Shutters

irvinehomeowner said:
Can someone post pics of what kind of "roller shades" we are talking about here?

To me they look cheap so I can't understand how they cost as much or more than shutters.
Some people like that look. At night-you can see through solar shades.

irvinehomeowner said:
Can someone post pics of what kind of "roller shades" we are talking about here?

To me they look cheap so I can't understand how they cost as much or more than shutters.

The Hunter Douglas's are definitely expensive but there are cheaper option out there.  Here's pic of Hunter Douglas roller shade.

Attachments

• Hunter Douglas.jpg
    Hunter Douglas.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 253
  • hunterdouglas.jpg
    hunterdouglas.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 238
thatOSguy said:
i1 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

bunch of pictures of them here.https://www.theshadestore.com/window-treatments/product-line/roller-shades
can easily run $200-250+ per window.

We did these plus roman shades a couple houses back. Too many styles to fit too many tastes, whereas shutters are the inoffensive window coverings most folks (save bones) would likely leave for the next guy. The Toyota Camry of window coverings.
Exactly - plantation shutters most people like. If you get other types they may like or not.

irvinehomeowner said:
I though wide width wood blinds were the Camry and shutters were the Lexus.
+1

Agents love saying when they show a house: a big plus this place have plantation shutters

Here's my rollers, you can see I put them right next to shutters but good to break things up a bit.

These long ones for my big panel slider were pretty expensive (about $400 ea) but we're happy with the result.

The window covering guys kept trying to sell me on vertical shades or curtains for my slider... Glad I didn't get either of those, not a fan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 287
Just my opinion but I really don't like those roller shades.

I would much prefer a curtain with nice decorative rod than that. At least with a curtain you can change the look/design if you need to.

But we each have our likes/dislikes... maybe it's because I don't notice those kind of window coverings in those Pottery Barn catalogs.

WTTCMN said:
aquabliss said:
Here's my rollers, you can see I put them right next to shutters but good to break things up a bit.

These long ones for my big panel slider were pretty expensive (about $400 ea) but we're happy with the result.

The window covering guys kept trying to sell me on vertical shades or curtains for my slider... Glad I didn't get either of those, not a fan.

These look good. Are they blackout? What mechanism did you get to operate them?  And $400 per panel is pretty cheap. Who did u use? Thanks.

They're 90% opaque.  Most of the full blackout ones use really ugly material for some reason.  They have a silky back though so you can't really see in from the outside at all.

I ended up getting them at Home Depot because I really liked the Bali material and Bali is exclusively sold at Home Depot.

They're operated by a stainless steel chain.  I almost went for motorized but it adds $170 per roller.  You can see the chain hanging if you look closely.

i1 said:
Anyone use residential window tinting before? You can let pretty much the same amount of light into your house (can't really even tell any film is there) but block most of the heat transfer to keep house cool and reduce ac usage. There can be issues like peeling depending on the film and install and you'll void the glass warranty. So don't think id do it but some interesting benefits and not very expensive. http://www.enerlogicfilm.com
3m makes them too.

Regarding to the warranty issue, please be cautious about window tinting on those new double pane window.  Many window manufactures do not suggest adding a tint to your window glass as this will void your warranty on the insulated glass unit. Applying tint can cause excessive heat to the insulated glass causing the unit to prematurely fail.  Double check make sure the tint film is safe to use on these type of windows.http://www.tintindustry.com/Home-Window-Tinting/Tinting-Double-Pane-Windows.html

I got my shutters through Bella Blinds who has been in business for over 20 years. They are not the cheapest shutters compared to other companies. Their price ranges from 15-20 dollars a square ft. Did what he said he would do. Highly recommend this company and will use again.http://www.bellablinds.com//

Back