Things you wish you could tell people.

[quote author="tmare" date=1253189250][quote author="bltserv" date=1253188950]<blockquote>Just for the record, Nude. I?m really referring to some of the more overt tactics used by our friends over at FOX lately, he racism, going to euthanize your grandmother type of stuff. </blockquote>

I think this is going to make him fussy. Faux News is fair an balanced. Watching Glenn Beck is like taking BAD LSD.</blockquote>

Watch out, you missed a "d" on that and. I think I'm reading Nude correctly in believing that he really isn't a FOX news guy. I hope I'm not wrong. We don't need an even more grouchy Nude, although it is always fun. Please, Nude, don't attack me, I like Oscar the Grouch, I tend towards the negative myself.</blockquote>

I do, in fact, NOT watch Fox News. I don't watch MSNBC, CNN, or CNN HLN, either. Occasionally I will watch BBC, or Bloomberg, and CNBC is usually on in the background when I am on the computer. The problem with "watching the news" is that you are getting only one version of events, filtered though the producer's/reporter's/network's view, and condensed into 60 seconds or less. At best, you choose a network that aligns with your views and at worst, you just mindlessly absorb the propaganda being fed to you. Either way, there is NO difference between cable news and talk radio these days, as evidenced by the hiring of talk radio hosts to host hour-long "news" shows, where they attempt to tell you what to think about current events.

While I hate Google's apparent determination to rule the intarwebz, I love <a href="http://news.google.com/">Google News</a> because it allows me to actually <strong>read</strong> the news stories, contrast reports against each other, and do further research if I think I'm getting snowed. T.V. News is mildly acceptable at the local level, useless at a global level, and pure propaganda at the national level. There are no more Tim Russerts, Hal Fishmans, or Ed Bradleys left to tell the truth, just people like Olberman, Hannity, and Couric who merely regurgitate the spin and soundbites.

Dear Fox News,

In this piece:

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

Your reporter Sean Hannity dedicates a whole episode to growers in the San Joaquin Valley and the water issues we face. As one of the effected growers, I appreciate him bringing attention to the issue, but I must ask - does he have to lie about it? Is it too much to ask for him not base the program on outright falsehoods? He states:

<blockquote>Tonight, we tell you the story of how a government has failed its own people, how radical environmentalists threaten the American dream, and how a liberal agenda that promised so much has left so many great Americans behind.</blockquote>

The date of this program was September 17th. The Department of the Interior removed the restrictions on pumping on June 30th - the decision to restrict pumping was done by the Department of the Interior in December 2008 under former President George W. Bush. Further, this ignores the larger issue of the ongoing drought in California, although it didn't escape the Department of Interior.

<em>Q. Some people are blaming the Obama Administration's efforts to conserve salmon populations and the delta smelt, a threatened fish, for water shortages in the Central Valley. They are asking the federal government to turn on water pumps that deliver water through the Bay Delta to Central Valley users, but which -- to protect the Bay Delta and fish populations -- were recently subject to temporary pumping restrictions. Why won't the Obama Administration turn the pumps on?

A. The pumps are on. The temporary pumping restrictions that were required under the Endangered Species Act ended on June 30th. They accounted for approximately one-quarter of 2009 water delivery shortages to farms and water users; the other three-quarters of this year's delivery shortage were the result of a lack of run-off. </em>

But I guess that explains why they didn't do the shoot at the Delta pumping station or on the State Aquaduct ? watching those pumps run wouldn?t make for good TV, even if it was the truth. And I haven't even gotten to the 40% unemployment Hannity keeps bringing up is almost all illegal immigrant labor - a group that has been a regular target of Hannity's past reports. If that's not duplicitous enough, please note that barren field Sean is standing in. That's a tomato field - AFTER they harvest it. It's supposed to look that way ? all of them do.

This isn't fair and balanced - it's lying, disingenuous, and you should be ashamed.

Regards,

Me

Dear Obnoxious Bitch....

I was helping a poor soul whose car had overheated and broken down. It was 100 degrees, the car was stalled on a hill and we were pushing it without any aid.

I'm sorry your giant SUV (With AC running full blast and the phone stuck up your ass) was stopped for an extra 30 seconds or so.... Any help you might have rendered would have been

exceptionally helpful. You looked like you could use a little extra workout to lose that extra 100 lbs or so.

Next time I will be happy to get out of your way and leave the car blocking everybody, plus I will be happy to put potassium permanganate and glycerol in your gasoline tank. The explosion would be quite spectular. Thank you

-bix

p.s. I think NoVas should lead us on a vine trip!

He wasn't even IN the balloon, ABC, why are you still pimping the story?!??!? Also, who is the idiot who thought "hmmm.... I bet that 10 pound balloon can lift a 60 pound kid, forget about searching the house for him"? Where was Bill Nye when you need him?!?!?

:shut:

Loud talking idiot on the cell phone at Starbucks.

Shut the F up and order.

Maria Shriver

Get the F off your cell phone your freaking husband is the Gov. that passed the no cell phone law. Damn Left Wing Democrat Kennedy doesn't think the rules apply to them.

Jon & Kate and every news organization.

WHO CARES!!!!!

The Kardasians.

Please see above!!

Lamar Odom.

Good Thining with the Prenup!!!!

President Obama

Not as easy as you thought it would be. Is it.

Rush Limbagh

You should be thankful they didn't let you buy into the Rams.

Yankee Haters

I smell another world series coming our way.

Democrats

I hate entitlement programs, if you want to subsidize other peoples bad decesions that is fine. I don't want to.

People that need to get over 3 lanes in 20 feet because they don't want to miss their turn so they make the rest of the traffic stop behind them.

I wish it were legal to just ram you into next week you self important a hole.

People that drive below the speed limit.

Take the damn bus if you don't care when you get there.

Parents with abnoxious kids

No I don't think your kid is cute.

[quote author="Nude" date=1255701490]... Also, who is the idiot who thought "hmmm.... I bet that 10 pound balloon can lift a 60 pound kid, forget about searching the house for him"? Where was Bill Nye when you need him?!?!?

</blockquote>

Volume of an oblate ellipsoid = 1.33*pi*length radius^2*height radius

Approximate bubble-boy balloon dimensions = 20? X 5?

Balloon volume = 1047.2 ft^3

Helium density at 20? water column ~= 0.0112 #/ft^3 (assumed internal pressure)

Air density at Denver conditions (12.2 psia & 70 degrees F) = 0.0729 #/ft^3 (ignore humidity)

Lifting capacity = (density He - density air) * Volume displaced * g/gc

Lifting capacity = (.0729-.0112) * 1047.2 * 32.2/32.2

Lifting capacity = 64.6 pounds

If the balloon weighed ~ 10 pounds, then ?

How much does a little boy weigh?

[quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255737229][quote author="Nude" date=1255701490]... Also, who is the idiot who thought "hmmm.... I bet that 10 pound balloon can lift a 60 pound kid, forget about searching the house for him"? Where was Bill Nye when you need him?!?!?

</blockquote>

Air density at Denver conditions (12.2 psia & 70 degrees F) = 0.0729 #/ft^3 (ignore humidity)

How much does a little boy weigh?</blockquote>

Is it an African or European balloon?

[quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255737229][quote author="Nude" date=1255701490]... Also, who is the idiot who thought "hmmm.... I bet that 10 pound balloon can lift a 60 pound kid, forget about searching the house for him"? Where was Bill Nye when you need him?!?!?

</blockquote>

A six year old would have to weigh less than that unless he was obese. If these calculations are correct, then I guess that's the reason it was taken so seriously. I really didn't think it was possible, I guess it is, plausible....that's another story.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1255737873]

Is it an African or European balloon?</blockquote>
Is it an African or European boy?

I dunno, that leaves 50 lbs and the average weight for a 6-year old boy (American) is 46.2 pounds. Considering it didn't look fully inflated and how high it went... I still don't think it was a feasible scenario however as a parent... I wouldn't rule it out either.

</blockquote>

Don't forget the drag factor. Assuming the kid weighs 50# the basket would sag too much and deformed the oblated Ellipsoid. This form is most effective floating in air (Buoyancy) when its axis is horizontal but the weight of the boy would have deformed the shape thus lengthen its vertical axis losing its aero dynamic effect.

The foil when landed appeared like a heavier gage of Mylar party balloon without any structural skeletal wire or rope reinforcement tied to the bottom basket. Learn from the air balloon and the massive amount of ropes tied to the basket is the key for structural stability. It did not have the proper structure. Would you jump on a trampoline with a Mylar lining?

Although the helium may have the uplift force to carry the weight of the child and balloon but the concentrated load of 50# would have sheared the Mylar when excessive tensile force is placed on it.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

Don't forget the drag factor. Assuming the kid weighs 50# the basket would sag too much and deformed the oblated Ellipsoid. This form is most effective floating in air (Buoyancy) when its axis is horizontal but the weight of the boy would have deformed the shape thus lengthen its vertical axis losing its aero dynamic effect.

The foil when landed appeared like a heavier gage of Mylar party balloon without any structural skeletal wire or rope reinforcement tied to the bottom basket. Learn from the air balloon and the massive amount of ropes tied to the basket is the key for structural stability. It did not have the proper structure. Would you jump on a trampoline with a Mylar lining?

Although the helium may have the uplift force to carry the weight of the child and balloon but the concentrated load of 50# would have sheared the Mylar when excessive tensile force is placed on it.</blockquote>

The differential velocity between the balloon and the air currents it is propelled by is effectively zero, so negligible drag factor. :smirk:

[quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255740013][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

Although the helium may have the uplift force to carry the weight of the child and balloon but the concentrated load of 50# would have sheared the Mylar when excessive tensile force is placed on it.</blockquote>

The differential velocity between the balloon and the air currents it is propelled by is effectively zero, so negligible drag factor. :smirk:</blockquote>

Theoretically possible in Physics but not possible in Material Science. Wire or ropes attached to the basket good in tensile force must be sewn in tightly spaced seams of the mylar.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606][quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255737229][quote author="Nude" date=1255701490]... Also, who is the idiot who thought "hmmm.... I bet that 10 pound balloon can lift a 60 pound kid, forget about searching the house for him"? Where was Bill Nye when you need him?!?!?

</blockquote>

I took one look at it and said "he's not in it" but not for the same reasons bk expressed. True, the balloon was made of mylar and had no interior structure, which means he would have deformed it by simply being inside (like a six-pack of soda in a plastic bag) and it would have been blatantly obvious. Also true, any interior structure strong enough to prevent deformation would have reduced the available payload the balloon could lift meaning he wouldn't get off the ground. But really, people are missing the obvious: how does a kid <strong>sneak inside</strong> a balloon that has to be sealed to prevent the helium from escaping... was there some sort of hatch built in rather than just a standard fill valve?

Furthermore, what idiot buys/builds a balloon, fills it with helium, and later thinks "my kid could be inside" when it's floating around. This was a staged event; no one who has ever made a gas balloon of any size would ever design a child-sized opening into it's interior and expect it to remain inflated, they would use a standard size fill tube or valve. Therefore, either Dad is the world's stupidest person, or he's lying through his teeth.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255740611][quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255740013][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

The differential velocity between the balloon and the air currents it is propelled by is effectively zero, so negligible drag factor. :smirk:</blockquote>

Theoretically possible in Physics but not possible in Material Science. Wire or ropes attached to the basket good in tensile force must be sewn in tightly spaced seams of the mylar.</blockquote>

You the man BK. Material Science is the new Chemical Engineering.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

Don't get fooled by the thickness of Mylar - it is used mainly because of its high tensile strength (bi-directional). If you look at the balloon, the basket was surrounded by the Mylar foil (not a single point contact). If you consider that you have about 48" diameter of foil attaching to the basket, it should be able to handle quite a bit of weight. No need for additional structural reinforcements or ropes.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1255741406][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

Don't get fooled by the thickness of Mylar - it is used mainly because of its high tensile strength (bi-directional). If you look at the balloon, the basket was surrounded by the Mylar foil (not a single point contact). If you consider that you have about 48" diameter of foil attaching to the basket, it should be able to handle quite a bit of weight. No need for additional structural reinforcements or ropes.</blockquote>

That makes sense. I did not study the basket and only viewed a few seconds of news footage. If the weight of the basket is evenly distributed to the balloon then it is totally possibly. I thought it is attached to just a few points with some grommets.

[quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255741049][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255740611][quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255740013][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

Theoretically possible in Physics but not possible in Material Science. Wire or ropes attached to the basket good in tensile force must be sewn in tightly spaced seams of the mylar.</blockquote>

You the man BK. Material Science is the new Chemical Engineering.</blockquote>

I don't want to seem too pedantic but it's "Materials Science" (pluralize the material). You know that we are living in a material world, but it's called Materials Science. I suck at jokes.

i need to remind myself to be thankful...paraphrasing the lyrics of the submarines:

"Here I am with all the pleasures of the first world

Laid out before me who am I to breakdown?

Everyday I wake up,I choose Love

I choose Light

And I try, it?s too easy just to fall apart..."

Back