The world famous Jeffrey Open Space Hobo made the news

Zovall is right regarding the retail plaza. It is an older plaza with an aim mail center. Mail center can?t afford the rent at newer retail center. The gas station across from Ralphs is Mobil where Spirit bought his flavored coffee. There is vacancy in this plaza.

Spirit spent a part of his days south of the 405 and often he hid in the nature trails adjacent to University Ave. He also frequents the IVC library where he enjoys the indoor air conditioning and reads.

By the evening he walks back to the Jeffrey open space trail but stopping by the Goodwill donation center off the 5 after the employee left for the day. He looks for discarded items that were not selected for resale. Clothes and blankets in particular. His favorite is Prada.

He also drives an Albertson 4 wheel drive hybrid. He has recently traded it in for an luxury Kohl shopping utility vehicle.

During the evening he uses the Jost public restroom for sponge bath and the facilities inside Woodbury.

Before the recession he held odd jobs like clearing debris at construction jobsites and slept in houses under construction. He is not a recent Irvine resident. Because of the halted construction his trail became more exposed.

Woodbury and surroundings made it possible for Spirit to enjoy resort lifestyle without a mortgage, hoa and mello roo.

Spirit is bored at night so he walks around studying why window muntins are sandwiched between two piece of glass instead of outside. His favorite is powder room windows.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1240036378]Zovall is right regarding the retail plaza. It is an older plaza with an aim mail center. Mail center can?t afford the rent at newer retail center. The gas station across from Ralphs is Mobil where Spirit bought his flavored coffee. There is vacancy in this plaza.

Spirit spent a part of his days south of the 405 and often he hid in the nature trails adjacent to University Ave. He also frequents the IVC library where he enjoys the indoor air conditioning and reads.

By the evening he walks back to the Jeffrey open space trail but stopping by the Goodwill donation center off the 5 after the employee left for the day. He looks for discarded items that were not selected for resale. Clothes and blankets in particular. His favorite is Prada.

During the evening he uses the Jost public restroom for sponge bath and the facilities inside Woodbury.

Before the recession he held odd jobs like clearing debris at construction jobsites and slept in houses under construction. He is not a recent Irvine resident. Because of the halted construction his trail became more exposed.

Woodbury and surroundings made it possible for Spirit to enjoy resort lifestyle without a mortgage, hoa and mello roo.

Spirit is bored at night so he walks around studying why window muntins are sandwiched between two piece of glass instead of outside. His favorite is powder room windows.</blockquote>

Bk, do we get to see the Irvine surveillance room on the home tour? Alert: everyone watch out for BK's cameras in your neighborhood village.

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1240037174][quote author="bkshopr" date=1240036378]Zovall is right regarding the retail plaza. It is an older plaza with an aim mail center. Mail center can?t afford the rent at newer retail center. The gas station across from Ralphs is Mobil where Spirit bought his flavored coffee. There is vacancy in this plaza.

Spirit is bored at night so he walks around studying why window muntins are sandwiched between two piece of glass instead of outside. His favorite is powder room windows.</blockquote>

Bk, do we get to see the Irvine surveillance room on the home tour? Alert: everyone watch out for BK's cameras in your neighborhood village.</blockquote>

I have talked to Spirit several years ago when he worked at a local jobsite for a day. There are more underground homeless folks and runaway teenagers living in various parts of Irvine as well. There are 2 land parcels adjacent to IVC and Oakcreek golf course with Orange trees. Sometimes you will see Spirit carrying oranges walking along Jeffrey.

At China Garden the tall Hispanic busboy Jose saves him leftover foods from the table.

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1240033906]Zovall, IHB: Investigator of Hobo Barracks :)</blockquote>

IHB=Irvine Hobo Blog

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1239970401]This post has got me thinking. Yesterday morning on the way to driving my little guy to school across town (we live in Woodbury but he's finishing out the school year in Westpark), I stopped off at the Trabuco Grove Albertsons to return his Redbox Kirby movie I'd rented for him. He asked me if he could stay in the car and keep playing his DS while I returned it. So I left him in there (he's six) with the engine running while I ran in. It took me all of 45 seconds but as I ran back out, my gut was screaming at me that this was a STUPID move and I almost cried as I drove off, imagining a scenario where I would be running out of the store screaming to call 911 as my baby was driven away in my car.

At the very least I figured I should turn off the engine and bring the key fob with me so the car couldn't be driven away; but really, I need to drag him with me regardless of the kvetching and whining that would ensue...

He's usually pretty good about cutting off the complaining when I explain that I'm dragging him somewhere with me because I don't want anyone to steal him away from me. Such a horrible thought. Really freaks us both out.</blockquote>

ISM,

If your gut feeling is telling you this. Then it's was a bad idea. Believe it or not, when my wife and I go to the ATM machine. While she's sitting in the car, I always turn off the engine...lock the doors and take the car key with me. On hot summer days, if she insists on waiting in the car, I would crack the windows, take the car key and lock the doors. And this is my wife. :)

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1240036378]Zovall is right regarding the retail plaza. It is an older plaza with an aim mail center. Mail center can?t afford the rent at newer retail center. The gas station across from Ralphs is Mobil where Spirit bought his flavored coffee. There is vacancy in this plaza.

He also drives an Albertson 4 wheel drive hybrid. He has recently traded it in for an luxury Kohl shopping utility vehicle.

He "walks" from Michelson to Bryan and back every day? That's one buff hobo.

[quote author="zovall" date=1240033464][quote author="zovall" date=1239958078]I actually think it is the retail center on the corner of Michelson and University (the one with the Ralphs and the IHOP).</blockquote>

Here's another attempt to answer the 'which retail center' question...

He may be at some of the other centers too (visiting?) but I believe the one the article mentions is the one on the corner of Michelson and University. Here are the clues from the April 8th Register article:

</blockquote>
I also think he visit multiple places. The reason I think it's QH is because I've actually seen him and....

<blockquote>He angers the manager of the grocery store with his presence</blockquote>
Albertson's.

<blockquote>I walked with him to the gas station</blockquote>
AMPM (also has flavored coffee).

<blockquote>Leaning on the wall between a mail box business and an empty storefront with a for lease sign</blockquote>
Right across from the AMPM, AIM Mail Center has an empty store space next to it with the standard TIC For Lease info on the window.

<blockquote>I sprinted to my car and sped down the hill.</blockquote>
<blockquote>The author of the article, Adam Probolsky, lives in Turtle Rock per the article. This retail center is just down the hill (via Ridgeline).

</blockquote>
This is probably the only hole unless you speed down the hill and hop onto the 405.

Adam my fellow research expert wrote to me and confimed the center was University Center off Campus Dr. The 405 reference sent all of us on a wild goose chase.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1240293465]Adam my fellow research expert wrote to me and confimed the center was University Center off Campus Dr. The 405 reference sent all of us on a wild goose chase.</blockquote>
I don't get why why he didn't just say that in his article. What's the point of steering readers to the wrong location?

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1240294752][quote author="bkshopr" date=1240293465]Adam my fellow research expert wrote to me and confimed the center was University Center off Campus Dr. The 405 reference sent all of us on a wild goose chase.</blockquote>
I don't get why why he didn't just say that in his article. What's the point of steering readers to the wrong location?</blockquote>

Disclosure may cause unwanted legal issues. Patrons may stay away and retailers who wanted out may cite such an incidence as a reason to shorten their lease agreement. Do not forget this is Irvine. Writers have to walk a delicate rope in editorial censorship.

Negative news must be stopped or down played because they can alter the consumers perception of safety. The owner of the retail center could take legal action if the content is presented in such a way that may affect the retail centers businesses.

The icicle gun was also finally located in Santa Ana by the Irvine Police. The self inflicted incident at the Grocery shopping center near Roosevelt was an isolated case not representative of typical Irvine. Spirit actually lives in Santa Ana and he walked a long way to Irvine because the flavored coffee is the best at this retail center near the 405.

This week I saw Spirit... twice! Both times he was on his bike, long white hair blowing, riding right around Jamboree at the 5 at the same time - about 6:30 a.m. I have also come to the realization that Irvine has two... count 'em - two!... hobos. Spirit is <strong>NOT </strong> the JOST hobo that I have seen on several occasions. While he may frequent the JOST, so does another hobo.

Lately I've seen two new hobos.

Black guy, dreadlocks, maybe late 30's, average weight. Seen him along Sand Canyon, Jeffrey, Jamboree everywhere from the 5 to Portola Pkwy.

Hispanic guy, older man, fairly petite, white curly hair almost shoulder length. Shuffles when he walks and talk to himself. I saw him on Robinson, making his way to the west Irvine trail, where the other homeless guy above was also hanging out yesterday, sitting on the trail facing Jamboree.

So that currently makes four hobos I've seen in Irvine.

^ Thanks for the tip. The Jeffrey Open Space certainly seems to be a popular hangout lately for those seeking "solace". I will keep an eye out next time I'm there.

The former school site in Woodbury will be the highest end of all the new homes from 8 executive builders. The New Home Company formed by Webb, Davis and Redwitz will have a challenge there when Irvine Sheriff would not allow them to build a wall between the site and JOST knowing that wankers do hang around there and the homes facing the trail would intimidate the hobos from congregating there.

I hope trolls would read this and prepare a better plan to market the most expensive homes with 4 hobos living there. Use the political favors to take out the hobos by violating their civil liberty or create some no loitering ordinance immediately and when the hobos step into JOST there will be arrested and put in jail along with the potato chip thieves.

How about the Asian Michael Jackson in Woodbury, anyone? Two times at the playground closest to the town center I've encountered the AMJ. Who is the AMJ you ask? Young Asian guy with shoulder length hair whom wears tight clothing and big white sunglasses that acts drugged and tries to play with everyone's children at the playground.

<a href="http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/disclaimer.aspx">Megan's Law Map</a>

Just accept the disclaimer and search away!

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1252030247]<a href="http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/disclaimer.aspx">Megan's Law Map</a>

Just accept the disclaimer and search away!</blockquote>

Didn't find him there. If I ever see the AMJ again I'll try and get a pic.

Back