The new iPhone 4 is HAWT!

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeowner said:
It would be easier to go to LTE since that does support voice/data.

You'll have to wait until 2012 for that: iPhone6.

Sadly, I think you are right. 2012 at the earliest for LTE Iphone. AT&T won't get their LTE up and running until the end of this year and Apple has a history of slow adoption of new cell network technology.

I still think VZW should have waited until Apple could get their LTE chips into the iPhone and then just release it in the summer as iPhone 4G or iPhone 5.

They would still have the jump on AT&T and their iPhone would be better than AT&T's. Right now they are just taking the air out of the new LTE Android phones they just released.

VZW: "But it's the HTC Thunderbolt on our new 4G LTE network!"
iSheep: "It's not an iPhone."
VZW: "And we have the Motorola Droid Bionic 4G too!"
iSheep: "It's not an iPhone."

Took notice that the data plans were not announced.  Gizmodo's piece on "Don't buy a Verizon Iphone4" was a compelling counterpoint to THE BIG NEWS.

I'm a long time VZW customer (back to LA Cellular and the Motorola Brick Phone) and am considering a move to the Dark Side. ATT's got a few sweet refurb'd (cosmetic only) IJebus 4 phones for $80. Hopefully the rush to VZW will shake up the ATT networks bottlenecks enough to move from VZW.

SGIP

I think until they say something different, they are going to use the current data plans VZW has set up:

$15/month - 150MB data
$29.99/month - Unlimited data

If they choose to tier it like AT&T did, they would probably match and do $25 for 2GB.

If I were VZW, I would keep the Unlimited since AT&T no long offers it to new subscribers.

But that brings us to the next question... can VZW handle all the iSheeple checking their Facebook accounts on their iPhones? People complained about AT&T but I don't think they realized it was the sheer volume of data users... not just the quality of the network.

So did anyone pre-order?

Pre-order are closed now... online orders on 2/9 and in-store on 2/10.

For those who ridiculed AT&T for their inability to handle iPhone 4 business... I think VZW will see just how hard it is to weather an uber-popular phone that is used by less-than-tech-savvy users.

irvinehomeowner said:
So did anyone pre-order?

Pre-order are closed now... online orders on 2/9 and in-store on 2/10.

For those who ridiculed AT&T for their inability to handle iPhone 4 business... I think VZW will see just how hard it is to weather an uber-popular phone that is used by less-than-tech-savvy users.

My contract isn't up till May so I will wait to see what the Iphone 5 brings. My best guesses:
1) Dual Core processor
2) Improved graphics processing
3) Improved Camera/Video
4) Near Field Communications (NFC) for purchases--doubtful
5) World phone--use of multiband radio from QualComm combining GSM/CDMA (LTE support unlikely)
6) Enhanced voice recognition

iacrenter said:
My contract isn't up till May so I will wait to see what the Iphone 5 brings. My best guesses:
1) Dual Core processor
Maybe... maybe not. Dual core also eats battery life depending on the implementation.
2) Improved graphics processing
That could help with #1 above.
3) Improved Camera/Video
I'm actually impressed by the iPhone camera (any pictures I post here are done with the iPhone). It's the best phone camera I've had (even the old 3G two generations back had good pictures). 720p is decent video but 1080p would be nice.
4) Near Field Communications (NFC) for purchases--doubtful
I thought I read they were doing this.
5) World phone--use of multiband radio from QualComm combining GSM/CDMA (LTE support unlikely)
I also recall seeing some breakdown of the VZW iPhone that has the GSM chip too... so this is very possible.
6) Enhanced voice recognition
Part and parcel with #1 and probably upgrades to iOS.

Most likely I will skip the iPhone 5 (we ARE waiting for the iPad 2)... unless there is some real compelling feature (which I doubt... retina display alone was the big reason I jumped into the iPool). Will probably upgrade in 2012... when Irvine SFRs are only $500k (or $1.5m).

irvinehomeowner said:
ps99472 said:
Street fighter is. $0.99 starting today!
Ha-do-ken!!!!
images

Always loved those sounds:
Ha Dou Kenhttp://www.hark.com/clips/dsftklpbvx-fireball-sound
Sho Ryu Kenhttp://www.hark.com/clips/vkffwgtxvc-sho-ryu-ken

NBA Jam is now avail..boomshakalaka.. he's on fire!  for $5
http://www.ea.com/games/nba-jam-iphone#1

btw, anyone know how to stream Lakers game audio on their iPhone?  Want to listen to tonights game but will be at work.  I can get AM 710 on my tunein radio app but live games are blacked out?  someone suggested jailbreak my phone?  or maybe setup up a slingbox for the game but will probably be choppy.  and yes, my normal radio reception is non-existent at work for AM stations.

I think more people wanted to avoid the lines and preordered and this product is actually spread out more among multiple retailers.

They are still going to sell quite a few... preorders sold out in 2 hours.

@ps99472: My thumbs are sore. I'm amazed at how good that game plays on a phone... I had a SF game on my WinMobile 6.5 phone and it doesn't even come close to the iPhone. It has me considering getting one of these:

icpmain.jpg

http://www.icontrolpad.com/home

Soylent Red picked up an IJebus4 from Verizon today. It's a replacement for my daughter, Soylent Yellow, vintage 2009 phone. Will report on call quality and if there are any dro.........

Every so often I check ATT's refurbished lines. The deals come and go, but as of 3:00 today they had a scratch refurbished IJebus 3GS for .01c. How the mighty have fallen.

Soylent Green Is People.

Yep... without LTE and no significant improvement over AT&T iPhone4 other than "The Network"... people are going to wait.

I'm just wondering if Apple will do a 2-carrier simultaneous rollout for the iPhone5. Speaking of, funny rumors abound: a smaller iPhone or an iPhone with a physical keyboard.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yep... without LTE and no significant improvement over AT&T iPhone4 other than "The Network"... people are going to wait.

I'm just wondering if Apple will do a 2-carrier simultaneous rollout for the iPhone5. Speaking of, funny rumors abound: a smaller iPhone or an iPhone with a physical keyboard.

I think iPhone 5 with a physical keyboard would kill the iPhone.  Also, I think the smaller iPhone would too.  I have a hard enough time reading things on my iPhone as it is - and playing games on it, especially when going from iPad to iPhone - the differenece is astronomical! 

I think the smaller iPhone would be good if they kept the same screen size (3.5"). The rumor is they are getting rid of the home button (replaced with a multi-finger gesture) and using an edge-to-edge screen on the sides. So you get a smaller footprint (1/3 or more less), but same screen.

Then they can also make a 4" iPhone in the same form factor as the current one... matching Android phones out there but keeping the phone pocketable.

The keyboard iPhone is probably a non-start... but you never know, tons of Android phones have keyboards, however Jobs has been against it from the getgo.

Back