Tesla Model Y

paperboyNC said:
best_potsticker_in_town said:
I get about 280 wh/mile. I drive on "chill" mode, which is plenty fast for me. Range isn't as good on those 90+ degree days as you're running AC more constantly.

I hired an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet, and it was $300.

That's a good price. Every electrician is quoting me $1000+. Who did you use?

A guy from the company Irvine Pacific uses for their new construction. He does work on the side. PM me if you need his contact info.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
I get about 280 wh/mile. I drive on "chill" mode, which is plenty fast for me. Range isn't as good on those 90+ degree days as you're running AC more constantly.

I hired an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet, and it was $300.

Once u tint the roof/windshield the wh/drops significantly. My ac is usually at 1 all day now. Used to be around 330, now down to 280 or less with very brisk driving

Anybody thinking about
https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/microbus

id-buzz-concept-large-6499-1583429517.jpg

I like the VW Mini bus interior and new technologies.  But what we have seen is the prototype and I have concerns about what the final product will look like.  Pricing is also a concern.

If the VW Mini bus is priced at $40,000 (base), it'd be very attractive at only $7000-$8000 over the Honda Odyssey ($33k) and Toyota Sienna ($32K) base models.  The new Sienna minivan lineup is all hybrid and gets 33 mpg, which is quite attractive.

The VW Mini Bus is also a $40k (?) gamble on v1.0 product, versus Honda and Toyota minivans are mature technology.

Compressed-Village said:
Quality of the Y is documented with horrible workmanship.

Can?t expect perfection when working in tarp and amid pandemic.

Yeah when I got mine in June, I had several fit/finish issues that they had to fix. It has spent 8 days (across two separate visits) at their service centers in Santa Ana and Costa Mesa. There were about 20 items they needed to fix. They've fixed all of them but they created a couple of issues that require adjustment. Mobile service will be at my house tomorrow to tidy things up.

Only crappy thing is they used to give loaners but stopped doing it (for COVID reasons, apparently). Now they issue you a $100/day Uber credit. I elected to use Uber Black...not bad, but would never pay for it out of my own pocket.

Compressed-Village said:
Quality of the Y is documented with horrible workmanship.

Can?t expect perfection when working in tarp and amid pandemic.

mine had a few paint chips, extra headliner fabric that needed to be trimmed back, missing clasps in one of the wheel well.

the headlights were also not 100% straight but i decided to forego them trying to fix that because i didn't want to risk them causing more issues.

They can do a good job on the paint chips. Santa Ana service center is also a collision body shop. They repainted my hood and front fender and did a good job. They left the "T" emblem off...so I need to get that placed back on.

So for 40-60k, you need to send the car back to the shop with no loaner within days of receiving it.  And some still have issues they will live with that they don't want the company that made their car to fix since they have no confidence in them...that's a huge compromise.  I never wanted a Tesla, but after reading this if my wife wants one, I'm going to convince her not to. 

For EV, it?s all about battery and comforts.

The comforts is gone with many of these errors that you can see, what about components that you can?t see.

The battery range is questionable too. I am not going to put 60K on a car that constant in questions.

Guess I just have to have more competition comes online.

With all these problems, the Y is still the best game in town.  Who's gonna kick them off the hill?

Unfortunately it seems that Tesla's quality control is still not up to par.  Sad because if they can get their QC in check, their cars would be objectively better in many characteristics, but the QC is holding them back.

I took delivery of an early RWD Model 3 in 2018 (which I'm selling now), and the entire rear bumper had to be repainted because the paint matching was obviously off.  Also had some small issues pop up here and there, but these issues PALE in comparison to how comfortable/convenient/safe the car is. 

For those who are worried about range, the worry is real but HEAVILY dependent on your driving style and road conditions.  I've gotten less than 150 miles from a full charge while also getting nearly 330 miles from a full charge (which is more than the advertised range).  It's all about your driving skills and awareness to make the most out out of the battery pack.  On an average drive of 10-15 miles to run errands locally, I don't even use the brake pedal as you can 1-pedal drive a handful of EVs, further improving range.  You can't just learn to drive EVs this way quickly, as it takes time and patience to get a feel for the brake regen, In the end, the payoff is worth it as the cost of ownership has been pretty good so far. 

What the combustion vehicle did to horse & buggies, EVs will do to gas/diesel cars. 

There are pictures of a giant outdoor tent(s) at the Fremont facility. (Some news sites speculates that is an assembly line. Idk Also, the rumor to push cars out to meet the output goal. What do you expect regarding the quality?)

id_rather_be_racing said:
Unfortunately it seems that Tesla's quality control is still not up to par.  Sad because if they can get their QC in check, their cars would be objectively better in many characteristics, but the QC is holding them back.

I took delivery of an early RWD Model 3 in 2018 (which I'm selling now), and the entire rear bumper had to be repainted because the paint matching was obviously off.  Also had some small issues pop up here and there, but these issues PALE in comparison to how comfortable/convenient/safe the car is. 

For those who are worried about range, the worry is real but HEAVILY dependent on your driving style and road conditions.  I've gotten less than 150 miles from a full charge while also getting nearly 330 miles from a full charge (which is more than the advertised range).  It's all about your driving skills and awareness to make the most out out of the battery pack.  On an average drive of 10-15 miles to run errands locally, I don't even use the brake pedal as you can 1-pedal drive a handful of EVs, further improving range.  You can't just learn to drive EVs this way quickly, as it takes time and patience to get a feel for the brake regen, In the end, the payoff is worth it as the cost of ownership has been pretty good so far. 

What the combustion vehicle did to horse & buggies, EVs will do to gas/diesel cars.

akkord said:
So for 40-60k, you need to send the car back to the shop with no loaner within days of receiving it.  And some still have issues they will live with that they don't want the company that made their car to fix since they have no confidence in them...that's a huge compromise.  I never wanted a Tesla, but after reading this if my wife wants one, I'm going to convince her not to.

i agree, it's crazy. at first i looked into the audi e-tron, but tesla is the leader in all things ev - nobody even comes close. i've been on the sidelines for a while due to their qc issues, but with their solar pricing dropping so much it just felt like the right time to make the leap.  and despite the qc issues, the car is a amazing to drive and i have no regrets whatsoever.

I'll be enjoying my horse & buggy last Porsche GT combustion vehicles until they outlaw driving them.  :p

USCTrojanCPA said:

I'll be enjoying my horse & buggy last Porsche GT combustion vehicles until they outlaw driving them.  :p

Haha, you know damn well I will too!  :p  I'll always need in a manual lightweight NA in my life  8)

So I get Tesla has the greatest EV range...is anyone driving 250+ miles per day these days?  If your answer is yes, the Tesla is for you, but if you're averaging 50-100 miles / day do you need a 300 mile range car?  I think a van would be more suitable for roadtrips/more comfortable, or a RV if going cross country.  Most families probably rent a van for road trips too to prevent wear and tear on their own cars.

I personally drove an average of 15-20 miles per day on weekdays on the HIGH end if not a lot less prior to the pandemic, wife about the same on weekdays and the occasional LA or SD trip would be 125-175 on weekends.  I filled up on gas once or twice a month just to top off, with an EV 100 range would be more than enough for me, but 200 would be nice. I filled up gas 3x since March since we use my wife's car for family driving.  With the world changing and more companies pivot to WFH and reducing office space to save $ we'll probably drive even less post pandemic.  Both my wife and I are WFH until 2021 at the earliest with more flexible WFH after that.  I probably will get an EV in 1-3 yrs, hopefully more competition by then. 

akkord said:
So I get Tesla has the greatest EV range...is anyone driving 250+ miles per day these days?  If your answer is yes, the Tesla is for you, but if you're averaging 50-100 miles / day do you need a 300 mile range car?  I think a van would be more suitable for roadtrips/more comfortable, or a RV if going cross country.  Most families probably rent a van for road trips too to prevent wear and tear on their own cars.

I personally drove an average of 15-20 miles per day on weekdays on the HIGH end if not a lot less prior to the pandemic, wife about the same on weekdays and the occasional LA or SD trip would be 125-175 on weekends.  I filled up on gas once or twice a month just to top off, with an EV 100 range would be more than enough for me, but 200 would be nice. I filled up gas 3x since March since we use my wife's car for family driving.  With the world changing and more companies pivot to WFH and reducing office space to save $ we'll probably drive even less post pandemic.  Both my wife and I are WFH until 2021 at the earliest with more flexible WFH after that.  I probably will get an EV in 1-3 yrs, hopefully more competition by then.

Regarding range, no one ever complains having too much, it?s not a must, but a nice to have thing, it?s like filling up a gas car once a month instead of two. 

When you have larger capacity, you can charge more before it slows down towards the last 5-10% of max.  Also, if you only have 20% left on Tesla, some of the functions aren?t available such as sentry mode, turning AC remotely, etc

Like others have said Tesla has a significant lead over competitors, that I wouldn?t consider anything else for full ev for at least another 5 years.

So you're saying you don't charge your car everyday at home?  I get gas, you have to go out and get it, Costco gas lines suck etc. but if you have an EV aren't you charging it at home every night/day?  You can still stay in that sweet spot of 20-80% or whatever it is to prolong the battery right?  If you're driving more than that sweet spot to keep the battery lasting a long time, then yes get a Tesla.  How many miles are you driving a day?  QA is more important than than range for me...also I think there was a study, maybe 90% of people drive less than 50miles a day IIRC, too lazy to google it. 

AW said:
akkord said:

Regarding range, no one ever complains having too much, it?s not a must, but a nice to have thing, it?s like filling up a gas car once a month instead of two. 

When you have larger capacity, you can charge more before it slows down towards the last 5-10% of max.  Also, if you only have 20% left on Tesla, some of the functions aren?t available such as sentry mode, turning AC remotely, etc

Like others have said Tesla has a significant lead over competitors, that I wouldn?t consider anything else for full ev for at least another 5 years.

Back