Tesla Model Y

for me, from the driver's side, left hand, press with thumb on the wide part, grab the skinny part with the rest of your hand... from the passenger side use right hand.

But you can do it with either hand facing your palm up or down depending on which side... this video shows you 3 different ways with a left and right handed version:
https://youtu.be/uNKQY0fs_cg

Ok I watched the video. A man's hand is used in the demo. That's why all the methods work for him. His hand is long enough. In all but the last method, you have to have a long enough hand to keep the button area pressed while grabbing the handle or the frame. My problem is I can press the wide part but as soon as the handle pops out and I spread my fingers out to reach the skinny part, I can't grab the handle without letting go of the part you have to keep pressed because it's too far away or maybe too awkward so then it automatically retracts the handle. It's a fight. I try over and over again every time I get in the car. I really miss regular door handles. Even just a vertical pop-out design would have been easier because it could be used by any type of hand, from any direction.

I will try that other method in the video of grabbing the frame while pressing the wide part but I think it's the same distance away from the button as the skinny handle. I'll have to check next time I get in the car. If that doesn't work, I'll try popping the door if possible like he showed at the end. In the video, he's on a level surface. When I'm on an incline at all, gravity goes to work and it's going to close. These doors are heavy.

I've never opened a Tesla door, but I've seen the handles on parked cars and wondered how they worked.  My first thought was exactly right, apparently, but I thought, "nah, that would be too cumbersome.  Must be a better way than that".  So with zero actual experience, I agree with you Socal.  Plus it seems like it would be hard to do without smudging the paint with handprints.

I just heard that Tesla has adjusted the spring tension on the handles. A friend just got a brand new model 3 a couple months ago. It's a noticeable difference. Still an awkward angle. But much easier to open. That's promising!

SoCal said:
Ok I watched the video. A man's hand is used in the demo. That's why all the methods work for him. His hand is long enough. In all but the last method, you have to have a long enough hand to keep the button area pressed while grabbing the handle or the frame. My problem is I can press the wide part but as soon as the handle pops out and I spread my fingers out to reach the skinny part, I can't grab the handle without letting go of the part you have to keep pressed because it's too far away or maybe too awkward so then it automatically retracts the handle. It's a fight. I try over and over again every time I get in the car. I really miss regular door handles. Even just a vertical pop-out design would have been easier because it could be used by any type of hand, from any direction.

I will try that other method in the video of grabbing the frame while pressing the wide part but I think it's the same distance away from the button as the skinny handle. I'll have to check next time I get in the car. If that doesn't work, I'll try popping the door if possible like he showed at the end. In the video, he's on a level surface. When I'm on an incline at all, gravity goes to work and it's going to close. These doors are heavy.

Hah... just went over these methods with the boss... the other problem is finger nails and finger/hand strength.

Some things us animals just take for granted.

My bad.

Back