Trouble in Troy (SC)

USA Today: Misery Index's No. 1 spot goes to Southern California, Clay Helton

But when you see losses like Saturday, when the Trojans got blown off the field by Stanford 42-28, it seems like only a matter of time before the inevitable becomes reality.

The key stat from this game? Nine penalties for 111 yards, which has been a consistent theme of the Helton era. Not only have the Trojans been flat-out not good enough against the really good teams on their schedule, they?re consistently undisciplined.

And the fact that USC flopped this quickly against Stanford, a team that scored just seven points in a season-opening loss to Kansas State, puts the Trojans at No. 1 on this week?s Misery Index, a weekly measurement of knee-jerk reactions based on what each fan base just watched.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...otball-misery-index-loss-stanford/8308876002/

Here is a summary of the loss.https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/li...s-in-complete-systemic-breakdown-vs-stanford/

qwerty said:
That was a painful loss. I can?t wait till Helton gets fired.

Horrible loss, I wonder if they'll get rid of him mid season or after the end of the year.  The sooner, the better.

The California Court Company said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
That was a painful loss. I can?t wait till Helton gets fired.

Horrible loss, I wonder if they'll get rid of him mid season or after the end of the year.  The sooner, the better.

He gone already. before your post

That's a pleasant surprise, now who is his replacement going to be?

These buyouts are always amazing. But there is no money to pay the players. The big money is with the tv contracts yet the the players are dumb enough to be satisfied with name, image and likeness.

If the SEC players sat out for two weeks by the third week they would be getting their first check from that TV money

Any player wishing to make a substantial salary can take the risk and go pro. All revenues above a specified amount should go directly to lowering the cost of college for all students at the school. Therefore the winners such as Alabama can offer a complete college education for all of its students at zero/low cost.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Any player wishing to make a substantial salary can take the risk and go pro. All revenues above a specified amount should go directly to lowering the cost of college for all students at the school. Therefore the winners such as Alabama can offer a complete college education for all of its students at zero/low cost.
except the NFL, totally coincidentally, requires you to be 3 years out of high school to enter the draft

Who is excited about the Lincoln Riley hire?

Even as a Cal alum, I'm still rooting for any Pac-12 team (except Stanford  ;D) to make it to the playoffs. USC and Oregon are the best chances. Too bad Oregon screwed up.

CalBears96 said:

Even as a Cal alum, I'm still rooting for any Pac-12 team (except Stanford  ;D) to make it to the playoffs. USC and Oregon are the best chances. Too bad Oregon screwed up.

Great hire!  He'll inject new energy into the program and bring some great recruits. 

Wow. Crazy weeks.

First Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma for USC. Then Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame for LSU.

It's rare enough for one coach leaving a blue blood program for another one, but two doing so. Damn crazy.

USCTrojanCPA said:
CalBears96 said:

Great hire!  He'll inject new energy into the program and bring some great recruits.

USC offense is going to put up a lot of points. Riley should have no problem recruiting a great QB. USC is known for having great LB/DB/DT/DE, so if defense holds up, you should make it to playoffs in no time.

Good for them. The pac-12 is a lot easier conference.

I wonder how Oklahoma will do when it moves to the SEC. lol

CalBears96 said:
Wow. Crazy weeks.

First Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma for USC. Then Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame for LSU.

It's rare enough for one coach leaving a blue blood program for another one, but two doing so. Damn crazy.

I think Brian Kelly should of stayed at Notre Dame. tbd

eyephone said:
CalBears96 said:
Wow. Crazy weeks.

I don't know about that. I mean, currently Notre Dame is better than LSU. However,

(1) It's harder to recruit for Notre Dame than LSU. Louisiana is one of the states with great high school football players.
(2) Notre Dame's standard is much higher than LSU, making it even harder to recruit.
(3) Notre Dame's administration is harder to deal with than LSU's.

Seems like it's already paying off for USC.

Malachi Nelson, #3 prospect in the 2023 class and #2 QB (behind Arch Manning), has decommitted from Oklahoma and followed Riley to USC. Makes sense for him since he's from LA area (Los Alamitos High).

RB Raleek Brown from Mater Dei may do the same. Riley has already been out to see Brown trying to flip him as well.

CalBears96 said:
eyephone said:
CalBears96 said:
Wow. Crazy weeks.

I don't know about that. I mean, currently Notre Dame is better than LSU. However,

(1) It's harder to recruit for Notre Dame than LSU. Louisiana is one of the states with great high school football players.
(2) Notre Dame's standard is much higher than LSU, making it even harder to recruit.
(3) Notre Dame's administration is harder to deal with than LSU's.

I think it is easier for Notre Dame to go far than LSU.
LSU plays in the SEC. The hardest conference in college football. Good luck getting through Alabama.

eyephone said:
I think it is easier for Notre Dame to go far than LSU.
LSU plays in the SEC. The hardest conference in college football. Good luck getting through Alabama.

Just look at the latest CFP rankings:

1. Georgia (12-0)
2. Michigan (11-1)
3. Alabama (11-1)
4. Cincinatti (12-0)
5. Oklahoma State (11-1)
6. Notre Dame (11-1)

See what I see? 4 teams with 11-1 record and Notre Dame is ranked last between them. And...2 SEC teams. Fact is, SEC gets preferential treatment over an independent Notre Dame.

With the playoffs potentially being expanded to 8 or 12 teams, it shouldn't be hard for LSU to make it if they're good. Really, Alabama aren't really that great. They barely beat LSU 20-14 this year.

Also, are we forgetting who was the 2019 National Champions?

Back