Tarriffs/Trade War

CNBC article: Jamie Dimon warns US-China trade fight becoming a 'real issue' that could deter investment

Dimon said that the trade dispute is a "real issue" that could damage corporate confidence.

"Trade has gone from being a skirmish to being far more important than that," Dimon said. "If this goes south in a bad way, and you have other surprises, that could be part of the thing that changes confidence, changes peoples' willingness to invest."

"You're already starting to see businesses starting to think about moving their supply lines," Dimon said. "That can obviously slow down business investment and cause uncertainty of all different types."

The U.S.-China trade dispute, which has been simmering for the past year, took a turn for the worse this month after President Donald Trump announced he was boosting tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods to 25% from 10%. The news roiled global stock markets as China responded with its own heightened tariffs.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/28/jam...a-real-issue-that-could-deter-investment.html

My comment: If you don?t believe me regarding the impact of tariffs. Just look what Jaime Dimon says about it.

I agree ? Tariffs wars go beyond the piddly tariff % times imports etc . It is already causing an industrial? recession  globally .

You know it?s bad news cycle for trump when the MAGA swamp is quiet on this forum .  Otherwise they are jumping up and down polluting the ?recent posts? link

Anyone wonder why the biggest snowflake in the world got triggered by an aircraft carrier bearing John McCain s name

fortune11 said:
I agree ? Tariffs wars go beyond the piddly tariff % times imports etc . It is already causing an industrial? recession  globally .

You know it?s bad news cycle for trump when the MAGA swamp is quiet on this forum .  Otherwise they are jumping up and down polluting the ?recent posts? link

Anyone wonder why the biggest snowflake in the world got triggered by an aircraft carrier bearing John McCain s name

The John S. McCain (DDG-56) is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, not a Nimitz-class supercarrier like the George H.W. Bush (CVN-77).

fortune11 said:

?Amid USS McCain controversy, Pentagon says military will not be politicized

(Reuters) - The Pentagon has told the White House that the U.S. military will not be politicized, a U.S. official said on Sunday, in response to a controversy after officials directed the United States Navy to keep the USS John S. McCain out of sight during a recent speech by President Donald Trump in Japan.

The White House military office directed the U.S. Navy's Seventh Fleet to minimize the visibility of the USS John S. McCain, a warship bearing the name of Trump's former political rival, during the president's speech last week.?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ilitary-will-not-be-politicized-idUSKCN1T30BZ

It just gets better and better. Too funny. The rumor is that that they put a tarp over the name USS McCain ship and then parked a barge to block the name.

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

(Reuters) - The Pentagon has told the White House that the U.S. military will not be politicized, a U.S. official said on Sunday, in response to a controversy after officials directed the United States Navy to keep the USS John S. McCain out of sight during a recent speech by President Donald Trump in Japan.

The White House military office directed the U.S. Navy's Seventh Fleet to minimize the visibility of the USS John S. McCain, a warship bearing the name of Trump's former political rival, during the president's speech last week.?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ilitary-will-not-be-politicized-idUSKCN1T30BZ

It just gets better and better. Too funny. The rumor is that that they put a tarp over the name USS McCain ship and then parked a barge to block the name.

What Trump and Trumpster don?t understand about the trade war is that Mainland China can and had stand hardships all of their lives. They have prepped their citizen for the long road ahead of economic down turn. Keep in mind that they can live on a dollar or less a day. While we the American have gotten use to or can not withstand a long drawn out down turn. The many farmers that voted for Trump already voice their displeasures even with the dual life line total more than 24 billions plus. American doesn?t know how to live frugally compare to the China - Chinese. Trump had no choice but to call the recent G20 meeting cease fire. He lost a lot of allies and they are pissed and not going along with his chimpanzee styles. So who will win? Endurance. And the Chinese are better at it.

In the next debates for the Democratic nominee, someone needs to ask the hopefuls if they would keep the Trump Tariffs on China.

Compressed-Village said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

What Trump and Trumpster don?t understand about the trade war is that Mainland China can and had stand hardships all of their lives. They have prepped their citizen for the long road ahead of economic down turn. Keep in mind that they can live on a dollar or less a day. While we the American have gotten use to or can not withstand a long drawn out down turn. The many farmers that voted for Trump already voice their displeasures even with the dual life line total more than 24 billions plus. American doesn?t know how to live frugally compare to the China - Chinese. Trump had no choice but to call the recent G20 meeting cease fire. He lost a lot of allies and they are pissed and not going along with his chimpanzee styles. So who will win? Endurance. And the Chinese are better at it.
It's not that mainland Chinese can stand hardship, it is the Communist Party does not allow people to complain about hardship. Complainers get sent to real concentration camps, not AOC's imaginary ones.

Happiness said:
Compressed-Village said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

It's not that mainland Chinese can stand hardship, it is the Communist Party does not allow people to complain about hardship. Complainers get sent to real concentration camps, not AOC's imaginary ones.

So that is my exact points. They?re still a communist country. And government over people. And Chinese government will dictate what they need to do to win.

for all of trump's bluster, US has really gained nothing so far just created a whole lot of noise in trade war w china

if there is a time to take on china, it is now as opposed to 20 years from now when they will have become too big to control. 

trumps in his buffoonery and a desire to goose up the stock market at any cost is giving the store away and focusing on the wrong things (tariffs) and in the process, causing a global industrial recession.

TPP (trans pacific partnership) was developed precisely to address china and in his infinite wisdom to undo everything obama wanted, trump dis banded it

fortune11 said:
for all of trump's bluster, US has really gained nothing so far just created a whole lot of noise in trade war w china

if there is a time to take on china, it is now as opposed to 20 years from now when they will have become too big to control. 

trumps in his buffoonery and a desire to goose up the stock market at any cost is giving the store away and focusing on the wrong things (tariffs) and in the process, causing a global industrial recession.

TPP (trans pacific partnership) was developed precisely to address china and in his infinite wisdom to undo everything obama wanted, trump dis banded it

I could not agree agree more. Yes, do take on China, we gonna need a coalition of countries and allies to bring them to focus. All that he doing is raise the cost of every American purchase goods, and making our paycheck smaller from the rise in costs. China hurts, somewhat, American will hurt more.

@Fortune, where have you been? Hopes all is well with you.

Prior to Tienanmen Square protests in 6/89, China had experienced a decade of high inflation as result of Deng's reforms and lifting of price controls.  Between 1978 to 1986 food prices increased 77% total, and in 1988-1989 the overall inflation rate was 18%.  Without elections to serve as steam pressure release it eventually boiled over.  The students in the square were bunch of naive idealists, but the real battle was fought outside by the workers who were done with enduring hardships.

In theory if you want to maintain the status quo where tycoons in a territory control the wealth and the people have very limited socioeconomic mobility, you need elections to serve as steam pressure release where politicians make big promises and superficial changes to placate the populace until the next election.  You can only point to the lucky/privileged few and claim "by the sweat of your brow" for so long before people realize the rat race/running wheel scam and demand changes.

As for TPP, that was a black box operation where negotiations were conducted without labor representative observers.  Politicians should not be allowed to operate in that manner.

On economic competition with China, it'll be a continuous and ever shifting temporary state of winning and losing as both countries utilize its resources and influences to push others to align with their interests.  Smaller shrimps not in danger of being invaded have the luxury to straddle 2 boats, while those unfortunate enough to suffer the tyranny of geography have fewer choices.

Compressed-Village said:
fortune11 said:

I could not agree agree more. Yes, do take on China, we gonna need a coalition of countries and allies to bring them to focus. All that he doing is raise the cost of every American purchase goods, and making our paycheck smaller from the rise in costs. China hurts, somewhat, American will hurt more.

@Fortune, where have you been? Hopes all is well with you.

It's summer :)  ...  I do check in once in a while ! 

In 20 years, China will have population growth that has flat-lined and started to decline slightly, combined with rapid increases in the number of non-working elderly citizens.  After 2040, the Chinese population will start to decline pretty rapidly. 

How does that factor into their world domination plans?  How do they maintain the GDP growth needed to be a world superpower?

Liar Loan said:
In 20 years, China will have population growth that has flat-lined and started to decline slightly, combined with rapid increases in the number of non-working elderly citizens.  After 2040, the Chinese population will start to decline pretty rapidly. 

How does that factor into their world domination plans?  How do they maintain the GDP growth needed to be a world superpower?

man, china even steals our aging population plans!

Don?t worry guys, according to your boss we just need Sherman tanks parading on the street to assert our global dominance

I would rather have Sherman tanks parading in Washington than rolling into Syria, Iran, or Venezuela.

Liar Loan said:
I would rather have Sherman tanks parading in Washington than rolling into Syria, Iran, or Venezuela.

Ah hah. Kind of weak. Iran has been attacking friendly nation oil tankers and other things. (Last time I checked. Oil is a national security issue.) In addition, Iran has shot down a US drone for no reason. That costs American tax payers $100 million plus. Send them an invoice for our drone. Trump did nothing to retaliate.

Give me a big break.

eyephone said:
Liar Loan said:

Ah hah. Kind of weak. Iran has been attacking friendly nation oil tankers and other things. (Last time I checked. Oil is a national security issue.) In addition, Iran has shot down a US drone for no reason. That costs American tax payers $100 million plus. Send them an invoice for our drone. Trump did nothing to retaliate.

Give me a big break.

I think Trump's response was one of the most mature acts of any President in our lifetimes.

Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
Liar Loan said:

Give me a big break.

I think Trump's response was one of the most mature acts of any President in our lifetimes.
Yeah right with this response.

'MAKE IRAN GREAT AGAIN?
https://www.newsweek.com/make-iran-...ran-if-country-agrees-nuclear-demands-1445380

That was a trick question , you genius

US army hasn?t used the Sherman tanks since ages ago

Anyway - when trump takes over as president for life , convince yourself that ?at least it is not a democrat? 

Back