Surviving 2009

There was this saying I heard from a few practices at the beginning of the year. If you can survive 2009 you can survive anything! The statement is turning out to be more true than not.

I have been a bit quiet lately these past few weeks; I?m still just reeling and processing the seemingly endless turmoil that is raging in and all around us since July.

If it is darkest before dawn; then I?ll make a strong argument that this summer has been the darkest season of the recession. People might have been able to handle the stresses and pressures of the recession up until now, but families we know are starting to break. Some economists think that we are closer to the end than the beginning of the down turn but for some families it won?t be soon enough.

I apologize for starting such a heavy topic but that is exactly where my heart has been. I would come home almost everyday with some form of bad news; and I been finding myself zoning out on conversations, walks and care-taking, heavily weigh down in solemn reverie.

Most of the conversations I have with other dad and guys lately go something like this. They ask me; so um, how is business? I say, slow, just waiting around; trying to hustle when I?m not with the baby. I ask; what are you going to do now? They respond, I don?t know, back to square one! I guess I?m really open to anything? The conversation gets quickly switched back to the kids, or there is an awkward silence or we try to join the wives conversation. The atmosphere of confusion, disorganization is so thick that you can cut it with a knife. This economy is really hitting the guys hard; many head are still spinning after being cut.

I don?t want to just share stories, bitch and complain how bad things are but I really want to see the goodness, hope and inspiration of the anguishing stories I hear of the recession. Many are trying to be positive, many are as confused as ever, and you can just feel that many have just given up as their motivation, industry and career has permanently disappeared.

Below are just some of the stories that I?ve heard lately. Some are economically, some are medically related; but the thread that connect all of them is that people including myself are searching; searching for that greater meaning in the events that are happening, searching for direction and purpose.

My wife?s acquaintance died of a rare tumor at 39.

Close friend is having trouble at her work due to staff lay-offs; she is 43, single and stuck at a dead-end job that is utilizing none of her giftings. The rest of her family in Detroit is also struggling due to the auto industry. She doesn?t feel at home here or there; in her words she feels ?homeless?. She was in tears crying to my wife last night.

A good friend of the person mention above (an acquaintance of ours) just had a double mastectomy this past weekend. Her breast cancer came back and spread to her other breast.

Close friends, husband has been laid-off since May, the might lose their condo. The wives is completely stressed out, the parents are also dumping the responsibilities of short-selling two properties on her.

Pastor of our north OC multi-site had an affair. He immediately confessed to the church and resign.

Another Pastor of another site had an accident that fractured his skill and arm in a motorcycle accident.

Neighbor?s husband came home drunk last (Sunday) night; they argue and shouted loudly in the hallways around 11:30. I wrote before how the police came before to their unit; IPD came again looking for him but he must have fled on foot. They have a four month old.

The mother of our other neighbor with a three month old will be going back to work next week and is dreading it. The husband has been out of work since the baby was born.

A doctor (my client) had her practice ripped off; her staff stole almost $50,000 dollars and now can?t pay our company.

Friend graduated this past spring can?t find work anywhere.

Friend lost his job just under a year there, right from grad-school. They have a four month old along with a three year old. The wife now has to work full time and she doesn't want to.

Cousin lost his job in June has completely lost his direction and motivation in his career. Spoke to him on Sunday, is thinking of going into stocks and securities; I consider myself a novice with the market and I can tell he doesn?t know the first thing about stocks.

Good friends from church were laid-off; this was the third round of cuts.

My car just died today (Monday) I?m waiting for the tow truck as I?m writing.

I have over $150,000 outstanding in A/R, most of which I will be taking to collections or small claims court. I will lose about 15% of my accounts.

This is why it's better to be anti-social because then you would think that everyone is wonderful (providing you don't watch much TV or read the newspaper).

Hang in there. If you have your health and your family, you have everything. When you are 90, that is all from the past that you will care about.

Wow, dude. There is a lot of badness happening around you, and I'm wondering how you got the short end of the "positive" stick.

I'm currently wondering if it has to do with your involvement with your church, and how so many folks choose to find God when they are at their lowest. Keep in mind that you may not have a representative sample in your circle of acquaintences.

Perk up, though. You have plenty to be thankful for.

In a rough patch of my own a wise IHB female said to me "this too shall pass". I now pass that on to you.

Also, as you have a baby in the house ... have you considered whether it is postpartum depression (yes, men can get it too). If you're not sure, go talk to your doctor.

<A href="http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/colic-postpartum-depression-and-fathers/?apage=2">http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/colic-postpartum-depression-and-fathers/?apage=2</A>

RC, I'm a quasi-moderator, so I won't say a lot. But, you know that fire will test the quality of each man's work. Get into 1 Corinthians, Chapter 3. I'm sorry you are feeling down about all this around you but think about how this can draw them closer. I know you know what I mean. Take care.

RC,

You have a gift of communication where your close friends and acquaintance could open themselves up to you. Their testimonies are all real. Most people would reply to others like "How are you?" by saying just "fine".

You should feel blessed that others people are genuinely honest and truthful to you and that is rare.

True friends are when you need help they are there for you and you are there for them emotionally and financially.

Now can I ask you for $20,000 to help me with my mortgage?

Everyone should ask themselves this question whether there will still be friends out there willing to lend this money or vice versa lending money to other.

RC,

Seriously, adding to what BK said.. I think it is a real blessing that your close friends and acquaintances feel safe opening up and being vulnerable with you. Some of my closest married friends whom I've known for over 10 years don't like to share their struggles as they feel too embarrassed by it. You really do have a gift of communication.

RC,

Remember that it is adversity and challenges that build character within people. Since we are all human, even the best of us will have down days where we feel like we've been knocked down over and over again. It's the fact that we can get up faster and stronger each time after we get knocked down that keep us going. Life is tough and you need to be tougher. Be thankful for the positives in your life and try to turn that negative energy into positive energy. I used to live high on the hog during the good old days when each year my income was climbing and I almost felt invincible, but life can have a funny way of humbling you and that is exactly what happened to me when I got laid off. Honestly, getting laid off was a blessing looking back on things now. I was a slave to my job due to my high spending ways and now I feel so free now that I reduced my expenses. A lot of the negatives in life are just noise, you just can't let them get to you. It's all about having good health, family, and friends. Keep your head up.

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1250665423]Hang in there. If you have your health and your family, you have everything. When you are 90, that is all from the past that you will care about.</blockquote>

thanks for the encouragement everyone... just thought I start another <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/5929/">thread </a>that has been on my heart as a response...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune RC.

But let me ask all of you guys a question that was triggered by Cacy's comment about people turning to religion when things start going bad. Let me preface what im about to ask by saying that i am not at all religious, my mom is a hardcore catholic but she never really pushed it on us. So my question is to all of you religious folks is if there was a god or whatever higher being you believe in:

<strong>Why does he allow all of these negative things to happen? </strong>

Ive never understood that. People typically respond that "things happen for a reason" as if it was part of some master plan god has for you. To me, religion seems like a coping mechanism (or form of rationalization) for people whose life has taken a turn for the worse or whose life was never on the right track to begin with. It seems like the smarter folks are or the more money they make, the less they seem to believe (just my observations). Im not asking this to be an ass or anything - im just curious why your god is letting some of you down right now. It really sucks the way this recession has impacted people's life for the worse, but is God really responsible for all that? Doesnt seem like it to me. Life is just a series of events, things dont "happen for a reason" - they just happen. Again, im not trying to be mean or anything but just curious about my initial question.

Good luck to everyone - hope the economy turns around soon so there will be less suffering out there.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1250682488]Sorry to hear about your misfortune RC.

But let me ask all of you guys a question that was triggered by Cacy's comment about people turning to religion when things start going bad. Let me preface what im about to ask by saying that i am not at all religious, my mom is a hardcore catholic but she never really pushed it on us. So my question is to all of you religious folks is if there was a god or whatever higher being you believe in:

Ive never understood that. People typically respond that "things happen for a reason" as if it was part of some master plan god has for you. To me, religion seems like a coping mechanism (or form of rationalization) for people whose life has taken a turn for the worse or whose life was never on the right track to begin with. It seems like the smarter folks are or the more money they make, the less they seem to believe (just my observations). Im not asking this to be an ass or anything - im just curious why your god is letting some of you down right now. It really sucks the way this recession has impacted people's life for the worse, but is God really responsible for all that? Doesnt seem like it to me. Life is just a series of events, things dont "happen for a reason" - they just happen. Again, im not trying to be mean or anything but just curious about my initial question.

Good luck to everyone - hope the economy turns around soon so there will be less suffering out there.</blockquote>
Great question, as a European immigrant who's family is hardcore Catholic I'll take a stab at this question. Just like you, I'm am not as religious as maybe I should have been with a religious family. I'm a firm believer that everyone makes their own destiny (i.e. people need to take self responsibility for their actions) but it is interesting that positive and negative things come in bunches. I'm not a believer that "things happen for a reason" but I am a huge believer of Karma and paying it forward. Even though I am not that religious I do believe that their is a higher divine power. I also believe that God has provided us free will and acts as an observer while we shape our own future. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people because life is unpredictable like that. Think about it, how interesting would our lives be if everything was predictable and easy? It wouldn't be. It's just like I stated above, adversity and challenges provide us the opportunity to strengthen our character and make us stronger mentally and emotionally. Of course, everyone deals with adversity and challenges in their own unique ways. I'm a believer that if you want something bad enough in life that you'll go out there and bust your ass for it.

[quote author="qwerty" date=1250682488]So my question is to all of you religious folks is if there was a god or whatever higher being you believe in:

<strong>Why does he allow all of these negative things to happen? </strong></blockquote>

Good point, but then my question to you is: <strong>What "allowing all these negative things to happen" has to do with there being or not being a god or whatever higher being?</strong>

Well, I know that the Joel Osteen's brand of Christianity and alike are advertizing that once you got on board, you will get all these perks and it will be all rosy and glory, but that may backfire as many real life observations do not support that notion. More importantly, what will that faith really worth, if you are getting all these rewards for that in return? Do you still call it real love if just to keep it alive, the beloved should keep paying the lover? That sounds more like prostitution or at least some sort of business arrangement to me...

RC, I don't have much to say seeing all these sufferings. I too have always wondered the hell God is doing when the innocent people are being tortured and killed, or when the starving children are dying or... Nature is ruthless, and we humans do not help much either, despite our grandiose claims of intellect and superiority.

I personally always [del]thought[/del] felt that somebody was <a href="http://www.my.homewithgod.com/mkcathy/inspirational/footprints.html">walking</a> with me in my dark hours, but I would never argue if that was real, or just an evolutionary defense mechanism played up by my brain to protect me. That was just what I felt. There is no reasoning here. The beauty of this debate is neither side could ever come up with solid evidence to prove their point. At the end, all you could do is to look into your own heart and see it yourself.

And one more thing - In his lesser known master piece, Report to Greco, Nikos Kazantzakis says:

"Three kinds of souls, three prayers:

1) I am a bow in your hands, Lord. Draw me, lest I rot.

2) Do not overdraw me, Lord. I shall break.

3) Overdraw me, Lord, and who cares if I break!"

Make your choice!

[quote author="qwerty" date=1250682488]Sorry to hear about your misfortune RC. But let me ask all of you guys a question that was triggered by Cacy's comment about people turning to religion when things start going bad. Let me preface what im about to ask by saying that i am not at all religious, my mom is a hardcore catholic but she never really pushed it on us. So my question is to all of you religious folks is if there was a god or whatever higher being you believe in:

Ive never understood that. People typically respond that "things happen for a reason" as if it was part of some master plan god has for you. To me, religion seems like a coping mechanism (or form of rationalization) for people whose life has taken a turn for the worse or whose life was never on the right track to begin with. <span style="color: red;">It seems like the smarter folks are or the more money they make, the less they seem to believe (just my observations). </span> Im not asking this to be an ass or anything - im just curious why your god is letting some of you down right now. It really sucks the way this recession has impacted people's life for the worse, but is God really responsible for all that? Doesnt seem like it to me. Life is just a series of events, things dont "happen for a reason" - they just happen. Again, im not trying to be mean or anything but just curious about my initial question. Good luck to everyone - hope the economy turns around soon so there will be less suffering out there.</blockquote>

As I've grown older and increased my knowledge (both academically and via life experiences), I've become less and less of a believer. I don't think it's because I'm smarter. I think it's the result of my personal coming-of-age experience. I've reflected on this a great deal and I struggle with it. A few months ago I decided that I'm a hopeful agnostic. I truly want to believe, yet sometimes I question my motivations. I've pondered whether or not I'm just afraid of not believing, and what that means. It scares me because society generally shuns atheists and as a child, I thought atheists were "bad" people. I don't think I'm a bad person. I don't want others to think I'm a bad person! However, I don't think I need to be saved, either. Like USC, I believe in Karma and paying it forward.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1250684572]Great question, as a European immigrant who's family is hardcore Catholic I'll take a stab at this question. Just like you, I'm am not as religious as maybe I should have been with a religious family. I'm a firm believer that everyone makes their own destiny (i.e. people need to take self responsibility for their actions) but it is interesting that positive and negative things come in bunches. I'm not a believer that "things happen for a reason" <span style="color: red;"> but I am a huge believer of Karma and paying it forward. </span> Even though I am not that religious I do believe that their is a higher divine power. I also believe that God has provided us free will and acts as an observer while we shape our own future. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people because life is unpredictable like that. Think about it, how interesting would our lives be if everything was predictable and easy? It wouldn't be. It's just like I stated above, adversity and challenges provide us the opportunity to strengthen our character and make us stronger mentally and emotionally. Of course, everyone deals with adversity and challenges in their own unique ways. I'm a believer that if you want something bad enough in life that you'll go out there and bust your ass for it.</blockquote>

Qwerty - Your post contains a lot of different topics and deserves a better reply than I could possibly post here in a text box. I have to be up for work in 5 hours and although I know you were not addressing me specifically, I did not feel right going to bed and having you feel like you are being ignored in case you are facing some hard times. So, I hope you will forgive me, but instead of typing out, I will post some links you might find useful, if you would like to listen to them. (Audio recordings)

Just a few notes:

<em>Why does he allow all of these negative things to happen?</em>:

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/thanksgiving-113008.mp3">Living thankfully in thankless times.</a>

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/jitr/022507_JITR8.mp3">The hope in suffering</a>

<em>...the smarter folks are or the more money they make, the less they seem to believe...</em>:

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/jitr/020407_JITR5.mp3"> A costly calling</a>

<a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/audio/jitr/031107_JITR10.mp3"> The cost of discipleship</a>

For reference or ease of use... these links were taken from <a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/index-4.html">this page</a> and <a href="http://www.villagechurchirvine.com/message_archive.html">this one.</a> If the topics above are not the info you are looking for, you may find something else on those pages. If you prefer webcasts, you can find some <a href="http://www.harvest.org/church/index.php/10/47/6.html#">here.</a>

I sense the underlying meaning in your post has less to do with wanting an answer to that one question and more to do with apologetics. I would understand as I have been in that place and had to make a concerted effort to get evidence before I could believe a single thing. That is something that will take effort on your part to study historical, philosophical, and other aspects. There are a lot of resources available to you if you would like them. And with that, I wish you all a good night... err, morning!

roundcorners,

I know you, and many others, think of me as some unhappy, cranky, pessimistic a$$ hat who does not share your faith. But ask anyone here who knows me, and they will say I am anything but that, except for maybe the latter point. So if you can try your best to see me as what I say I am, and not what you see me as, then when I say I am just being honest... you will see it for what it is really worth...

What you are dealing with is called LIFE. It has its ups and downs, and right now it is at low point for most. Many, like yourself, have never seen times like this, or were too young to remember them. Then, there are people like me, who remember more than most and realize we have been through this before. What you are seeing is nothing new, and if you survive it all... you should become a stronger, better, and more knowledgeable person because of it. Learn from it all, take advantage of it, and learn to take advantage of it in the future. You will be ahead of the curve, when others are behind it.

When it comes to personal health ills, you have not even begun to see the worst of it. What I have seen in the last two weeks trumps what you have dealt with from your post. If I were to post what I have dealt with in the last five years, then you would look silly for posting your recent LIFE experience.

I'm lucky to be alive today to post this. I have a story, in which my instinct (whether it was gawd or me just having common knowledge), saved me from certain death. I'm very happy to have what I have. It may not be perfect, but I am working very hard to try my best to make it so. I don't need to have a kid to make me realize how lucky I am, because I have so many other things that will make me tune out everything else. It isn't just work that tunes me out, and if I did have a kid... I might even tune out more than you, because I appreciate what I have now, and I don't know if you ever did appreciate what you had.

My friends would characterize me as someone seeing things as "the glass half empty". If you ask any of them what I am like. They'll say, "Reason is a pessimist." And often times, I think of myself as such.

But thanks to this hard time, I see my real self. I realized that I'm hard as nail. I am not a pessimist. I am one tough character. I truly believe these are the times when you see true characters. It's either you handle the situation at hand or you crack under pressure. And let me tell you, this past year. My life have been thrown under a bus. But guess what? I get up and go at it again! That's life! got to love it! you only have one!

This is a verse i read in the morning before starting work and wanted to share it with you all.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

James 1: 2-4

Back