Things you wish you could tell people.

traceimage_IHB

Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

It is tacky to put "gift cards welcome, thanks!" on that little note on your Babies R Us baby registry. This is tacky because

it's obvious (who wouldn't want a gift card from a store they obviously shop at?), and because it implies you're just interested in the monetary value of the gift and don't want your friends/family/random online stalkers taking the time to pick out a nice present for your baby. Maybe you're just trying to be nice and letting people know that if they're too busy to pick out a gift, it's ok, and they can just send you a gift card. But it's still tacky. You might as well be saying, "cash welcome!"

You also said, "please include a gift receipt." This is tacky and stupid because presumably, you only put things you want on your baby registry to begin with, so why would they need to include a gift receipt? Maybe you're worried that you might get two of the same items (unlikely since the registry self-updates when someone buys something). Or maybe your concern is that something will be damaged and you'll need to return it. I guess that's plausible. But I still think it's tacky.

Ok, I feel better now!

There are thousands of miscellaneous things that a baby needs and those things may not be worthwhile to put on the registry such as toilet seat and cabinet locks or a gate for the stairs. A giftcard is often for purchasing the utilitarian things.

Receipts are often needed because a baby often outgrown the expensive outfits before having a chance to wear it and especially those cute seasonal coats rarely get worn in Southern CA. A high percentage of gifts from baby shower rarely get used and the practical everyday items come from either Target, Walmart, and Costco.

Dear B is too practical.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

It is tacky to put "gift cards welcome, thanks!" on that little note on your Babies R Us baby registry. This is tacky because

it's obvious (who wouldn't want a gift card from a store they obviously shop at?), and because it implies you're just interested in the monetary value of the gift and don't want your friends/family/random online stalkers taking the time to pick out a nice present for your baby. Maybe you're just trying to be nice and letting people know that if they're too busy to pick out a gift, it's ok, and they can just send you a gift card. But it's still tacky. You might as well be saying, "cash welcome!"

You also said, "please include a gift receipt." This is tacky and stupid because presumably, you only put things you want on your baby registry to begin with, so why would they need to include a gift receipt? Maybe you're worried that you might get two of the same items (unlikely since the registry self-updates when someone buys something). Or maybe your concern is that something will be damaged and you'll need to return it. I guess that's plausible. But I still think it's tacky.

Ok, I feel better now!</blockquote>

It sounds like you are bitter because your friend actually says what is on her mind(request giftcards, etc) and you dont. I like the chinese style of wedding gifts. Cold hard cash in the little red envelopes. Much better than giftcards or thoughtful gifts.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1253079798][quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

It sounds like you are bitter because your friend actually says what is on her mind(request giftcards, etc) and you dont. I like the chinese style of wedding gifts. Cold hard cash in the little red envelopes. Much better than giftcards or thoughtful gifts.</blockquote>

There is a huge generation gap between the parents and the "kids". Chinese parents rarely know what the children want so the red envelope is a good universal default gift. A pack of 25 red envelopes is only $1 vs a money jacket/card of $2.99 from Target.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253080078][quote author="qwerty" date=1253079798][quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

It sounds like you are bitter because your friend actually says what is on her mind(request giftcards, etc) and you dont. I like the chinese style of wedding gifts. Cold hard cash in the little red envelopes. Much better than giftcards or thoughtful gifts.</blockquote>

There is a huge generation gap between the parents and the "kids". Chinese parents rarely know what the children want so the red envelope is a good universal default gift. A pack of 25 envelopes is only $1 vs a money jacket/card of $2.99 from Target.</blockquote>
In Europe...it's the WHITE envelope. ;)

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253080215][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253080078][quote author="qwerty" date=1253079798][quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

There is a huge generation gap between the parents and the "kids". Chinese parents rarely know what the children want so the red envelope is a good universal default gift. A pack of 25 envelopes is only $1 vs a money jacket/card of $2.99 from Target.</blockquote>
In Europe...it's the WHITE envelope. ;)</blockquote>

Hopefully without a post marked stamp on it or printed company address.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1253080494][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1253080215][quote author="bkshopr" date=1253080078][quote author="qwerty" date=1253079798][quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

In Europe...it's the WHITE envelope. ;)</blockquote>

Hopefully without a post marked stamp on it or printed company address.</blockquote>
Nope, just licked close with a card and the receiver name in big printed letters.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1253079798][quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

I'm not bitter. I just think it's tacky. Why make a registry at all, if you'd rather have a gift card or money?

Incidentally, I agree that cash is a better gift. When I was getting married, my dad joked that I should register at Bank of America. But a lot of people feel uncomfortable about giving cash because it seems impersonal.

I agree. I suggest reading Emily Post of etiquette. Speaking of this subject. We were at Vroman in Pasadena and it has a stationery department offering personalized stationery and wax seal tools. I missed stores like this with Cranes paper products and fine writing instruments. I guess the only demand is in San Marino where writing etiquette still exist.

In Irvine store like this would be quickly replaced by an Office Depot.

I'm with trace, if B wasn't a direct family member, after giving the present definitely I'll have a bittersweet aftertaste.

If B wasn't my best friend, I sense some abuse of the relationship, I feel that I'm being forced, directed to do something in circumstances that I don't like.

the whole point of a gift in this situation is to help someone out. who cares if a gift is impersonal or not. At christmas time i give my family members money, because i know that is what they need but wont ask. Why would i spend the money on something "thoughtful" when i know they would prefer the money. I do give the little ones toys though, since they cant play with money.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1253086343]the whole point of a gift in this situation is to help someone out. who cares if a gift is impersonal or not. At christmas time i give my family members money, because i know that is what they need but wont ask. Why would i spend the money on something "thoughtful" when i know they would prefer the money. I do give the little ones toys though, since they cant play with money.</blockquote>

Asian kids play with money. They learn their mental math and counting cards early to get ahead in their math class.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1253077926]Sometimes I have things I want to get off my chest, but I can't because it is socially unacceptable or none of my business. So how about doing it here?

Dear B:

Im glad you feel better, and I agree about people "soliciting" their registries for cash is tacky, but the gift receipt part is just petty.

Dear young male relative,

Please stop contacting me repeatedly for money. The only time I hear from you is when you need more. I?m sorry you lost your job but it might be easier for me to sympathize had you not bought a brand new vehicle right before relocating here (which you committed fraud on your loan application to get) and also taken a 6-month long vacation upon arrival. I tried telling you back then that you could not afford to waste time and should hit the ground running but you didn?t listen. Even so, when things got rough and you came to me for help, I gave you more than you asked for, confidant that you had learned something and were on your way. I was very disappointed to get your recent call that you were careless? you let your new car set on a red curb, it was towed, and now you can?t afford the impound fee to get it back. Things are so bad you had to (*gasp*) sell your surfboard. I am insulted that you are asking me to bail your new vehicle out of the yard. I honestly feel it would be in your best interest to not get it back. In the next breath, you tell me you?re going to default on the payments soon anyway so? why should I throw my money at this problem again? And yes, I know it made you uncomfortable living with a male model for a roommate but that is no excuse to stop rooming with him and think you can afford to go it alone because you ?deserve? better? not in this economy and not with your lack of responsibility. You have 75 cents in your checking. You can not afford to be picky! Do you not get it? I do not totally blame you because you are very young and have a lot to learn yet. You?re a good guy but this is one of those times you have to learn to stand on your own two feet. So, please. Stop using the phrase, ?Gotta take care of #1!?. It?s really obnoxious and reminds me that you only care about putting your needs before others. Please take my hint when I say I won?t help financially this time. Also, don?t beg after I?ve said no. It?s embarrassing.

Regards,

SoCal

Dear Ben,

Seriously?

Your buddy,

Daedalus

PS You may want to publicly address the widespread rumor that has you pegged as an expert on the Great Depression.

Dear College Student,

Get an effing job. I'm sick of hearing excuses about why you've never really had one. You're a charming, good looking young man and I know that if you actively looked for a job, you'd have no problem securing employment! Times are tough for your parents right now, and I'd be so proud if you got a job and took over the payments on the car that you are driving. It's time to grow up!

Sunshine

Dear Upstairs IAC Neighbor,

You snore so loud that you keep me awake most nights. Your bed is directly above mine. I've never heard any man saw wood as loud as you. Please try some nasal strips or move to the couch... I have to be up early.

Regards,

SoCal

Dear Coworkers,

Sometimes you just plain stupid and I really can't stand you. I know, I do a good job of pretending that I enjoy doing everything for you, but sometimes I need to get my own stuff done.

(wow, that really felt good, probably wouldn't feel that good to say it for real though)

Back