Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

Kangen.Irvine said:
And what a great day for the city of Irvine to choose deserving people over the potential of another dollar.

You want to really increase the value of homes in the GP area, then return to the original great park plan instead of the commercialized excuse for a park consisting of a golf course.

I want another dollar.

I support Veterans Cemetery as long as it is NOT next to my house.

I think this is proposed location

see Img

206kigp.jpg

How do you define "next to your house?"  Probably going to be a good distance from PP, maybe the same or greater than Musick.
If the jail didn't bother buyers I'm sure the cemetery won't.

Besides, we all complain that FCBs keep driving up prices in Irvine, if they're scared off by a few dead soldiers, then that means more affordable homes for the rest of us patriotic 'Mericans!

Kangen.Irvine said:
And what a great day for the city of Irvine to choose deserving people over the potential of another dollar.

You want to really increase the value of homes in the GP area, then return to the original great park plan instead of the commercialized excuse for a park consisting of a golf course.

Is this a joke? All your emotional words ain't working. (deserving people, freedom)

yaliu07 said:
OCgasman said:
yaliu07 said:
There might be a Veterans Cemetery coming at Great Park.

If you don't want to have a Cemetery at Great Park, please go protest tomorrow 07/22 at 3:30pm and don't vote for Larry Agran any more.
http://www.voiceofoc.org/county/article_f3ba519e-10b1-11e4-af02-001a4bcf887a.html

PS.  Really really want to buy Qwerty bat right now
Why would you protest?  This is a cemetery and memorial for ppl that have served and fought for our country.  The great park is huge.  I think it's a nice gesture to our armed forces.

If I knew there will be any cemetery (including Veterans), I will NEVER purchase the house.  If you dont mind Veterans cemetery, I will gladly sell my house to you.

I'd be happy to buy your house at cemetery discount prices.

I'm Asian, and I think cemetery = "quiet neighbors".  If I take my air rifle out to plink, nobody is going to rise from their graves and complain about it.

AF-POSTER3-2T.jpg

eyephone said:
Kangen.Irvine said:

Is this a joke? All your emotional words ain't working. (deserving people, freedom)

The emotional words are working for me.
I'm a retired Marine, though, so I'm biased.

But, let me get this straight, you're OK with a toxic plume, but not a veteran's memorial? 

O Hills said:
eyephone said:
Kangen.Irvine said:

But, let me get this straight, you're OK with a toxic plume, but not a veteran's memorial?

So every closed base there should be a military memorial? Should there be a memorial or something to honor them for farm workers, farmers, factory workers, etc..?

Applaud for the Five Points thinking about what is right for People rather than what is right for the pocket book. I am glad that finally a sliver of Irvine finally has some sort of dignity.

O Hills said:
eyephone said:
Kangen.Irvine said:

I have respect for veteran/soldier and I understand what they sacrifice to bring peace.  I support to have a veteran cemetery. 

However, why in Irvine?  We, Asian, are afraid of ghost and Irvine is 40~50% Asian.  Why can't the veteran cemetery in the Non-Asian community?

This is probably not going to come off as very PC but I've never been a big fan if honoring one group of people over another, like eye phone said, why should a soldiers life be considered more honorable than a janitor, retail clerk, fast food worker, white collar worker, etc. also, let's not pretend that most soldiers join the military because they love this country and want to protect it. There probably are some but most aren't that altruistic. A lot of soldiers are people who were not, by societies standard, very smart and had no other choice but to join the military. I will say though that I don't think a lot of soldiers are appropriately taken care of by the govt when they come back after actually serving in actual combat.

qwerty said:
This is probably not going to come off as very PC but I've never been a big fan if honoring one group of people over another, like eye phone said, why should a soldiers life be considered more honorable than a janitor, retail clerk, fast food worker, white collar worker, etc. also, let's not pretend that most soldiers join the military because they love this country and want to protect it. There probably are some but most aren't that altruistic. A lot of soldiers are people who were not, by societies standard, very smart and had no other choice but to join the military. I will say though that I don't think a lot of soldiers are appropriately taken care of by the govt when they come back after actually serving in actual combat.

Couldn't your comments could apply equally to police and firemen?

Regardless of their motives, or level of intelligence, they volunteered and gave their lives fighting for your freedom to do things like express your thoughts and feelings on message boards.

If a janitor or farmer sacrificed their lives, yes, it would be appropriate for the benefited to show their appreciation.
Since, you and I and all americans have benefited from the veterans' sacrifice, it is appropriate for all of us to show our appreciation.  IMO 

Unfortunately, most people have no idea what others have sacrificed and assume they are simply entitled to everything this country provides. 

You cannot force anyone to be appreciative, so I won't try.  But realize that your freedom was not a gift, it was hard fought and won. 

I do feel the same way about police officers and firefighters.  And I do think intent should be considered. Who should I be more grateful to,  a screw up, who had no where else to go, joins the military and ends up in fighting in a war or someone like pat Tillman who could have played in the nfl and made the choice to go fight for his country. That i think is truly honorable, the other guy not so much.

O Hills said:
qwerty said:

Regardless of their motives, or level of intelligence, they volunteered and gave their lives fighting for your freedom to do things like express your thoughts and feelings on message boards.

If a janitor or farmer sacrificed their lives, yes, it would be appropriate for the benefited to show their appreciation.
Since, you and I and all americans have benefited from the veterans' sacrifice, it is appropriate for all of us to show our appreciation.  IMO 

Unfortunately, most people have no idea what others have sacrificed and assume they are simply entitled to everything this country provides. 

You cannot force anyone to be appreciative, so I won't try.  But realize that your freedom was not a gift, it was hard fought and won.

The US BENEFITED from cheap food/vegetables. Due to the cheap labor of farm workers. Do you think it's fun working in the sun or poor working conditions or working for less than minimum wage? I never heard of them complaining for a memorial.

Another thing I would like to add: farm workers who picked vegetables are exposed to pesticides

eyephone said:
O Hills said:
qwerty said:

The US BENEFITED from cheap food/vegetables. Due to the cheap labor of farm workers. Do you think it's fun working in the sun or poor working conditions or working for less than minimum wage? I never heard of them complaining for a memorial.

i grew up in a farming community where it gets to 120 degrees in the summer.  these guys bust their ass for minimum wage or less wearing long sleeve shirts because the direct sun is even worse.  my dad was also a laborer. blew out his back in his late 40s from constantly being bent over picking vegetables his whole life making minimum wage. he also severed the tips of two fingers. blown out back and severed finger tips, made for a great quality of life up until he died in 2012, like eyephone said, where is his memorial?

It's a sad commentary that you believe picking vegetables is comparable to war.

There is nothing I can do to talk sense to those so divorced from reality.
I don't mean that as a cheap insult, just that your comments reflect that you have aboslutely no idea what war is like.
That you have been spared the horror of war is completely lost on you.

O Hills said:

I don't mean that as a cheap insult, just that your comments reflect that you have aboslutely no idea what war is like.

i think you are trying to get others to embrace your thoughts and beliefs.  its too bad you cant see that everyone is different and value different things.  i value all humans the same, you apparently dont. and thats fine. we are all entitled to our own opinions. just dont try to push them on me or others.

O Hills said:

the fact that you have food on your table is completely lost on you.

Back