The Hypocrisy of Electric Vehicles

There is also an income restriction which would probably hit most of us ballers living in Irvine.

But again, none of this comes into effect until this is signed and after 12/31/22.

As for the Toyota Rav4Prime, they may be mixing that up with the fact that Toyota sold over the 200k vehicles threshold and under the old $7500 Fed credit program, will be phased out.

irvinehomeowner said:
There is also an income restriction which would probably hit most of us ballers living in Irvine.

But again, none of this comes into effect until this is signed and after 12/31/22.

As for the Toyota Rav4Prime, they may be mixing that up with the fact that Toyota sold over the 200k vehicles threshold and under the old $7500 Fed credit program, will be phased out.

Right.

The new restrictions on the $7,500 rebate for the manufacturers that haven't been phased out yet won't go into effect until 2023. So Martin's Porsche and my Mach-E won't be affected by this.

My Tesla Model 3 (base) will be affected by the new bill since Tesla has been phased out. There are two restrictions, domestic vs. foreign and also income ($150k for individuals and $300k for couples).

The income restriction will probably affect everyone starting from 2023, so if Martin doesn't get his Porsche this year, he won't qualify.

So I've been reading the proposed bill more (unlike morekaos) and it looks like the "Final Assembly" requirement goes into effect immediately:

? HR 5376 EAS
1 (k) EFFECTIVE DATES.?
2 (1) IN GENERAL.?Except as provided in para3 graphs (2), (3), (4), and (5), the amendments made
4 by this section shall apply to vehicles placed in serv5 ice after December 31, 2022.
6 (2) FINAL ASSEMBLY.?The amendments made
7 by subsection (b) shall apply to vehicles sold after the
8 date of enactment of this Act.
https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/inflation_reduction_act_of_2022.pdf

Page 393-394

This basically means any non-domestic built PHEV/EV would be excluded as soon as the bill is signed... which is stupid as they should make it apply after 12/31/22 like all the other amendments.

So seems like automakers are trying to get buyers to sign binding contracts prior to that so they can still get old credit or new rebate:
https://electrek.co/2022/08/10/if-you-want-an-ev-buy-this-week-rivian-fisker-ev-tax-credits/

This is where I agree with morekaos. the way this was written is stupid. :)

morekaos said:
The Koreans (A favored supplier) already have, taking jobs Americans won?t do  ;D ;D

US Hyundai subsidiary caught using child labour in car part factory in Alabama
A subsidiary for Hyundai in the US state of Alabama has been caught using children as young as 12 to work at a plant that supplies car parts for the Korean carmaker's assembly line.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-23/hyundai-subsidiary-child-labour-alabama/101263680>:D

Ironically, they're building plain old SUVs.

nosuchreality said:
Thank God, Oil, Gold, Palm Oil and Diamonds are such genteel and environmentally friendly operations.  If only we could return to the simpler days of children lubricating gears of running factory machines.

Snowpiercer!!

irvinehomeowner said:
nosuchreality said:
Thank God, Oil, Gold, Palm Oil and Diamonds are such genteel and environmentally friendly operations.  If only we could return to the simpler days of children lubricating gears of running factory machines.

Snowpiercer!!

Extra protein bar for you!

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:
I bought my Tesla Y in JAN of 2022.
Can I get the $7,500 tax credit? 

Nope, that falls under old tax credit timeline and Tesla exhausted their credits a few years ago.

And the new bill limits the MSRP to $55k, so any Tesla other than Model 3 base still won't qualify anyway.

CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

Nope, that falls under old tax credit timeline and Tesla exhausted their credits a few years ago.

And the new bill limits the MSRP to $55k, so any Tesla other than Model 3 base still won't qualify anyway.

It's $55k for cars but $80k for SUVs and trucks, so Model Y would qualify (and most likely the only Tesla that would qualify until Cybertruck if it will ever arrive).  In fact, Model 3 RWD won't qualify since the LFP battery is Made in China

Well the manufacturers seem to have read the bill?and they come to the same conclusion?Unicorns and Rainbows?

Rivian Says Electric Vehicles Won?t Qualify For Tax Credits

Electric-vehicle maker Rivian Automotive (RIVN) says that many of its models won?t qualify for
new U.S. tax credits.

The Irvine, California-based company said that its R1 series of electric pick-up trucks and SUVs
is not likely to benefit from tax incentives in the new U.S. energy and climate bill that was
passed by the American Senate earlier this week.

Eventually, most buyers of EVs won't need any incentives.

GM and Tesla have been out of credits for years yet they sell their EVs like crazy.

The Model Y is on track to become the best selling car... not just EV... but car (including ICE) in the world:
https://screenrant.com/tesla-model-y-worlds-best-selling-vehicle-2023-musk/

And the 2023 Chevy Bolt is one of the most affordable over 200mi range EVs... where as the standard range Leaf can be had for less than $25k with the current Fed credit.

EVs are already here... way past unicron/rainbow wishing.

Running to the IE to deal with the rental is $20 in gas a day and $20 in tolls.

I could choose to sit on the 91/15 for an extra hour or more and save $20.

$20/day in gas and $100 tank fills start to register for most people.  Been seeing the pickups swiping twice to fill their tanks.

linus said:
CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

It's $55k for cars but $80k for SUVs and trucks, so Model Y would qualify (and most likely the only Tesla that would qualify until Cybertruck if it will ever arrive).  In fact, Model 3 RWD won't qualify since the LFP battery is Made in China

Only qualify for $7,500 if buyers have income of $150k single or $300k couple or less.  These democrat jackasses always manage to screw up Irvine middle class. 😤

Danimal said:
linus said:
CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

Only qualify for $7,500 if buyers have income of $150k single or $300k couple or less.  These democrat jackasses always manage to screw up Irvine middle class. 😤

The income cutoff is too low. Should be $250k for single or $500k for couples, at the least. Middle class is screwed by both parties. Democrats only care about the poor and Republicans about the rich.

Danimal said:

CalBears96 said:
The income cutoff is too low. Should be $250k for single or $500k for couples, at the least. Middle class is screwed by both parties. Democrats only care about the poor and Republicans about the rich.

Why on earth does a couple making more than $300K a year need a tax credit to buy an EV? I'm not even going to talk about the $500K number...

Here we are subsidizing a bunch of car makers that have 0 incentives to start making affordable EVs...I wish they kept the limit per models to 200K and they capped the MSRP limit harder like the California CVRP.

marmott said:
Danimal said:

CalBears96 said:

Why on earth does a couple making more than $300K a year need a tax credit to buy an EV? I'm not even going to talk about the $500K number...

Here we are subsidizing a bunch of car makers that have 0 incentives to start making affordable EVs...I wish they kept the limit per models to 200K and they capped the MSRP limit harder like the California CVRP.

You may have a point of if you were talking about a couple living in Kansas.  What does $300k a year get you in OC or SV?

Hypocrites have derailed the thread into a giddy "Government gimme" discussion.  Nobody cares that Teslas are the most unreliable car in America.  Nobody cares that they're dependent on fossil fuel burning power plants. 
In California, they're status symbols feigning, pretending, "I've got more money than you and I CARE about the environment more too."

EVs are here regardless of this bill.. but this bill is kinda whack - the rules are pretty convoluted on what will actually qualify in 2023 - I guess we?ll find out soon.

Back