statement if you had ever experienced war.

But I know I will never convince you that we all owe a debt of gratitude to those who have laid down their lives for us.

Let's just agree to disagree.

qwerty said:
O Hills said:

Completely agreed with qwerty. 
The argument I want to make is location.  We, Asian, dont like cemetery because we believe in ghost.  Why can't the cemetery build in a non-Asian community.

yaliu07 said:
qwerty said:
O Hills said:

@O Hills, do you think the war is winning by soldiers in the battlefield, or scientists in Mahnattan project or woman in factories manufacture bullets and bombs?

The argument I want to make is location.  We, Asian, dont like cemetery because we believe in ghost.  Why can't the cemetery build in a non-Asian community.

Well.. I have to say that it's not supposed to be an "Asian community" per say.  I mean it is because a bunch of us bought here.. but that doesn't make it an asian community.  Woodbury Towncenter is as American as it gets. 

jmoney74 said:
yaliu07 said:
qwerty said:
O Hills said:

@O Hills, do you think the war is winning by soldiers in the battlefield, or scientists in Mahnattan project or woman in factories manufacture bullets and bombs?

Well.. I have to say that it's not supposed to be an "Asian community" per say.  I mean it is because a bunch of us bought here.. but that doesn't make it an asian community.  Woodbury Towncenter is as American as it gets.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11751.msg231141.html

Top 5 names of homebuyers in Irvine in 2013 were Chen, Lee, Wang, Liu and Kim.  How more Asian do you still need?

I do see qwerty's point but I do think it's not fair to compare what someone chooses (or may not choose) to do for a living versus someone who volunteers (or was drafted) into a position where the chance of losing their life is very high.

This isn't a commentary on whose "labor" is more important but rather risk and duty. I can take a stance and say what about all the nerds who made your Internet possible and the fact that you have electricity... but I would not make that comparison to someone who puts his life at risk to protect my freedom.

Yes, maybe qwerter's dad's labor put food on my table... but the fact that I have that table and am even here is due to the various wars that were fought in the past.

I am not in the military but I know enough history to be thankful for those who are.

And I don't believe in ghosts, but would not be too keen on living next to a cemetary.

yaliu07 said:
Is this your argument?  Seriously?  You don't speak for every Asian.  Also, nobody wants a cemetery near them.  Why don't you go ask Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, or Huntington Beach if they would rather have the cemetery cuz "Asians are scared of ghosts".  Gimme a f'ing break.

irvinehomeowner said:
I do see qwerty's point but I do think it's not fair to compare what someone chooses (or may not choose) to do for a living versus someone who volunteers (or was drafted) into a position where the chance of losing their life is very high.

This isn't a commentary on whose "labor" is more important but rather risk and duty. I can take a stance and say what about all the nerds who made your Internet possible and the fact that you have electricity... but I would not make that comparison to someone who puts his life at risk to protect my freedom.

Yes, maybe qwerter's dad's labor put food on my table... but the fact that I have that table and am even here is due to the various wars that were fought in the past.

I am not in the military but I know enough history to be thankful for those who are.

And I don't believe in ghosts, but would not be too keen on living next to a cemetary.

Correct, this is about those who made the ultimate sacrifice, not everyone who may have contributed to a war or your cushy OC lifestyle.

A memorial is a small gratitude to pay.

The Veteran's Cemetery proposal looks like nothing more than Councilmember Larry Agran creating a smokescreen and jamming Five Points as payback for the last Great Park re-shuffle.

He needs a smokescreen (Wag the Dog style) because the wagons are being circled around him for corruption; even the left-leaning OC Weekly has picked up on the trail.

Here's their recent article... this would be like WSJ doing a hit piece on Ronald Reagan.http://www.ocweekly.com/2014-07-24/news/moxley-confidential-larry-agran-great-park-irvine/

It's a shame that Agran is exploiting veterans to accomplish his task.

How about looking at this differently. The cemetery wouldn't end up in our backyards. Instead we have chosen to live in the backyard of the El Toro MCAS.

Not everyone lived in this surrounding area when the Marine base was a major contributing part of our region, but it is a fact and this piece of history must be kept as a part of Orange County.

The Preamble to the US Constitution mentions six points, one of which is the provision of a common defense for America and Americans. Every person who wishes to call the United States their home pledges allegiance to this point upon receiving their citizenship. This is not an attempt to argue citizenship, but to emphasize a goal of the USA and a way to honor those who provided for our freedom.

Kangen.Irvine said:
How about looking at this differently. The cemetery wouldn't end up in our backyards. Instead we have chosen to live in the backyard of the El Toro MCAS.

Not everyone lived in this surrounding area when the Marine base was a major contributing part of our region, but it is a fact and this piece of history must be kept as a part of Orange County.

The Preamble to the US Constitution mentions six points, one of which is the provision of a common defense for America and Americans. Every person who wishes to call the United States their home pledges allegiance to this point upon receiving their citizenship. This is not an attempt to argue citizenship, but to emphasize a goal of the USA and a way to honor those who provided for our freedom.

Only if you want to be a citizen...non-citizen aren't subject to the draft.

Irvinecommuter said:
https://www.sss.gov/fswho.htm

Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, and refugees.

Vinster said:
Irvinecommuter said:
https://www.sss.gov/fswho.htm

Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, and refugees.

Good to know :)

I never said I wasn't grateful for those guys that die in war to protect our freedom. A lot of recent deaths in the military in Iraq and Afghanistan have nothing to do with protecting our freedom. All I am saying is that I don't value one persons contributions over another. I don't see why I should put soldiers life on a pedestal but not a teacher who got killed by some armed student. My point is we are all humans, we all play a role in making the world go round and one life is not more honorable than the next. Put us all in the same cemetery. Society tends to hammer certain beliefs into people, you need to get married and have kids, military/cops/firefighters lives are more honorable than yours or mine, etc. just my view. Not arguing or trying to change anyone's view points or sound insensitive to those with military family members who have been killed in service

Back