The Meadows, Lake Forest by Toll Brothers

40% of El Toro High School students are White, 38% of students are Hispanic, 14% of students are Asian, 6% of students are Two or more races, and 2% of students are Black.

That student body ratio doesn’t seem like it would make El Toro a sports powerhouse :)
At least not in the major American sports.

El Toro High is also a sports powerhouse. A smart Asian kid with 4 years of sports and high gpa/scores from ETHS will likely do better in admissions than a comparable Irvine USD grad.
while that might be true, these kids will be in shock since the HS did not prepare them for the competitiveness in the top colleges; the chance of failing and dropping out is higher.

ETHS baseball is 3-8 this season with losses to Northwood, LB, and MV. The arenado name and legacy def lives on there but I don’t know about powerhouse.

ETHS baseball is 3-8 this season with losses to Northwood, LB, and MV. The arenado name and legacy def lives on there but I don’t know about powerhouse.
I’d take every single comment from transplant octosv with a grain of salt on TI.

Yeah... I dunno... I rarely hear about El Toro when it comes to sports... I thought most athletes came from the private Catholic schools.

like Trinity League?
Yea bc they can recruit athletes unlike (most) public schools that rely on where an athlete’s parents decide to buy/rent a house. There are some public school transfers for sports but not super common.

The programs may be down currently but look up recent history and those sports have multiple CIF titles. I would imagine demographics have shifted dramatically over the past decade.

The programs may be down currently but look up recent history and those sports have multiple CIF titles. I would imagine demographics have shifted dramatically over the past decade.
Public schools will always be at a loss when it comes to sports because like bones said, private schools (not just Catholic) can recruit and give incentives. At least Irvine has some reputation other than athletics but who can afford to live here?

This ranking is interesting - ET down at 47 though MV is #2 and Trabuco ramked highly as well - both schools one can attend if living in SVUSD - you can go tot any one of the high schools

Yea.... ETHS is.... tough. Luckily, none of the SVUSD high schools are impacted so all are open to intradistrict transfers. But like with anything, more than just athletics and/or academics involved. Social groups, driving distance, etc all play a role when deciding to leave your zoned schools.

Public schools will always be at a loss when it comes to sports because like bones said, private schools (not just Catholic) can recruit and give incentives. At least Irvine has some reputation other than athletics but who can afford to live here?
No one can compete with the Catholics - I think SMCHS had 30+ seniors sign LOIs this past fall. But the Irvine schools have been doing well too. Not coastal OC well but not too bad.

If you're living in some of the recently closed homes, are you seeing any genuine increases in school aged children? I know the first phase had a vast number of speculative buyers now looking to flip their way out, which in the short run reduces the number of kids in these properties. Any rentals are going to be $7-$10k per month and that's not really a family friendly rent level. If there is a relatively low K-12 newbie count, there doesn't really seem to be an incentive by SBVUSD to build a new school.
I am in BR, and last year at one of the community events they had about 200 kids were 2 and under that showed up. There are a LOT of families here.

Also where are you getting 10k a month? Maybe for the model home of Evergreen? We saw some rentals for 4500 already.

Growing up in OC, the general consensus on high school education can be simplified as:
- south OC / private catholic schools = athletics
- irvine = academics
- beach = athletics +/- academics
- everywhere else = mixed

Of course this is reductionist thinking… however, there can be some level of truth in a given trend. A classmate & friend of mine in grad school was on the same basketball team as Klay Thompson at RSMCHS; take that for what you will.

Agree too from what I've seen. But like I mentioned upthread, Irvine is coming around with sports so they are academics + (some) sports. The Irvine demo is definitely dumping money and time into sports - you see it with a lot of Ivy/good D3 college commitments. Yes, I know no sports scholarships for either but college money is fungible (aid, grants, etc). Catholics and coastal OC will still dominate sports esp in the headcount scholarship sports which I think are men's football, men's bball, women's volleyball, women's tennis and women's gymnastics. All of which require height and size (minus gymnastics).

$7-$10k per month for rent was just a plug in, not an actual figure. If the landlord was to cover their entire nut - loan (if any) taxes, insurance, and HOA dues, $7k would be pretty close. A $1.5m home with 30% down and a mortgage rate of 5.5% comes about to $7,900 PITIHOA. Yes, these speculators often paid cash, but there are some speculators that finance as well.

Back