The world famous Jeffrey Open Space Hobo made the news

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1239949449]Woodbridge buried weapons cache .</blockquote>

Huh?? I never heard about that one... unless this is the same incident as the one in year 2000 when they found anthrax buried in the yard of the biomedical researcher in Woodbridge. Same?

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1239950651][quote author="High Gravity" date=1239949449]Woodbridge buried weapons cache .</blockquote>

Huh?? I never heard about that one... unless this is the same incident as the one in year 2000 when they found anthrax buried in the yard of the biomedical researcher in Woodbridge. Same?</blockquote>

I think we're talking about the same person, from NYT:

"Buried next to his swimming pool they found canisters containing machine guns and C-4 plastic explosives. In refrigerators at his home and office, next to the salad dressing and employee lunches, were 266 bottles and vials of pathogens -- among them salmonella, cholera, botulism and typhoid. The deadly poison ricin was stored, with a blowgun and darts, in a plastic bag in the family room. A compartment under the floorboards held medical files on 83 women."

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/03/us/california-doctor-s-suicide-leaves-many-troubling-mysteries-unsolved.html?pagewanted=all">NYT article on Woodbridge weapons cache</a>

The good thing about new Irvine homes is the lots are so small would-be terrorists have no room for a buried weapons cache.

Thanks. Oh, ok, yes - Larry Ford. It's in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbridge,_Irvine,_California">wiki </a>too. Crazy.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1239951092]So creepy. The dark side of Wisteria Lane kind of thing.</blockquote>

Sorry, "lane" is not a politically correct term for Irvine. It suggests front yards, white picket fences and tight street width and radius curvature not endorced by Orange County Fire Authority. In recent Irvine the best thing is to leave out " street, lane, place, court, and etc" because of legal road specification issues.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1239951531][quote author="NewToOC" date=1239951092]So creepy. The dark side of Wisteria Lane kind of thing.</blockquote>

Sorry, "lane" is not a politically correct term for Irvine. It suggests front yards, white picket fences and tight street width and radius curvature not endorced by Orange County Fire Authority. In recent Irvine the best thing is to leave out " street, lane, place, court, and etc" because of legal road specification issues.</blockquote>

Seriously is that why there aren't any street suffixes (Ct, St, Terr, etc.) on the roads? We would call those words thoroughfares at the big Bell Telephone company I consulted at. I thought that was a laid-back California thing... we can't be bothered to come up with two names. Everybody's too busy surfing. Poor little USPS goes to all the trouble of making up acceptable abbreviations for them and everything:

<a href="http://www.usps.com/ncsc/lookups/abbreviations.html#suffix">USPS Street Suffix Abbreviations</a>

But there are actual requirements for a Lane vs. a Court? Government truly has gotten way way way too big! :)

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1239954614][quote author="bkshopr" date=1239951531][quote author="NewToOC" date=1239951092]So creepy. The dark side of Wisteria Lane kind of thing.</blockquote>

Sorry, "lane" is not a politically correct term for Irvine. It suggests front yards, white picket fences and tight street width and radius curvature not endorced by Orange County Fire Authority. In recent Irvine the best thing is to leave out " street, lane, place, court, and etc" because of legal road specification issues.</blockquote>

Seriously is that why there aren't any street suffixes (Ct, St, Terr, etc.) on the roads? We would call those words thoroughfares at the big Bell Telephone company I consulted at. I thought that was a laid-back California thing... we can't be bothered to come up with two names. Everybody's too busy surfing. Poor little USPS goes to all the trouble of making up acceptable abbreviations for them and everything:

<a href="http://www.usps.com/ncsc/lookups/abbreviations.html#suffix">USPS Street Suffix Abbreviations</a>

But there are actual requirements for a Lane vs. a Court? Government truly has gotten way way way too big! :)</blockquote>

Yes, street as labeled must meet trip counts, width, parallel parking, hydrology distribution, catch basins and civil engineering criteria.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1239948245]Ms. BK shopped at that Albertson and her purse was lifted twice from the shopping cart next to her while she was loading groceries into the trunk... The Birkin Bag was over $10,000. </blockquote>

Birkin Bag gets BK thumbs-up. Sexy bag.

Birkenstocks would get BK thumbs-down.

The guy is not near Woodbury. This is the second article that guy has written about him. Here's the first one:

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/spirit-says-neighborhood-2357666-adam-writer">a particular shopping center in Irvine near the 405 Freeway </a>

I'm guessing he's talking about Quail Hill.

I actually think it is the retail center on the corner of Michelson and University (the one with the Ralphs and the IHOP).

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1239956041][quote author="bkshopr" date=1239948245]Ms. BK shopped at that Albertson and her purse was lifted twice from the shopping cart next to her while she was loading groceries into the trunk... The Birkin Bag was over $10,000. </blockquote>

Birkin Bag gets BK thumbs-up. Sexy bag.

Birkenstocks would get BK thumbs-down.</blockquote>

Some Berkeley grads traded their undergrad Birkenstocks for Laboutins and Birkin bag with successful career in the City of SF.

[quote author="zovall" date=1239958078]I actually think it is the retail center on the corner of Michelson and University (the one with the Ralphs and the IHOP).</blockquote>
Yeah, you're probably right...that one's more ghetto. :lol:

This post has got me thinking. Yesterday morning on the way to driving my little guy to school across town (we live in Woodbury but he's finishing out the school year in Westpark), I stopped off at the Trabuco Grove Albertsons to return his Redbox Kirby movie I'd rented for him. He asked me if he could stay in the car and keep playing his DS while I returned it. So I left him in there (he's six) with the engine running while I ran in. It took me all of 45 seconds but as I ran back out, my gut was screaming at me that this was a STUPID move and I almost cried as I drove off, imagining a scenario where I would be running out of the store screaming to call 911 as my baby was driven away in my car.

At the very least I figured I should turn off the engine and bring the key fob with me so the car couldn't be driven away; but really, I need to drag him with me regardless of the kvetching and whining that would ensue...

He's usually pretty good about cutting off the complaining when I explain that I'm dragging him somewhere with me because I don't want anyone to steal him away from me. Such a horrible thought. Really freaks us both out.

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1239956235]The guy is not near Woodbury. This is the second article that guy has written about him. Here's the first one:

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/spirit-says-neighborhood-2357666-adam-writer">a particular shopping center in Irvine near the 405 Freeway </a>

I'm guessing he's talking about Quail Hill.</blockquote>
Yep... that's Quail Hill.

I can confirm this because I had a Spirit sighting several weeks ago. It struck me as funny because QH is supposed to be upscale (c'mon... how many centers have a store that sells premium dog products?).

I still think Irvine is much safer than most parts of Orange County (except those out of the way South County areas)... but I've never been to Floral Park.

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1239970401]This post has got me thinking. Yesterday morning on the way to driving my little guy to school across town (we live in Woodbury but he's finishing out the school year in Westpark), I stopped off at the Trabuco Grove Albertsons to return his Redbox Kirby movie I'd rented for him. He asked me if he could stay in the car and keep playing his DS while I returned it. So I left him in there (he's six) with the engine running while I ran in. It took me all of 45 seconds but as I ran back out, my gut was screaming at me that this was a STUPID move and I almost cried as I drove off, imagining a scenario where I would be running out of the store screaming to call 911 as my baby was driven away in my car.

At the very least I figured I should turn off the engine and bring the key fob with me so the car couldn't be driven away; but really, I need to drag him with me regardless of the kvetching and whining that would ensue...

He's usually pretty good about cutting off the complaining when I explain that I'm dragging him somewhere with me because I don't want anyone to steal him away from me. Such a horrible thought. Really freaks us both out.</blockquote>

Always take 'em with you

<A href="http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-12-2704083838_x.htm">http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-12-2704083838_x.htm</A>

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240018284][quote author="jumpcut" date=1239956235]The guy is not near Woodbury. This is the second article that guy has written about him. Here's the first one:

I can confirm this because I had a Spirit sighting several weeks ago. It struck me as funny because QH is supposed to be upscale (c'mon... how many centers have a store that sells premium dog products?).

I still think Irvine is much safer than most parts of Orange County (except those out of the way South County areas)... but I've never been to Floral Park.</blockquote>

I am at Quail Hill almost every other day, and have never seen him there.

I think I saw him at the McDonalds bike rack in the mall on Alton that has Ralphs in it (see earlier post).

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240018284][quote author="jumpcut" date=1239956235]The guy is not near Woodbury. This is the second article that guy has written about him. Here's the first one:

I still think Irvine is much safer than most parts of Orange County (except those out of the way South County areas)... but I've never been to Floral Park.</blockquote>

Floral Park has no retail center.

[quote author="zovall" date=1239958078]I actually think it is the retail center on the corner of Michelson and University (the one with the Ralphs and the IHOP).</blockquote>

Here's another attempt to answer the 'which retail center' question...

He may be at some of the other centers too (visiting?) but I believe the one the article mentions is the one on the corner of Michelson and University. Here are the clues from the April 8th Register article:

<blockquote>He angers the manager of the grocery store with his presence</blockquote>
Check

<blockquote>I walked with him to the gas station</blockquote>
Check

<blockquote>Leaning on the wall between a mail box business and an empty storefront with a for lease sign</blockquote>
Mailbox business, check. Empty store front with a for lease sign, not sure.

<blockquote>I sprinted to my car and sped down the hill.</blockquote>
The author of the article, Adam Probolsky, lives in Turtle Rock per the article. This retail center is just down the hill (via Ridgeline).

Also, if you visit this retail center, you will see his <em>shopping cart of stuff</em> .. <em>spread out over three outdoor tables in middle of the well manicured retail plaza</em>.

Back