Surviving 2009

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1250669875]RC,

You have a gift of communication where your close friends and acquaintance could open themselves up to you. Their testimonies are all real. Most people would reply to others like "How are you?" by saying just "fine".

You should feel blessed that others people are genuinely honest and truthful to you and that is rare.

True friends are when you need help they are there for you and you are there for them emotionally and financially.

Now can I ask you for $20,000 to help me with my mortgage?

Everyone should ask themselves this question whether there will still be friends out there willing to lend this money or vice versa lending money to other.</blockquote>

RC has an admirable gift. I do NOT have the gift of communication. My best friend from college "came out" (of the closet) to me and I was just speechless, the only thought in my mind was, why are you telling this to me, you should have told someone else and let me find out though the grapevine rather than put me in this awkward situation. I have equal difficulty when people tell me of death and other tragedies.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1250682488]

<strong>Why does he allow all of these negative things to happen? </strong>

</blockquote>
Regardless of whether you believe in [g|G]od(s) or not... it's not about "allowing" bad things to happen... we wouldn't have free will otherwise. I don't feel negative things happen because of [g|G]od(s)... they happen because of man, that's universal regardless of religion.

Personally, without hard times, we would not appreciated the good times... it's the whole Yin/Yang thing and without it... life would be... boring.

<blockquote>

It seems like the smarter folks are or the more money they make, the less they seem to believe (just my observations).</blockquote>
That's interesting, in my circle a friends I find that the opposite. The more successful they become, the more they believe.

Last night I engaged in conversation with one of the "busboys" at Souplantation. I always remember him because he is ALWAYS smiling... and always goes out of his way to do things for you. He also works at IHOP on the weekends, where he is also smiling and working hard. So I joked around with him last night and asked him if he works some other place too... and unexpectedly, he said he also works at Subway 5 days a week. This guy works THREE jobs... day and night, 7 days a week and yet is always upbeat and happy. I greatly admire him and would hope that my kids are able to have his kind of work ethic and pride in his job(s).

We just need to live our lives and stay as positive as we can... because it works both ways.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1250692397]Qwerty - Your post contains a lot of different topics and deserves a better reply than I could possibly post here in a text box. I have to be up for work in 5 hours and although I know you were not addressing me specifically, I did not feel right going to bed and having you feel like you are being ignored in case you are facing some hard times. So, I hope you will forgive me, but instead of typing out, I will post some links you might find useful, if you would like to listen to them. (Audio recordings)

Just a few notes:

<em>Why does he allow all of these negative things to happen?</em>:

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/thanksgiving-113008.mp3">Living thankfully in thankless times.</a>

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/jitr/022507_JITR8.mp3">The hope in suffering</a>

<em>...the smarter folks are or the more money they make, the less they seem to believe...</em>:

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/jitr/020407_JITR5.mp3"> A costly calling</a>

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/jitr/031107_JITR10.mp3"> The cost of discipleship</a>

For reference or ease of use... these links were taken from <a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/index-4.html">this page</a> and <a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/message_archive.html">this one.</a> If the topics above are not the info you are looking for, you may find something else on those pages. If you prefer webcasts, you can find some <a href="http://www.harvest.org/church/index.php/10/47/6.html#">here.</a>

I sense the underlying meaning in your post has less to do with wanting an answer to that one question and more to do with apologetics. I would understand as I have been in that place and had to make a concerted effort to get evidence before I could believe a single thing. That is something that will take effort on your part to study historical, philosophical, and other aspects. There are a lot of resources available to you if you would like them. And with that, I wish you all a good night... err, morning!</blockquote>

Thanks for caring, but it was just a random thought i had. My life is actually as good as it can be, well except that i dont look the way i did in college anymore, but im working on that. My wife and i have our health, we have very good jobs and promising careers/future, and our babies (dogs), we really couldnt be much happier at this point in our lives. With all of the bad things happening around us, i feel fortunate to be in the position we are in. After reading Cacy's comment about religion i was just curious why people believed in the religion(s) they do.

Again, thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Wow, I?m again so thankful at the responses and where this conversation is going; like so many of these events, we don?t know how God is working for his greater purpose. I want to encourage those of you asking faith based questions for it is times like these where we examine life and a greater meaning to it all.

We all know this world is seemly chaotic, random and not what it was meant to be; however for many it is only when we see this world through a Judeo-Christian world-view that we can start to make sense of God?s sovereign will.

There are a lot of great resources out there. The age old question goes something like this: Why do bad things happen to good people; and the recently revised, why does God allow bad things to happen to good people. You can google these phrases along with the names of Frank Pastore, my favorite Christian talk radio host and Greg Laure, the pastor of Harvest Church and his renowned Harvest Crusades.

The very short answer goes something like this: Bad things happen because we live in a fallen world, where sin and evil exists. All of creation was design to be a paradise, this place was never meant to harm, hurt or kill us. Our bodies were never designed to break-down or die. But since the entrance of sin, through free will, because true love can not exist without free will; sin has corrupted this environment and now we suffer. A good read is C.S. Lewis? - The Problem of Pain. But the story doesn?t end there; God has made a way through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ so that he has reconciled us back to him. Where by through our sufferings we might draw closer to Him; be comforted by our maker and be able to minister to other with first hand experience. For it is only through Christ we have ultimate hope. For He has conquered death and whatever happens here on earth is only temporary and we will be reunited with Him and our love ones in heaven.

All of these answers, answer the theological question, but they all do very little to comfort those who are suffering. For in the list of events, I have to say about 90% of those people are faithful Christians. On an emotional level, even long time believer have a hard time explaining why certain things happen; and along with anyone we certainly all feel deep pain and hurt from the tragedies of the world. For you can?t answer emotional pain with a rational-theological explanation. We simply have to meet emotions with emotions; we cry with those who are suffering, we simply are called to love, listen and serve those who hurt.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1250737935]Wow, I?m again so thankful at the responses and where this conversation is going; like so many of these events, we don?t know how God is working for his greater purpose. I want to encourage those of you asking faith based questions for it is times like these where we examine life and a greater meaning to it all.

We all know this world is seemly chaotic, random and not what it was meant to be; however for many it is only when we see this world through a Judeo-Christian world-view that we can start to make sense of God?s sovereign will.</blockquote>

Really? Gawd... am I really going to get into the discussion of religion... I just pointed out in this thread that I am a "non-believer" and how I am happy, despite the crap that comes with LIFE. Is it because I don't ask "faith" based questions why you have never directly ever responded to any of my posts in your "faith" based posts? Is that the reason why you didn't directly address Cayci's post? Is this the reason why you have a bias towards people of your "faith" and why you have thanked people like SoCal78 (sorry to bring you into this) 7 times more than me and 5 times more that me and Cayci combined, even though we have contributed to many of your threads? Let me guess... you will say: "See... I can tell you really aren't happy by the anger in your posts. I can see the true you." Because you know gawd better, and because you know me better because you know gawd and I don't. Right? As you can tell, I am used to the rhetoric.

<blockquote>There are a lot of great resources out there. The age old question goes something like this: Why do bad things happen to good people; and the recently revised, why does God allow bad things to happen to good people. You can google these phrases along with the names of Frank Pastore, my favorite Christian talk radio host and Greg Laure, the pastor of Harvest Church and his renowned Harvest Crusades.</blockquote>

The Puritans had it a lot worse, but they were the most faithful, and sh*t still happened. Bad things happen to good people, because that is life. Gawd doesn't allow it, it just happens, because we are humans, and humans can get cancer, whether you are a death row serial killer or faithful church going believer. BTW, I have had the unfortunate experience to deal with Greg Laurie outside of his church, and since I don't want to crush your opinion of him... I will put it this way, he should practice what he preaches.

<blockquote>The very short answer goes something like this: Bad things happen because we live in a fallen world, where sin and evil exists. All of creation was design to be a paradise, this place was never meant to harm, hurt or kill us. Our bodies were never designed to break-down or die. But since the entrance of sin, through free will, because true love can not exist without free will; sin has corrupted this environment and now we suffer. A good read is C.S. Lewis? - The Problem of Pain. But the story doesn?t end there; God has made a way through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ so that he has reconciled us back to him. Where by through our sufferings we might draw closer to Him; be comforted by our maker and be able to minister to other with first hand experience. For it is only through Christ we have ultimate hope. For He has conquered death and whatever happens here on earth is only temporary and we will be reunited with Him and our love ones in heaven.

All of these answers, answer the theological question, but they all do very little to comfort those who are suffering. For in the list of events, I have to say about 90% of those people are faithful Christians. On an emotional level, even long time believer have a hard time explaining why certain things happen; and along with anyone we certainly all feel deep pain and hurt from the tragedies of the world. For you can?t answer emotional pain with a rational-theological explanation. We simply have to meet emotions with emotions; we cry with those who are suffering, we simply are called to love, listen and serve those who hurt.</blockquote>

What theological question? It isn't hard to explain. It is called LIFE. With life, sh*t happens, and it all comes to an end at some point. Quit dwelling on your problems and the problems of others. Get off your a$$ and do something to make your life better, and do something to actually help someone out when they are down and I mean more than just quoting the bible... and physically do something. Words are just that... words, it is action that produces results.

And... roundcorners... I like you (not love, cuz that is panda like creepy), I have listened to you (not sure if you have listened to me by your lack of responses), and I am serving you by telling it like it is, and encouraging you to put your words into action, because you aren't getting the results you want to see by your words. Less words, more action.

Lastly, I don't have hope through Christ, I have hope through me. If I sit around and post all day on IHB when I can be working, it is my fault, not gawd's. As long as my actions make progress I will make my life better for myself and for others. I will fight to conquer whatever life delivers me, and I will do whatever I can to help others. And, IMO, if there is a gawd who decides who gets into heaven, then he/she will make that decision based upon the actions of my life, not my words. No... I'm not worried if I will get in heaven if I don't accept Christ as my savior, because a true gawd will judge me or you on your actions in life, not because at the last minute you asked for forgiveness. I think of it like applying for a job, and my resume will help me get in. There are too many people bouncing around from job to job (forgiveness after forgiveness when they have sinned), that don't have the resume that I do. Maybe they will have to take the stairs through purgatory, when I get to ride in the express elevator up.

Okay... one more thing... RC, I have been really kind to you, and you have no idea how harsh I really want to be, but you have never directly responded to my posts in OT. I may not be as nice in the future if you don't start responding, or I may just start to ignore you. However... if ignoring you is what you want, then... well... that isn't what your words really say.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1250737935] For you can?t answer emotional pain with a rational-theological explanation. </blockquote>

RC, I typically stay out of these religious discussions, because I won't be swayed by anybody's opinions and don't have any interest in converting someone to mine. But I'm curious -- what on earth do you mean by a "rational-theological explanation" for anything??? You can have a rational explanation or you can have a theological explanation. But it's either/or.

"The great trouble with religion ? any religion ? is that a religionist, having accepted certain propositions on faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence. One may bask at the warm fire of faith or choose to live in the bleak uncertainty of reason ? but one cannot have both."

The fictional character Hartley M. Baldwin in <em>Friday</em> by Robert A. Heinlein

BTW, I don't know Graphrix, and I consider him "cranky" in some of his contributions here, but beneath that rough exterior is a very bright individual whose thoughts and opinions I value.

RC,

I was really in a funk until early June and I do attribute it to all the bad news, which filled me with sadness and my own business suffering, which made me feel helpless. I had no choice but to pull out of it and focus more on work otherwise I was going to be one of the stories myself. The difference between empathy and sympathy is your friend is sea sick and throwing up. Do you comfort him/her or do you join him/her and start heaivng yourself? My point is that you can still support your friends without absorbing their pain yourself.

Do what you can to improve your income, but know that 15% isn't going to break you. My income this year is off just about that % and while it means changes to plans, I'm just so grateful that I do have the 85% of 2008. A lot of what you feel comes down to what you focus on. If some things in your life need to change, then you're better of getting resourceful about those things than you are filling yourself with sadness. And there are just some things you have no control over.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1250737935]Wow, I?m again so thankful at the responses and where this conversation is going; like so many of these events, we don?t know how God is working for his greater purpose. I want to encourage those of you asking faith based questions for it is times like these where we examine life and a greater meaning to it all.

We all know this world is seemly chaotic, random and not what it was meant to be; however for many it is only when we see this world through a Judeo-Christian world-view that we can start to make sense of God?s sovereign will.

There are a lot of great resources out there. The age old question goes something like this: Why do bad things happen to good people; and the recently revised, why does God allow bad things to happen to good people. You can google these phrases along with the names of Frank Pastore, my favorite Christian talk radio host and Greg Laure, the pastor of Harvest Church and his renowned Harvest Crusades.

The very short answer goes something like this: Bad things happen because we live in a fallen world, where sin and evil exists. All of creation was design to be a paradise, this place was never meant to harm, hurt or kill us. Our bodies were never designed to break-down or die. But since the entrance of sin, through free will, because true love can not exist without free will; sin has corrupted this environment and now we suffer. A good read is C.S. Lewis? - The Problem of Pain. But the story doesn?t end there; God has made a way through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ so that he has reconciled us back to him. Where by through our sufferings we might draw closer to Him; be comforted by our maker and be able to minister to other with first hand experience. For it is only through Christ we have ultimate hope. For He has conquered death and whatever happens here on earth is only temporary and we will be reunited with Him and our love ones in heaven.

All of these answers, answer the theological question, but they all do very little to comfort those who are suffering. For in the list of events, I have to say about 90% of those people are faithful Christians. On an emotional level, even long time believer have a hard time explaining why certain things happen; and along with anyone we certainly all feel deep pain and hurt from the tragedies of the world. For you can?t answer emotional pain with a rational-theological explanation. We simply have to meet emotions with emotions; we cry with those who are suffering, we simply are called to love, listen and serve those who hurt.</blockquote>

No more preaching please. I am agnostic and as such this offends me.

[quote author="Stuff It" date=1250811289][quote author="roundcorners" date=1250737935]

No more preaching please. I am agnostic and as such this offends me.</blockquote>

Welcome to the death of free speech. If you dont like the thread... skip it. He has the right to discuss his beliefs, even if they are not yours. Would you say something similar to a Muslim? A Buddhist? Anyone else? Im doubtful.

Im pretty sure that the people that run these forums would really like IHB to be a place where people can ask/vent some hard questions/and or feelings and not get flamed for it. I think you're missing the point of RCs post, its not really about being a Christian or any other religion. Its about coping with pain, and the difficult times <strong>many </strong>are going through now. And asking for some support from his fellow human beings. Everyone gets through hard times in their own way.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1250790161][quote author="roundcorners" date=1250737935]Wow, I?m again so thankful at the responses and where this conversation is going; like so many of these events, we don?t know how God is working for his greater purpose. I want to encourage those of you asking faith based questions for it is times like these where we examine life and a greater meaning to it all.

We all know this world is seemly chaotic, random and not what it was meant to be; however for many it is only when we see this world through a Judeo-Christian world-view that we can start to make sense of God?s sovereign will.</blockquote>

Really? Gawd... am I really going to get into the discussion of religion... I just pointed out in this thread that I am a "non-believer" and how I am happy, despite the crap that comes with LIFE. Is it because I don't ask "faith" based questions why you have never directly ever responded to any of my posts in your "faith" based posts? Is that the reason why you didn't directly address Cayci's post? Is this the reason why you have a bias towards people of your "faith" and why you have thanked people like SoCal78 (sorry to bring you into this) 7 times more than me and 5 times more that me and Cayci combined, even though we have contributed to many of your threads? Let me guess... you will say: "See... I can tell you really aren't happy by the anger in your posts. I can see the true you." Because you know gawd better, and because you know me better because you know gawd and I don't. Right? As you can tell, I am used to the rhetoric.

<blockquote>There are a lot of great resources out there. The age old question goes something like this: Why do bad things happen to good people; and the recently revised, why does God allow bad things to happen to good people. You can google these phrases along with the names of Frank Pastore, my favorite Christian talk radio host and Greg Laure, the pastor of Harvest Church and his renowned Harvest Crusades.</blockquote>

The Puritans had it a lot worse, but they were the most faithful, and sh*t still happened. Bad things happen to good people, because that is life. Gawd doesn't allow it, it just happens, because we are humans, and humans can get cancer, whether you are a death row serial killer or faithful church going believer. BTW, I have had the unfortunate experience to deal with Greg Laurie outside of his church, and since I don't want to crush your opinion of him... I will put it this way, he should practice what he preaches.

<blockquote>The very short answer goes something like this: Bad things happen because we live in a fallen world, where sin and evil exists. All of creation was design to be a paradise, this place was never meant to harm, hurt or kill us. Our bodies were never designed to break-down or die. But since the entrance of sin, through free will, because true love can not exist without free will; sin has corrupted this environment and now we suffer. A good read is C.S. Lewis? - The Problem of Pain. But the story doesn?t end there; God has made a way through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ so that he has reconciled us back to him. Where by through our sufferings we might draw closer to Him; be comforted by our maker and be able to minister to other with first hand experience. For it is only through Christ we have ultimate hope. For He has conquered death and whatever happens here on earth is only temporary and we will be reunited with Him and our love ones in heaven.

What theological question? It isn't hard to explain. It is called LIFE. With life, sh*t happens, and it all comes to an end at some point. Quit dwelling on your problems and the problems of others. Get off your a$$ and do something to make your life better, and do something to actually help someone out when they are down and I mean more than just quoting the bible... and physically do something. Words are just that... words, it is action that produces results.

And... roundcorners... I like you (not love, cuz that is panda like creepy), I have listened to you (not sure if you have listened to me by your lack of responses), and I am serving you by telling it like it is, and encouraging you to put your words into action, because you aren't getting the results you want to see by your words. Less words, more action.

Lastly, I don't have hope through Christ, I have hope through me. If I sit around and post all day on IHB when I can be working, it is my fault, not gawd's. As long as my actions make progress I will make my life better for myself and for others. I will fight to conquer whatever life delivers me, and I will do whatever I can to help others. And, IMO, if there is a gawd who decides who gets into heaven, then he/she will make that decision based upon the actions of my life, not my words. No... I'm not worried if I will get in heaven if I don't accept Christ as my savior, because a true gawd will judge me or you on your actions in life, not because at the last minute you asked for forgiveness. I think of it like applying for a job, and my resume will help me get in. There are too many people bouncing around from job to job (forgiveness after forgiveness when they have sinned), that don't have the resume that I do. Maybe they will have to take the stairs through purgatory, when I get to ride in the express elevator up.

Okay... one more thing... RC, I have been really kind to you, and you have no idea how harsh I really want to be, but you have never directly responded to my posts in OT. I may not be as nice in the future if you don't start responding, or I may just start to ignore you. However... if ignoring you is what you want, then... well... that isn't what your words really say.</blockquote>

Graph... despite what it may appear, I really am trying to limit my IHB consumption for about an hour and a half a day! With the baby, wife and working! You brought up some really great points... and I do a lot of times want to address them. But they are conversations left up to those old guys you see at coffee shops that have all day to shoot the breeze. You make a LOT of points and I really want to address them all; but each topic is it's own can of worms, especially religion. I really try to walk the line of bringing in my faith without overstepping my boundaries. I started a hard topic and Cayci brought up the subject to faith and someone else brought up the question of, bad things happening to people. In my book, that is my best answer and I'll stick to it. I would like to address each point, at a time. But, you gotta think... a lot, I mean a lot of really smart, academics, philosophers, professors, professionals have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and they are not crazy. They are all around us, you have your world-view, and we have ours. It's how we make sense of this crazy world. With every point you brought up, we also have very logical explanations of how things work. And they are ALL logically, rationally, philosophically, ethically & scientifically consistent. There is Truth, but at the end of the day it still comes down to believing in something you don't see (faith); but something deep down inside you tells you that it's real; the one HUGE impediment to a lot of seekers, and I had a tough time with this one is, whose life is it? Am I the captain of my life? or is God? Do I just do what I want? or do I let God? Then it comes down to, am I going to do what makes me happy or am I going to ask God what to do in critical or trite situations. Most times, we can't let go control, and turn our life over to our maker and therefore we reject God. It?s not an easy thing, this walk, it?s a daily struggle; and it?s not easy giving up control; but it?s what we chose to do. If you have just one or two direct topics or questions; I?ll try to give a direct answer? thanks?

BTW, I have had the unfortunate experience to deal with Greg Laurie outside of his church, and since I don?t want to crush your opinion of him? I will put it this way, he should practice what he preaches.

Graphrix, what unfortunate experience did you have with Greg Laurie outside of his church? I attend his sister chuch, Harvest Bible Chapel here in Chicago. He has a son your age that passed away from a car accident which he still mourns til this day, but he still faithfully preaches the word and walks with the Lord. I had a chance to hear him speak at my last visit to Mariners Church, and he is an incredible speaker.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1250668173]Wow, dude. There is a lot of badness happening around you, and I'm wondering how you got the short end of the "positive" stick.

I'm currently wondering if it has to do with your involvement with your church, and how so many folks choose to find God when they are at their lowest. Keep in mind that you may not have a representative sample in your circle of acquaintences.

Perk up, though. You have plenty to be thankful for.

In a rough patch of my own a wise IHB female said to me "this too shall pass". I now pass that on to you.</blockquote>

Yes, a huge amount of our social circles comes from our Church... These folks already know God and we are all trying to live out our faith everyday. We all try to hear from God at our highest and lowest points; but it?s usually the lowest points that we "feel" his presence the most. We are comforted by our heavenly father, and his love sustains us. The other brothers & sisters sometimes are our "Jesus" with skin on. You can say Christians are a little more sensitive to tragedy and random events as we are constantly wondering and testing out if situations are confirmations to prayers, requests and discerning if it's God's will. Sometimes it's very clear, sometimes it's not. Sometimes we are able to listen well, sometimes we shut Him out.

Along the same lines as the politics section, perhaps IHB Forums should have a separate "Religion" section. I view the politics section as "enter at your own risk" and generally avoid it....And would do the same with a religion section. There are very intelligent people on IHB who also happen to have widely varying views on both politics and religion. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want to hear what everyone here thinks regardless of their beliefs --- but as soon as religion or politics are introduced to the disucssion it only serves to pollute the conversation.

Personally, I could care less what you believe or who you voted for, as long as you can add value to the conversation on the housing market or Irvine and Orange County in general.

I grew up in a pretty religious family. Mostly Catholic. As a god fearing person I can understand having faith. But religion is like anything in this life. Too much of it can be harmful. Times are tough. But trying to "Pray" your way out of a series of events is not time well spent. We are all responsable for our lives. Life is all about free will. When we start putting god in charge of our destiny your going to get yourself in trouble. As a senior aged person that has raised a family and had some success. I find that failure and adversity should be nothing but lessons we learn from. If you don't accept and understand adversity you can never understand and appreciate success in the proper light. Life is an attitude. If you walk around looking at the "bad". Thats all your going to see. Get out and change things.

Talking and Praying are just cheap diversions IMHO.

"It comes down to a simple choice... Get busy living, or get busy dying."

-3rd best book/movie of all time.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

-IR2

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1250819339]"It comes down to a simple choice... Get busy living, or get busy dying."

-3rd best book/movie of all time.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

-IR2</blockquote>

That is my favorite movie. I watched it more than 30 times. I think I figured it out where the oak tree was along the low stone wall. The Irvine Trivia is easy compared to finding the that oak tree somewhere in all of California.

[quote author="CK" date=1250817902]Along the same lines as the politics section, perhaps IHB Forums should have a separate "Religion" section. I view the politics section as "enter at your own risk" and generally avoid it....And would do the same with a religion section. There are very intelligent people on IHB who also happen to have widely varying views on both politics and religion. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want to hear what everyone here thinks regardless of their beliefs --- but as soon as religion or politics are introduced to the disucssion it only serves to pollute the conversation.

Personally, I could care less what you believe or who you voted for, as long as you can add value to the conversation on the housing market or Irvine and Orange County in general.</blockquote>

Conversations on the housing market in Irvine and OC can be found on the Real Estate board in their respective categories. This is a Lifestyle board under the Off Topic / Water Cooler section.

Imho, a blogger's passion (of any kind) is not something you can easily separate from the person. You can not glue two pieces of paper together and pull them apart cleanly. Imo, the nature of this entire site has been "enter at your own risk".

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1250813165][quote author="Stuff It" date=1250811289][quote author="roundcorners" date=1250737935]

No more preaching please. I am agnostic and as such this offends me.</blockquote>

Welcome to the death of free speech. If you dont like the thread... skip it. He has the right to discuss his beliefs, even if they are not yours. Would you say something similar to a Muslim? A Buddhist? Anyone else? Im doubtful.

Im pretty sure that the people that run these forums would really like IHB to be a place where people can ask/vent some hard questions/and or feelings and not get flamed for it. I think you're missing the point of RCs post, its not really about being a Christian or any other religion. Its about coping with pain, and the difficult times <strong>many </strong>are going through now. And asking for some support from his fellow human beings. Everyone gets through hard times in their own way.</blockquote>

If a buddhist/muslim was preaching then I would say the same thing - no doubt there. They may have the same opinion as me and feel that RC is also preaching.

I am a similar opinion as Graphrix - s**t happens. Nothing to do with religion

I am curious as to why people turn to religion - something missing in their lives? Though I dont want to hijack this thread - that has already been done.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1250820076]

Conversations on the housing market in Irvine and OC can be found on the Real Estate board in their respective categories. This is a Lifestyle board under the Off Topic / Water Cooler section.

</blockquote>

I dunno, SoCal. Around the watercooler at the office we talk about all sorts of lifestyle issues --- but Politics and Religion are never a part of those conversations. And on the off event someone less adept at office etiquette does bring up those topics, the crowd will scatter pretty quickly. There is a good reason for that. I've also thought of IHB as almost like a workplace --- or professional society --- the level of knowledge out here is that good. So along those lines --- just like at the workplace --- wedge topics tend to dillute the broader conversation.

Don't get me wrong and think I am saying those discussions don't have merit, its just that they have an appropriate time (and place). Therefore my suggestion of a separate section (like politics) where you can join in if you wish, or not.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1250820076][quote author="CK" date=1250817902]Along the same lines as the politics section, perhaps IHB Forums should have a separate "Religion" section. I view the politics section as "enter at your own risk" and generally avoid it....And would do the same with a religion section. There are very intelligent people on IHB who also happen to have widely varying views on both politics and religion. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I want to hear what everyone here thinks regardless of their beliefs --- but as soon as religion or politics are introduced to the disucssion it only serves to pollute the conversation.

Personally, I could care less what you believe or who you voted for, as long as you can add value to the conversation on the housing market or Irvine and Orange County in general.</blockquote>

Imho, a blogger's passion (of any kind) is not something you can easily separate from the person. You can not glue two pieces of paper together and pull them apart cleanly. Imo, the nature of this entire site has been "enter at your own risk".</blockquote>

IHBers are tuning in regularly not only for the housing related information offered here that educate them to be a smarter and a well informed buyer, seller or homeowners but the facination to learn about personality of the individuals and their drive to be extra ordinary in their ability. We tune in everyday to learn about a few more things about each bloggers.

IR2 for example we know a lot about him as he participated in this forum and he shared with us a part of his life. Trojan is another example. Ihbers are more inclined to acquire their RE service because of their persona.

On the other hand, Irvine Renter as a moderator he is smart to maintain his impartial role. He is extremely private and even after a billion educational posts we still don't know that much about him. IMO, this is the primary reason IHB regulars do not approach IHBroker for RE services and Shevy is way too distant from our daily life.

Back