Things you wish you could tell people.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1255742682][quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255741049][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255740611][quote author="ConsiderAgain" date=1255740013][quote author="bkshopr" date=1255739606]

Don't forget the drag factor. Assuming the kid weighs 50# the basket would sag too much and deformed the oblated Ellipsoid. This form is most effective floating in air (Buoyancy) when its axis is horizontal but the weight of the boy would have deformed the shape thus lengthen its vertical axis losing its aero dynamic effect.

The foil when landed appeared like a heavier gage of Mylar party balloon without any structural skeletal wire or rope reinforcement tied to the bottom basket. Learn from the air balloon and the massive amount of ropes tied to the basket is the key for structural stability. It did not have the proper structure. Would you jump on a trampoline with a Mylar lining?

Although the helium may have the uplift force to carry the weight of the child and balloon but the concentrated load of 50# would have sheared the Mylar when excessive tensile force is placed on it.</blockquote>

The differential velocity between the balloon and the air currents it is propelled by is effectively zero, so negligible drag factor. :smirk:</blockquote>

Theoretically possible in Physics but not possible in Material Science. Wire or ropes attached to the basket good in tensile force must be sewn in tightly spaced seams of the mylar.</blockquote>

You the man BK. Material Science is the new Chemical Engineering.</blockquote>

I don't want to seem too pedantic but it's "Materials Science" (pluralize the material). You know that we are living in a material world, but it's called Materials Science. I suck at jokes.</blockquote>

You guys are going to make me bust out my drag calculator...

Back