Sold-out development in Fountain Valley

[quote author="acpme" date=1217465681]asian parents don't give time-outs. seriously, what the hell kind of punishment is that. time-out locked in their room where kids these days closets bursting with toys, guns, and video games. i remember one time getting a B+ in math. after that my parents watched me do my math hw every night. after i completed the worksheet, they'd erase the whole thing so i had the pleasure of doing my hw all over again! i think i was 1st grade at the time. true story.</blockquote>

An interesting article regarding <a href="http://www.corpun.com/usd00610.htm">corporal punishment</a>.

[quote author="rickhunter" date=1217466011]ACP - How long ago was this? Couldn't they have just photocopied the homework page before you scribbled all over? Cause if they didnt erase well enough, you could have retraced very easily...LOL</blockquote>

elemen school was before the days of home scanners and copiers. they would have had to go to the pharmacy every day to run copies. my parents also liked to hunt yard sales and libraries for old textbooks and i would get add'l homework assigned to me in addition to what i got in school.

[quote author="acpme" date=1217473373][quote author="rickhunter" date=1217466011]ACP - How long ago was this? Couldn't they have just photocopied the homework page before you scribbled all over? Cause if they didnt erase well enough, you could have retraced very easily...LOL</blockquote>

elemen school was before the days of home scanners and copiers. they would have had to go to the pharmacy every day to run copies. my parents also liked to hunt yard sales and libraries for old textbooks and i would get add'l homework assigned to me in addition to what i got in school.</blockquote>

Frankly, I think the extra homework was to keep you too busy to get into trouble. ;-)

o_O;;

My Asian parents just told me to be home by midnight and make sure I graduate. LoL.

You guys had it tough, but then your parents probably never made you go out and get a job at age 16...

Oh trust me, we worked. If you don't work after school or weekend, you have no spending money...remember we are Asian, there are no such thing as allowances.

[quote author="tulip" date=1217503291]Oh trust me, we worked. If you don't work after school or weekend, you have no spending money...remember we are Asian, there are no such thing as allowances.</blockquote>

The truth. I had a paper route at 12.

[quote author="fumbling" date=1217427855]About Asian parents that don't know English but emphasize schooling, see this youtube video, it's one of the most seen/commented videos on youtube; satirical but every Asian can relate:

</blockquote>

That video is funny.

All that drama over a B+ incredible!

After watching it, I clicked on another video in that same group that?s absolutely hilarious.

Why asian guys can?t get white girls and why asian girls are attracted to white guys.

My favorite part is where the dorky white guy comes home with the asian guy?s sister.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1217549017][quote author="fumbling" date=1217427855]About Asian parents that don't know English but emphasize schooling, see this youtube video, it's one of the most seen/commented videos on youtube; satirical but every Asian can relate:

</blockquote>

That video is funny.

After watching it, I clicked on another video in that same group that?s absolutely hilarious.

Why asian guys can?t get white girls and why asian girls are attracted to white guys.

My favorite part is where the dorky white guy comes home with the asian guy?s sister.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object></blockquote>

This video is hilarious but true. Most interracial couples I have seen are Asian women and rarely Asian guys. Non Asian women out there please share your thoughts why there are so few Asian guys in interracial relationship. Are Asian guys a huge turn-off, hard to approach because they are too reserved?

For many years I have been involved in formulating houses for Asian family buyers. I like to to study the possibilities of home design catering to the Asian interracial family homebuyers.

One of the most intriguing relationships is Ipo?s Chinese mother with a Caucasian man. Prior to the mid 70?s interracial relationship was a huge taboo in the Chinese communities and rarely Chinese parents would approve such marriages. Daughters who chose interracial marriages often severed tie with the family. His mother came to America during the 50?s during the turbulent time of racial tension. Ipo must have an interesting family story and unique cultural perspective during his time of growing up when there were so few others like him.

Sorry for the derailment of this thread when Ten and I post in the same thread and this is destined to happen. At least I apologize.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1217570101][quote author="tenmagnet" date=1217549017][quote author="fumbling" date=1217427855]About Asian parents that don't know English but emphasize schooling, see this youtube video, it's one of the most seen/commented videos on youtube; satirical but every Asian can relate:

</blockquote>

That video is funny.

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object></blockquote>

This video is hilarious but true. Most interracial couples I have seen are Asian women and rarely Asian guys. Non Asian women out there please share your thoughts why there are so few Asian guys in interracial relationship. Are Asian guys a huge turn-off, hard to approach because they are too reserved?

For many years I have been involved in formulating houses for Asian family buyers. I like to to study the possibilities of home design catering to the Asian interracial family homebuyers.

One of the most intriguing relationships is Ipo?s Chinese mother with a Caucasian man. Prior to the mid 70?s interracial relationship was a huge taboo in the Chinese communities and rarely Chinese parents would approve such marriages. Daughters who chose interracial marriages often severed tie with the family. His mother came to America during the 50?s during the turbulent time of racial tension. Ipo must have an interesting family story and unique cultural perspective during his time of growing up when there were so few others like him.

Sorry for the derailment of this thread when Ten and I post in the same thread and this is destined to happen. At least I apologize.</blockquote>

I dated a Japanese American for 4 years. We broke up because he was ready to settle down, have kids and buy a house in Ladera Ranch, which ultimately to me felt like it would have been prison. They were a very attractive family. His sister was a Raiderette and even went back to it for a season at 35 with 3 kids. Both he and his brother were very handsome and they were very good people.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1217574354]Maybe the ultimate explaination is that Asian women are smarter than blondes?</blockquote>

However this reasoning does not answer the reversed interracial relationship (Caucasian or others with Asian men).

May be Ten can write a book on TenAsianMagnet?

I concur that poverty plays a strong role in determining how kids perform in school. However, culture is very important too. I use the term Hispanic to refer to Mexico all the way down because we do have a large central american poplulation. The Hispanics don't seem to value upper level education very much. They want their kids to do well in life, but to them if their son goes on to own a landscape business, he is successful. In other words, they don't see white collar jobs as the be all.

Also, I think the Hispanics, particulary the first generation, suffer from low self esteem. I tutored a foster kid in Santa Ana for two years. His mother was druggie in and out of prison and he lived with the great aunt and uncle. They were great people, but couldn't seem to get him to connect with his school work so they contacted the YMCA.

He was just entering the 6th grade and reading at the 2nd grade level. On our first meeting I realized the kid wasn't stupid, but he thought he was so he didn't try. He was very into sports, so I started brining the LA Times sports page to our sessions. He was also into rap music, so I would burn CD's that had edited songs and have him write the lyrics. His reading skills progressed so rapidly and he started taking an interest in school. Feeling that maybe he wasn't dumb after all, he started to engage more with his teacher and getting good grades was something he could do. 6 months later he was reading at his grade level and a year later a year ahead.

I'd like to say that the story ended happily, but it didn't. His mom got out of jail, his brother went in and mom started coming around. She'd make promises that she inevitably would break. No coincidence here, but he started hanging around a new group of kids who were a bad influence. He always had this "do we have to do this" attitude, but once we got started everything was fine, but that started to change. I'd show up at 10:00 am on Saturday and his eyes were fire red because he was stoned. I called him on it, he denied it and just got so darn stubborn that I called it quits.

On the should we teach in English only topic, I believe we should. I'm pretty liberal, but I know that kids learn language pretty darned fast. I spent a year in Italy with my sister and niece when I was in the 4th grade. On the first day of class in public school I knew how to say hello and ask where the bathroom was. My teacher spoke a little bit of English and my niece was two class rooms down to translate in the events we couldn't quite figure out.

3 months later and Nicole rarely had to be called over. In fact, one of the reasons that my sister really wanted me there was to help Nicole keep her English. She was 5 when they moved over there and by 7 her Italian was stronger and her preferred language. We got in trouble one time when my sister came home and found us speaking in Italian. At that point it was just easier.

However, I think one of the big differences is that as an American, I was a celebrity. My classmates thought I was the coolest thing in the world and everyone went out of there way to help me and be my friend. The white kids are down right mean to the Hispanic kids, repeating stupid stuff their parents say. So, the Hispanic kids are going to talk to each other only and in the language that's easiest for them. If the white kids were engaging them, they would learn English so darn fast it isn't funny. And actually, they still learn English quite quickly despite this.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1217575111][quote author="bkshopr" date=1217570101][quote author="tenmagnet" date=1217549017][quote author="fumbling" date=1217427855]About Asian parents that don't know English but emphasize schooling, see this youtube video, it's one of the most seen/commented videos on youtube; satirical but every Asian can relate:

</blockquote>

That video is funny.

Sorry for the derailment of this thread when Ten and I post in the same thread and this is destined to happen. At least I apologize.</blockquote>

I dated a Japanese American for 4 years. We broke up because he was ready to settle down, have kids and buy a house in Ladera Ranch, which ultimately to me felt like it would have been prison. They were a very attractive family. His sister was a Raiderette and even went back to it for a season at 35 with 3 kids. Both he and his brother were very handsome and they were very good people.</blockquote>

Usually a girl would break up with a man because he was NOT ready to settle down!

I kept waiting for the "I want to be a mother" gene that I am supposedly born with to kick in. I really believed I was just a late bloomer with it, but ultimately realized that it's just not there and not going to be. I get my nurturing fix from my garden and really hope to convince hubby that a boxer won't ruin our lives.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1217578344]I kept waiting for the "I want to be a mother" gene that I am supposedly born with to kick in. I really believed I was just a late bloomer with it, but ultimately realized that it's just not there and not going to be. I get my nurturing fix from my garden and really hope to convince hubby that a boxer won't ruin our lives.</blockquote>

Garden and landscape can achieve amazing curb appeal to your property and children can bring amazing joy to your soul. You are substituting your craving to nurture with hobbies and pets that you can improve, redo, or replace. Children on the other hand are much harder to raise. You are actually a good mother but your perfectionist personality is postsponing the joy to your soul.

BKshopr,

Asian is the most racist race on this Earth. Take the Chinese for example, people wouldn't even consider marry someone that is not in the same providence as they are. Taiwanese can't married mainland Chinese, Vietnamese can't married Chinese....like you can tell us apart.

Even the North Vietnamese and the South Vietnamese doesn't like even like each other.

I wonder if the hispanic are like that>? Like the Mexican doesn't like the Guatemalian?

Like the Mexican doesn?t like the Guatemalian?

According to a few friends of either nationality (living here), this is a huge conflict, akin to other strong regional ones.

Most "old-timers" don't like the idea of "foreign" blood, whether Chinese or Italian or African or Muslim, but as people are more removed from the "old country" like their kids or grandkids growing, who get more educated or more assimilated (the two probably go hand in hand), then they seem to be less racist. IMO most Chinese who immigrate to the U.S. have a definite preference for their kids to marry Chinese but it seems once they've been here around 20 years or more they've assimilated into the multi-cultural aspects of California and are probably resigned to the fact that their kids marrying other than Chinese is always a possibility, and they seem polite and accepting about it.

This thread is heading for a trolling. ;p

Here, we have a competitive dating scene. If you want more dates, work to improve your sexual market value.

Or, you could go overseas to a place where it's not as competitive. For men, try Philippines. For women, try Turkey. The locals are overly friendly and you'd have more dates than you can beat off with a stick.

Good read:

<a href="http://truthfulinsights.blogspot.com/">http://truthfulinsights.blogspot.com/</a>

Back