The Landing Tustin Legacy (Brookfield Residential)

Brilliant marketing by Tustin and TUSD to create a "magnet" school. Asian people love their magnet schools.

bones said:
Brilliant marketing by Tustin and TUSD to create a "magnet" school. Asian people love their magnet schools.

But asians can pay for after school programs and live in Irvine.

The higher rates go, the more people who have a house will not list their house but instead keep it. Probably lead to an even worse supply/demand problem.

Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

The higher rates go, the more people who have a house will not list their house but instead keep it. Probably lead to an even worse supply/demand problem.

How can TUSD who gets shitted on up and down this forum differentiate themselves from IUSD? Create a ?magnet? school- something IUSD will never do. That?s all I?m saying. How each individual family makes decisions on buying/moving/etc is something I have no clue about.

bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

How can TUSD who gets shitted on up and down this forum differentiate themselves from IUSD? Create a ?magnet? school- something IUSD will never do. That?s all I?m saying. How each individual family makes decisions on buying/moving/etc is something I have no clue about.

the truth?
schools -> overrated
good parenting -> underrated

... i'm just sayin'

anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'
100000% agree. That's why I laugh every time I see tiger parents always emphasizing going to the "best" schools. Just because your kids are book smart, it doesn't mean they will do well after schooling. I've seen far too many cases where book smart individuals cannot socialize or figure things out themselves. Why? Because they are use to mommy/daddy controlling their lives instead of having them to learn to make their own decisions and live with the results. Use the bad experiences as learning lessons to improve and be better.

anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'

Didn?t I call it a brilliant marketing tactic?

bones said:
anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'

That assumes the city and school district have mutual goals and work together. I doubt that is the case. Tustin has a very long (over 30 years) history of delaying using mello funds to build new schools and trying to get kids from new neighborhoods to attend old schools.

Irvine, otoh, has the city, irvine company and schools intertwined for each of their benefits and works together closely, quickly using mello funding and building schools as housing is built.

I don't think it's a marketing gimmick. There are lots of districts nationwide that see the benefit of STEM programs. If it was a gimmick, that school would have been marketed heavily to Greenwood and most people knew nothing of it when they moved in.

Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:
anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'

That assumes the city and school district have mutual goals and work together. I doubt that is the case. Tustin has a very long (over 30 years) history of delaying using mello funds to build new schools and trying to get kids from new neighborhoods to attend old schools.

Irvine, otoh, has the city, irvine company and schools intertwined for each of their benefits and works together closely, quickly using mello funding and building schools as housing is built.

I don't think it's a marketing gimmick. There are lots of districts nationwide that see the benefit of STEM programs. If it was a gimmick, that school would have been marketed heavily to Greenwood and most people knew nothing of it when they moved in.

If you say so. The press release for it literally calls the school ?a calling card for TUSD and our community?.

bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:
anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'

If you say so. The press release for it literally calls the school ?a calling card for TUSD and our community?.

What press release?

This one?
https://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/resources/news-releases

Sounds like a gimmick all right.

But what if Irvine gets a Stem magnet school? Then it wasn't actually some gimmick?

Pretty funny accusing Tustin of marketing, given how the Irvine Company markets the schools to China, even travelling there to hype their housing.

I don't care. I'm leaving.

sleepy5136 said:
anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'
100000% agree. That's why I laugh every time I see tiger parents always emphasizing going to the "best" schools. Just because your kids are book smart, it doesn't mean they will do well after schooling. I've seen far too many cases where book smart individuals cannot socialize or figure things out themselves. Why? Because they are use to mommy/daddy controlling their lives instead of having them to learn to make their own decisions and live with the results. Use the bad experiences as learning lessons to improve and be better.

yup.  i've learned this over the years in speaking with many friends who grew up in irvine.  suffice it to say, the overwhelming majority do not look back on their childhood fondly.

of course ymmv.  its still a great place to live.  but it does make me think twice before sending my kids to iusd.

anteaterMD said:
of course ymmv.  its still a great place to live.  but it does make me think twice before sending my kids to iusd.

That's pretty much why I'm waiting until my kid going off to college (this fall) before moving to Irvine.

Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:
anteaterMD said:
bones said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bones said:

the truth?
schools -> overrated

... i'm just sayin'

What press release?

This one?
https://www.tustin.k12.ca.us/resources/news-releases

Sounds like a gimmick all right.

But what if Irvine gets a Stem magnet school? Then it wasn't actually some gimmick?

Pretty funny accusing Tustin of marketing, given how the Irvine Company markets the schools to China, even travelling there to hype their housing.

I don't care. I'm leaving.

All I said was TUSD was smart to brand one of their schools a magnet school bc IUSD would never do that. Not sure what you?re so mad about. You?re the one that used the word ?gimmick? but now that I think about it - that?s apt. Let?s build a magnet school on shit land and have its architecture mirror the historical hangers behind it :)

Bye?

bernieeee said:
Question - for these homes are people relying on the legacy magnet academy for the school district? Otherwise these homes are zoned for Tustin High which isn?t that great from what I understand. I?m just curious as to why other homes zoned for Tustin High aren?t getting as much interest as these new homes at the Landing, with similar specs. Like those at Levity, or Columbus Square. These all have higher property taxes and higher hoa, like these homes at the Landing.

I know a number of people who bought in Levity just to get into LMA, and Columbus Square homes sell extremely fast, with SFH almost never coming on the market.  Landing/Columbus Square/Levity/Greenwood are all zoned for Heritage and LMA, not sure why Tustin High still shows as their high school, but it isn't.  But may have to do with the fact that LMA is a both a middle school & high school. 

If you really wanted a place solely to get into Magnet, buy a one bedroom Terra for under 600K and rent it out to a UCI student or young single person who works in the area after you use the address to get into TMA.

poonie1999 said:
bernieeee said:
Question - for these homes are people relying on the legacy magnet academy for the school district? Otherwise these homes are zoned for Tustin High which isn?t that great from what I understand. I?m just curious as to why other homes zoned for Tustin High aren?t getting as much interest as these new homes at the Landing, with similar specs. Like those at Levity, or Columbus Square. These all have higher property taxes and higher hoa, like these homes at the Landing.

I know a number of people who bought in Levity just to get into LMA, and Columbus Square homes sell extremely fast, with SFH almost never coming on the market.  Landing/Columbus Square/Levity/Greenwood are all zoned for Heritage and LMA, not sure why Tustin High still shows as their high school, but it isn't.  But may have to do with the fact that LMA is a both a middle school & high school.
Magnet won't have all grade levels for another year.

So what's the verdict is this a good place to buy even with the price increases every release? We're a young couple no kids, looking at terra or Luna options. There's more development happening over in Great Park/Solis Park so that's an option but I want to stay away from being in a potential fire area?

Check the Lake Forest threads... crappy schools aren't preventing the long wait lists and bidding wars over there!*

*I have no data that says Lake Forest schools are crappy... I'm experimenting with a morekoas posting style.

Hydronos said:
So what's the verdict is this a good place to buy even with the price increases every release? We're a young couple no kids, looking at terra or Luna options. There's more development happening over in Great Park/Solis Park so that's an option but I want to stay away from being in a potential fire area?

The verdict depends on what you want/need. I'm in a similar demographic, I love the location 10-minute walk to wholefoods, tj maxx, costco and 5 minute walk to target all my favorite stores. I think it won't be below market pricing when I get a chance to buy it but even at market pricing, but I think there is potential to outpace the rest of the market as the community develops because it's the last large development around the area and quite honestly Irvine is overpriced (I own a condo in Irvine). This area of Tustin is super closer to what i call central Irvine (block between 5, 405, culver, and jamboree) than any of the new Irvine developments and the magnet school is promising but there is still a slight discount to Irvine.

chromatin said:
Hydronos said:

The verdict depends on what you want/need. I'm in a similar demographic, I love the location 10-minute walk to wholefoods, tj maxx, costco and 5 minute walk to target all my favorite stores. I think it won't be below market pricing when I get a chance to buy it but even at market pricing, but I think there is potential to outpace the rest of the market as the community develops because it's the last large development around the area and quite honestly Irvine is overpriced (I own a condo in Irvine). This area of Tustin is super closer to what i call central Irvine (block between 5, 405, culver, and jamboree) than any of the new Irvine developments and the magnet school is promising but there is still a slight discount to Irvine.

It is also close to Santa Ana homeless shelter down the road. Dyer/Barranca street is full of homeless zombies walking around or soliciting drug money.

Back