Sold-out development in Fountain Valley

I agree. I had some Hispanic friends in college who basically got a free ride plus extra support and services. But in exchange, they were discriminated upon by others. Overall, I believe in helping the poor to succeed.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Santa Ana, Anaheim, or Garden Grove even if it would give my future kids an advantage in getting into a good school. Unlike other Asians, I don't think education is THAT IMPORTANT.

I would definitely prefer Irvine or Huntington Beach just for the overall quality of life.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1217327699]Having an Asian last name on the college application is a disadvantage to begin with. However Asian living in a ghetto address, ghetto high school, and a good autobiographical essay explaining the cultural deprivation growing up in the ghetto and having a 4.0 GPA while studying despite dodging bullets and gang influence shows the determination to succeed.</blockquote>

That, and when you are at the same college as the kid from Uni-high who flips out and starts waving a gun around campus from too pressure he has suffered all his life, instead of freaking out and start running and possibly get shot, you remain calm and talk the nutter down. Or... you just kick his a$$. That is just two more benefits of growing up in the hood of real life.

Maybe we should have a high school swap reality show... Kid from Uni has to go to Santa Ana high and vis versa. I think that would be a great lesson.

<em>*graph goes to call his movie/TV connections before someone else from movies/TV read this.*</em>

better yet, send the kid from uni to the worst place him and his parents can imagine -- WOODBRIDGE.

<em>nooo, not woodbridge! </em> dum dum DUUUUUM!

I hired college graduates from both backgrounds: growing up in Stepford and upbringing in the hood. Stepford gradustes are book smart and really good at their specific task and deliver on time and has a high level of loyalty. They are sophisticated at implementation of ideas but not a leader. Ghetto graduates are street smart and take shortcut at their task and save time for doing their personal things. They have excellent verbal salesmanship and creative with conceptual ideas. They are corporate status driven and must have reward for loyalty.

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1217393713]Me thinks there's a little selection bias in your sample bk.</blockquote>

Agree. Sample pool is too small to draw conclusion. However, the pattern has been consistent for the last 13 years eventhough the samples per year may be small.

I think kids from Santa Ana, Anaheim, and Garden Grove have better intrapersonal skills. Being that they are deprived of trips, vacations, and material things... they are more reliant on hanging out in their neighborhood and socializing with friends. On the other hand, kids from Irvine or Huntington are more into sports, travel, and having things. They are more aware of the world and society, but lack an in depth understanding of friendships and relationships. I think rich kids are better at interacting with strangers and having impersonal relationships. Poorer kids are more awkward around strangers, but typically have stronger friendships. They are less "fake", but are also less adaptive to foreign settings.

bk, it really is sad for everyone involved, especially the kids themselves. These failing Costa Mesa schools are part of the superb Newport Mesa USD, and have the resources to make a difference. Since this APPEARS to be a forum for actual discussion and not politically correct horsepoop, hopefully the real issues can be discussed. From discussions with elementary teachers who know the score and are close friends, the problems can be summed up as follows:

1. Illegal populations are transient populations, often at the mercy of tenuous housing and employment. This dramatically impacts school-age kids, who can never gain traction at one school.

2. Many illegal parents treat school as free daycare. They do not attend parent teacher conferences and do not respond to extensive outreach efforts by school staff and counselors. They are often working multiple jobs and have little time for such things.

3. When English is not spoken at home, the kids get no help with homework and no help with English-language proficiency.

4. Whn kids cannot speak English, they are frustrated with school and socially ostracized from English-proficient kids. This promotes bonding with kids who also do not speak English, thus perpetuating the lack of English proficiency.

5. Education is not a culturally important issue to many in rural Latin America, and does not magically become so when they move here illegally.

The above are generalizations that have a great deal of truth behind them. My friends teach elementary school in Santa Barbara, where the demographic disparities are as severe as Newport-Mesa's. No matter how you feel about illegal immigration, the issue is literally irrelevant in the context of schools - schools are prohibited by law from asking about citizenship status and must educate all comers. Costa Mesa is getting battered because all the PC a-holes refuse to TALK ABOUT THE REAL UNDERLYING PROBLEMS. Meanwhile, the kids suffer. Kids who do not speak English are not dumb, they just need help and support, and that starts at home.

All these activists who fight English-only and promote retention of the native language are only doing themselves and their kids a huge disservice. Assimilation is critical to immigrant's success, if you want to live in Latin America - STAY THERE.

FreedomCM and Stepping,

Costa Mesa definitely needs a job center, but the one being considered would not do away with the day laborers entirely. The job center in Orange and the one being proposed for Costa Mesa would require proof of eligibility to work. Illegal immigrants would be excluded.

That isn't right wing, that is simple compliance with the law. If being a liberal means supporting blatant disregard for the whole statutory and regulatory employment scheme, then mark me down as a conservative!

[quote author="CM_Dude" date=1217397997]bk, it really is sad for everyone involved, especially the kids themselves. These failing Costa Mesa schools are part of the superb Newport Mesa USD, and have the resources to make a difference. Since this APPEARS to be a forum for actual discussion and not politically correct horsepoop, hopefully the real issues can be discussed. From discussions with elementary teachers who know the score and are close friends, the problems can be summed up as follows:

1. Illegal populations are transient populations, often at the mercy of tenuous housing and employment. This dramatically impacts school-age kids, who can never gain traction at one school.

2. Many illegal parents treat school as free daycare. They do not attend parent teacher conferences and do not respond to extensive outreach efforts by school staff and counselors. They are often working multiple jobs and have little time for such things.

3. When English is not spoken at home, the kids get no help with homework and no help with English-language proficiency.

4. Whn kids cannot speak English, they are frustrated with school and socially ostracized from English-proficient kids. This promotes bonding with kids who also do not speak English, thus perpetuating the lack of English proficiency.

5. Education is not a culturally important issue to many in rural Latin America, and does not magically become so when they move here illegally.

The above are generalizations that have a great deal of truth behind them. My friends teach elementary school in Santa Barbara, where the demographic disparities are as severe as Newport-Mesa's. No matter how you feel about illegal immigration, the issue is literally irrelevant in the context of schools - schools are prohibited by law from asking about citizenship status and must educate all comers. Costa Mesa is getting battered because all the PC a-holes refuse to TALK ABOUT THE REAL UNDERLYING PROBLEMS. Meanwhile, the kids suffer. Kids who do not speak English are not dumb, they just need help and support, and that starts at home.

All these activists who fight English-only and promote retention of the native language are only doing themselves and their kids a huge disservice. Assimilation is critical to immigrant's success, if you want to live in Latin America - STAY THERE.</blockquote>

Take the word "illegal" out and you somewhat described my upbringing in the inner city school. For the teachers please don't give up on the kids trapped in a less desirable school district. I searched for some of the patient teachers who never gave up on me and thanked them some 4 decades later. It is never too late to show appreciation. Rent the movie "Stand and Deliver" or another movie about a North Long Beach High School ( I forgot the name) with Hillary Swank.

CM Dude wrote:

"All these activists who fight English-only and promote retention of the native language are only doing themselves and their kids a huge disservice. Assimilation is critical to immigrant?s success, if you want to live in Latin America - STAY THERE."

Learn from the Chinese. Assimilate the kids quickly but mandate the kids to take Chinese summer schools to retaining the heritage and understanding the language and culture.

I think the Chinese are doing the right thing.

I agree that English proficiency is vital for academic success. But there are many students who do not have a language barrier, yet still struggle in school. I think it has to do with poverty. I'm afraid many poor students do not believe in the value of a good education.

[quote author="hs_teacher" date=1217415193]I agree that English proficiency is vital for academic success. But there are many students who do not have a language barrier, yet still struggle in school. I think it has to do with poverty. I'm afraid many poor students do not believe in the value of a good education.</blockquote>

Their role models are different and don't emphasize education. Poor kids can only imitate and aspired to people surrounding them.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1217287374][quote author="CM_Dude" date=1217123416]NSR, I am actually south of 17th! I'll keep pestering Code Enforcement, that seems to be all I can do.

I have no problem with people of any race, and Costa Mesa is a great, diverse City. What I do have a problem with is the bunkhouse behavior, total disrespect for neighbors (noise and parking) and the in-your-face activism of the pro-illegal immigration faction here in CM. I don't like clusters of day laborers crowding street corners, simply because it is an eyesore, and they have to go to the bathroom somewhere! I don't like the fact that we are known to have under-performing schools. If you complain about the failing schools (which happen to be the ones with extremely high percentages of non-English proficient students) or the other conditions caused by overcrowding and illegal immigration, you are branded a racist.</blockquote>

Schools with the least score has the highest Mexican population. Schools with declining score is parallel with increasing Hispanic enrollments. If you are shopping for a home with high performing school then stay away from where Mexicans live. Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Stanton, and many pockets of central OC. I went to school where 80% of the student population were Mexicans and It was really easy to get "A"s and having a very high GPA from a crummy school was an advantage getting into the top tier schools when so many colleges offer incentives and scholarships to smart kids from the ghettos. Top tier campuses believes in integration of racial, cultural, social and financial differences among student body.</blockquote>

I've been thinking this over and I think limiting it to Mexicans (or, as I suspect you meant it "most Mexicans") misses the point. First, it leaves out the Honduran and El Salvadorans, many of whom immigrated here because the CIA was busy messing up their countries and keeping people from playing dominoes. Second, it also misses any population that is lower income (poor to working class) and where education is not considered important. If this were the Richmond Housing Blog, you could substitute Blacks for Mexicans (or, rather, "Central Americans"). In Oklahoma, it would be the Native Americans. There are plenty of places where even poor whites bring the test scores down, and a high performing student would well qualify for a top college.

From my observations, the low test scores come from areas where there is low exposure (to the middle and upper classes, to college, to something different than what your family has), low (academic) expectations (by teachers and parents), and little opportunity to break the cycle.

I honestly think proverty has nothing to do with the value of education or lack of. It is the parenting. You will see lots of Asian parents that doesn't know how to read or write, work two jobs but yet they raised daughters and sons that are doctors, engineer, dentist and etc. To many of the Asian parents education mean to escape one's faith. If you want to succeed, you go to school. If you want to move away from your ghetto town, you go to school. If you want to bring glory to your family you go to school. It is being ingrained to us Asian kids at a very young age...with this guilt trip line " I don't know how to read or write, because we are too poor to go to school" or "We worked hard so you can stay in school.". The best guilt line is from the Mother.

I have a friend, both his parents doesn't know a word of English nor can they read or write Vietnamese, but he told me his parents check his homework every night. How? They just check for neatness. He said, his Mom would sit at the table watching him do his homework every single night. They raised 4 doctors. So it has nothing to do with the level of proverty, it has to do with the level of parenting.

About Asian parents that don't know English but emphasize schooling, see this youtube video, it's one of the most seen/commented videos on youtube; satirical but every Asian can relate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKnloiM-0Ns

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1217416366]I've been thinking this over and I think limiting it to Mexicans (or, as I suspect you meant it "most Mexicans") misses the point. First, it leaves out the Honduran and El Salvadorans, many of whom immigrated here because the CIA was busy messing up their countries and keeping people from playing dominoes.</blockquote>

Mmmm... I'm surprised that you of all people haven't heard about operation "Mexican Dominoes", or phase three of the latin/south American plan.

Fumbling that is hilarious and I am still having my cramp from laughing so hard. I am getting old and really should exercise my stomach muscle so I do not get these cramps from the funniest post in IHB.

Tulip, that is an excellent concise post why being poor is not a reason for bad grades in school. I can relate to that totally. Smart Asians in the ghetto have a higher chance in getting into the top tier colleges than academic prodigies from Stepford.

asian parents don't give time-outs. seriously, what the hell kind of punishment is that. time-out locked in their room where kids these days closets bursting with toys, guns, and video games. i remember one time getting a B+ in math. after that my parents watched me do my math hw every night. after i completed the worksheet, they'd erase the whole thing so i had the pleasure of doing my hw all over again! i think i was 1st grade at the time. true story.

ACP - How long ago was this? Couldn't they have just photocopied the homework page before you scribbled all over? Cause if they didnt erase well enough, you could have retraced very easily...LOL

[quote author="acpme" date=1217465681]asian parents don't give time-outs. seriously, what the hell kind of punishment is that. time-out locked in their room where kids these days closets bursting with toys, guns, and video games. i remember one time getting a B+ in math. after that my parents watched me do my math hw every night. after i completed the worksheet, they'd erase the whole thing so i had the pleasure of doing my hw all over again! i think i was 1st grade at the time. true story.</blockquote>

Back