Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

OCgasman said:
thatOSguy said:
Protesting a Veteran's cemetery... Way to represent Irvine to the world!
This.  I think if it was just a regular commercial cemetery planned, a protest might gain some traction.  But protesting a Veteran's Cemetery and Memorial...I could see that being viewed as unAmerican and disrespectful to ppl that have lost their lives in service for our country, especially since the Great Park is supposed to be for all of Orange County, not just Irvine.  What is some FOB going to say when a reporter puts a microphone in front of his face asking why he's protesting a Veteran's memorial?

I don't think there will protests...I do think it's going to hurt 5 Points' ability to sell to FOBs and oversea buyers.  Regardless of "proximity", it's going to be bad press.  Same issue with Baker's Ranch.

WTTCMN said:
O Hills said:
You hate the crown jewel of GP? 
That's like saying you hate orange bicycles.  #sarcelig

Ok lemme clue you in here. If you hashtag - you have to spell it right. #category3
But hashtags can be misspelled for "cool" reasons right? You know... like #valuvlg instead of #valuevillage?

#srcsm?

The California Court Company said:
personally i like cemeteries. it adds a unique feel to the area. I think there is no better use of toxic land.

You're right, probably better than the massive park originally planned.
Less liability anyway.  #deadmencantsue

I guess it depends on where the cemetery is going to be located.

If the decision made by the City Council last night stands, this is a great decision by Irvine. Irvine is a great city, which needs to remember the many veterans who fought and sacrificed for the freedom this country benefits from and oftentimes forgets.

Families and veterans deserve a wonderful place to pay their respects and we can all learn by visiting a place of such honor. Let us unite as residents of Irvine to support those who have fought to support and protect us.

Kangen.Irvine said:
If the decision made by the City Council last night stands, this is a great decision by Irvine. Irvine is a great city, which needs to remember the many veterans who fought and sacrificed for the freedom this country benefits from and oftentimes forgets.

Families and veterans deserve a wonderful place to pay their respects and we can all learn by visiting a place of such honor. Let us unite as residents of Irvine to support those who have fought to support and protect us.

I have a suggestion/proposal have a wonderful cemetary in Riverside. No one wants to live by a cemetary.

But the bottom line is that a cemetery can potentially decrease surrounding property value.  A city like Irvine with new home sales supported by a large contingent of Chinese buyers will be affected.  Is it fair for Great Park homeowners to shoulder the risk?  We all want to support vets, but in the end it comes down to money:  if my home is going to depreciate or not appreciate as much, I will vote against the cemetery. 

Unfortunately the wants of the majority will overturn the needs of the few. 

So where's the site?  Near the 5th HS mentioned in the OC Register articles? 

qwerty said:
dont worry everyone, for the chinese, the allure of irvine schools > i see dead people.

Perhaps someone can use feng shui to convince the Chinese that it's good to have a VETERAN cemetery.  Veterans are people who died for a worthy cause, they will keep all the other evil spirits at bay.  How does that sound?

ZeroLot said:
qwerty said:
dont worry everyone, for the chinese, the allure of irvine schools > i see dead people.

Perhaps someone can use feng shui to convince the Chinese that it's good to have a VETERAN cemetery.  Veterans are people who died for a worthy cause, they will keep all the other evil spirits at bay.  How does that sound?

It's not feng shui.  Ghosts are considered bad by many Chinese people, especially those from overseas.  Cemeteries have ghosts because many died with regret, lost love, or just because they're angry.  Again, most overseas Asians have no affinity toward the military or veterans.

This land was originally El Toro MCAS and Five Pointe needs to honor Americans and set aside land to honor our veterans.

Do we value property values, which people assume will drop or the freedom we all enjoy due to the sacrifice?

Why do so many people value America...the freedom that exists and this cemetery is the least we can do. People who travel abroad appreciate returning home to the safety and security. People who come to America usually do so for this same freedom.

Think of what's best for our country and support these men and women. Irvine and anyone truly valuing all that we are blessed with should support our veterans. This is something the city of Irvine and its people should take the lead on.

Kangen.Irvine said:
This land was originally El Toro MCAS and Five Pointe needs to honor Americans and set aside land to honor our veterans.

Do we value property values, which people assume will drop or the freedom we all enjoy due to the sacrifice?

Why do so many people value America...the freedom that exists and this cemetery is the least we can do. People who travel abroad appreciate returning home to the safety and security. People who come to America usually do so for this same freedom.

Think of what's best for our country and support these men and women. Irvine and anyone truly valuing all that we are blessed with should support our veterans. This is something the city of Irvine and its people should take the lead on.

Hummed Battle Hymn of the Republic while reading this.

Unfortunately, I'm sure most people care more about their property values or Keeping up with the Kardashians for that matter.

Kangen.Irvine said:

I don't disagree with you and believe that there won't be any protests but just don't be surprised if housing values in the area is depressed.

And what a great day for the city of Irvine to choose deserving people over the potential of another dollar.

You want to really increase the value of homes in the GP area, then return to the original great park plan instead of the commercialized excuse for a park consisting of a golf course.

Kangen.Irvine said:
And what a great day for the city of Irvine to choose deserving people over the potential of another dollar.

You want to really increase the value of homes in the GP area, then return to the original great park plan instead of the commercialized excuse for a park consisting of a golf course.

You go girl!

Kangen.Irvine said:

You're preaching to the choir here.  I have no problems with a Veteran's Cemetery in Irvine and I think it's a very honorable idea.  Especially now that you reminded me that the Great Park used be be El Toro (LOVE the days where I watched the Blue Angels perform each summer).

I'm just trying to think of ways to convince the more superstitious crowd that it's NOT all bad.    Guess I'm not doing very well in that department.  I'll stick to just reviewing vendors.

Back