Shutters

Sam78 said:
octagon said:
how many square feet do you measure for your 15 windows? Your quotes are pretty good if you have around 190sqf. Otherwise might be able to get a bit better rate depending on product.  I've talked to most of the same guys. I recall Pacific windecor being about 10% higher than bella blinds who was  higher than WD. So either you are getting a great quote from arvind or you could be getting a bit better quote from WD.

I heard the pitch from all on basswood vs poly vs Norman etc and did some google research. I think they're all fine in terms of quality. Liked that poly had way better insulation and more durable. Norman is very nice too even with mdf. If you are able to do an inside mount with the Norman mdf, that may be reason for mdf. The basswood will depend on who's making it.

Yes, the area is approximately 180 sq foot.
Regarding your original questions, I thought it was a toss-up between polycore and norman woodlore. at the same price, I would probably pick norman woodlore trusting norman has a good, long-time reputation and I thought they were very well built even if mdf and I like that it is a lighter material. Durability and insulation were main pros of polycore.

At 180sqf, i think your pacific windecor quote is very good. You might be able to get ~$100-200 off from WD or Bella, not sure. There can be some variation due to frame sizes as well.

edit: even at 170sqf, still think your pacific windecor quote is quite good. I think i was getting quoted over $20sqf and he was not willing to budge from that much at all. WD/Bella seem reasonable, but might be able to do for ~$100-200 cheaper.

If you tell Window Decorators to do it for $2,800 or your going with someone else......good chance it'll work. 
They should throw me a kickback for all the posts I write for them.

The "$2800 or I walk" threat is a credible because there are 2 other competitors that will do it for about the same price.  In fact you can go $2600 if you're feeling Jewish...(is that racist??)

zubs said:
The "$2800 or I walk" threat is a credible because there are 2 other competitors that will do it for about the same price.  In fact you can go $2600 if you're feeling Jewish...(is that racist??)

we probably dont have many jews here so probably acceptable :)

I don't know about that.

Irvine has a large Jewish population.

Isn't qwerty technically half Jewish because he's an accountant?

#DontMixStereotypesWithRacism

irvinehomeowner said:
I don't know about that.

i didnt think asians were jewish.

irvinehomeowner said:
I don't know about that.

i guess i could be half jewish and half black.

irvinehomeowner said:
Jcl725 said:
I went with Maggie's Shutters for my previous house and am going with them again.
http://www.maggiesshutters.com/

Good service and locally manufactured.  About $16 per square feet, but not sure if all companies measure window size the same way.
So Maggie's uses basswood.

Is polyurethane better or worse?
Neither.  Both just have different properties. Some think basswood looks better and if you want to put a wood stain instead of white, you need basswood. If it's going to be painted white, you generally can't tell the difference between basswood and poly. Basswood can nicked up more easily but not really a concern for most.

Sam78 said:
So we are now into selecting a Shutter company to install shutters for our windows at our Saratoga Residence-1 home. We decided to add Curtain to 6 big windows, and add shutter to the rest of the 15 windows. After reading through, our shutter requirements we clear: clear view, half-white, split into 2, 4.5? louver. We are unsure about the material. We called in 7 companies (all recommended either in TI or Yelp). All of them gave a quote ranging from $2800 to $3800 for 15 windows. Details below. We have shortlisted the three below. All three were great.

? Bella Blinds: Derek works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. He does the sales, measurement and installation himself. I am not sure if he measured everything right. It was a lot of scribble on that form. $3000 for 15 windows. He agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $100. Would not provide temporary screens

? Windows Decorators: Works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. $3215 for 15 windows. They agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $120. Agreed to provide temporary screens.

? Pacific Windecor: Does Norman shutters (MDF). His shutters have invisible tilt and some good magnets. He also showed the screw with which you can adjust the tension (probably 10 years later?). Lifetime warranty. Quoted $3120 for 15 windows and install curtains for a tip to his people.

Everything between these three look the same (price, warranty, reviews, etc.). So the question boils down to:
? Everything being the same, between MDF and Polyurethrene, which one would you pick?
? Are Norman shutters (invisible tilt, good magnets, etc.) worth going to an MDF material?

So we did finalize it yesterday. We had 15 windows at 170 sq ft.
  • Bella Blinds quoted $2900 as last price. Sunland Polyurethrene shutters, 3.5", Clear view with hidden metal rod, Outside frame, 2.5" Malibu frame. 6-8 weeks. 25 years Warranty.
  • Windows Decorators agreed to meet the lowest quote - $2780. Sunland Polyurethrene shutters, 4.5", Clear view with hidden metal rod, Outside frame, 2.5" Deco frame. Will provide temp shutters. 6-8 weeks. 25 years Warranty.
  • Pacific Windecor negotiated down for $2850. Norman Woodlore shutters, 4.5", Clear view with invisible rod, Inside frame, 2.5" Deco frame. 4-5 weeks. Will "try" t help with temp shutters. Lifetime Warranty.
We selected Pacific Windecor.. comes to around $16 per sqft.
Pros: We loved the clean look of the invisible rod. Lifetime warranty. Reputation of Normal shutters company. Relatively quick turnaround time.
Cons: Composite wood, but Arvind assured it is Engineered and quoted with Polyurethane. So nothing to worry.

Cannot wait for the shutters to come. Will post a photo once we get it. Thanks friends for your suggestions.

i1 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Can someone post pics of what kind of "roller shades" we are talking about here?

To me they look cheap so I can't understand how they cost as much or more than shutters.
bunch of pictures of them here.https://www.theshadestore.com/window-treatments/product-line/roller-shades
can easily run $200-250+ per window.

Speaking of The Shade Store, just got several woven wood shade installed and I'm very happy with the Shad Store experience.

You can certain browse the selections online but their showroom in Costa Mesa with friendly and helpful staff, free swatches and some design pointers, it justify to spend a little extra for their product.  One advantage of having an actual showroom is that you can see the product, see the sample before order it online.  Also the hardware for these blinds looks very sturdy and very high quality. 

You may not like their price but their showroom is a really good place to sample different shades and maybe to get some free design advice. ;)

Sam78 said:
Sam78 said:
So we are now into selecting a Shutter company to install shutters for our windows at our Saratoga Residence-1 home. We decided to add Curtain to 6 big windows, and add shutter to the rest of the 15 windows. After reading through, our shutter requirements we clear: clear view, half-white, split into 2, 4.5? louver. We are unsure about the material. We called in 7 companies (all recommended either in TI or Yelp). All of them gave a quote ranging from $2800 to $3800 for 15 windows. Details below. We have shortlisted the three below. All three were great.

? Bella Blinds: Derek works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. He does the sales, measurement and installation himself. I am not sure if he measured everything right. It was a lot of scribble on that form. $3000 for 15 windows. He agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $100. Would not provide temporary screens

? Windows Decorators: Works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. $3215 for 15 windows. They agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $120. Agreed to provide temporary screens.

? Pacific Windecor: Does Norman shutters (MDF). His shutters have invisible tilt and some good magnets. He also showed the screw with which you can adjust the tension (probably 10 years later?). Lifetime warranty. Quoted $3120 for 15 windows and install curtains for a tip to his people.

Everything between these three look the same (price, warranty, reviews, etc.). So the question boils down to:
? Everything being the same, between MDF and Polyurethrene, which one would you pick?
? Are Norman shutters (invisible tilt, good magnets, etc.) worth going to an MDF material?

So we did finalize it yesterday. We had 15 windows at 170 sq ft.
  • Bella Blinds quoted $2900 as last price. Sunland Polyurethrene shutters, 3.5", Clear view with hidden metal rod, Outside frame, 2.5" Malibu frame. 6-8 weeks. 25 years Warranty.
  • Windows Decorators agreed to meet the lowest quote - $2780. Sunland Polyurethrene shutters, 4.5", Clear view with hidden metal rod, Outside frame, 2.5" Deco frame. Will provide temp shutters. 6-8 weeks. 25 years Warranty.
  • Pacific Windecor negotiated down for $2850. Norman Woodlore shutters, 4.5", Clear view with invisible rod, Inside frame, 2.5" Deco frame. 4-5 weeks. Will "try" t help with temp shutters. Lifetime Warranty.
We selected Pacific Windecor.. comes to around $16 per sqft.
Pros: We loved the clean look of the invisible rod. Lifetime warranty. Reputation of Normal shutters company. Relatively quick turnaround time.
Cons: Composite wood, but Arvind assured it is Engineered and quoted with Polyurethane. So nothing to worry.

Cannot wait for the shutters to come. Will post a photo once we get it. Thanks friends for your suggestions.

Do you have a pic of malibu frame vs deco frame?
What do you mean 3.5" vs outside 2.5" ?

The Pacific windecor guy came and gave us an estimates yesterday.

But one odd thing was that he added 4 inches in each direction for each window (for 2 inches deco frame, does not matter the window needs to mounted outside or inside). actual sq/ft of our windows is 151 sq/ft and he bumped them up to 214 sq/f for 14 windows. After we calculated even with adding 4 in each sides the number is under 200 sq/ft.

Is this the right way to measure? or the guy is really trying too hard to make money off of ....

Thanks.

Back