Shutters

The Window Decorators
20598 Bloomfield Road
Riverside, CA 92508
P: 951-697-9277
Contract License: 723236

Attention: Max & Traci

So I bought 11 shutters at the end of SEP and they installed it on DEC 31.  They claimed the Long beach clerical strike for the reason it took so long, but I've talked to other people and it's usually 3 months from order to final install.

After you give them half for deposit, they will order your shutters from China.  I had 3 other people use them and it all worked out the same way.  They will come to your house and do all the measurements and then give you a quote.  You can then cut about 40 ~ 60% off their quote.  My 11 shutters for $2,500 could have been cut more if I had the patience, but they had already been at my house for 2 hours and I was tired of it.  They originally quoted around $4,200.

My shutters are louvre basswood.  They said the price of wood or plastic is the same.  The shutters look good, and they have a frame.  It's frame and shutters.

The OP had mentioned E&J Shutters and Blinds in Norco...has anyone gone with them?  Got an estimate from them the other day for a combination of shutters and a few large window/doors with bamboo shades.  The price was nearly a third of quotes we've gotten from a larger showroom store (only went to get ideas and see large selection of samples).  Also promised 3-4 week turn around on manufacturing, which seems like a much better than the 3-4 months we waited at our old house when we ordered from China. He also showed us a house in the neighborhood which he recently did, and seemed to have a good rapport with the owners there, which seemed like a good sign to me.  Before I pull the trigger, thought I'd get some input from the fine folks here on the boards. 

I did some research so thought I'd share:

Shutters King: 100% basswood, solid basswood (not finger joined), 3-4 weeks turnaround, manufactured in Pomona, BBB accredited. Only downside is that their hinges aren't mortised.
Price: $11.95 per sq/ft ($2 more for clearview)

Express Blinds: same owner as Shutters King so product is identical and made in the same factory. 100% basswood, solid basswood (not finger joined), 3-4 weeks turnaround, manufactured in Pomona, BBB accredited. Only downside is that their hinges aren't mortised.

Bridge Shutters: 100% basswood, not sure on other info
Price: $14.00 ($1 more for clearview)

Kim's Shutters: 100% basswood, solid basswood (not finger joined), 5-6 weeks turnaround for China manufactured ones, 3-4 weeks turnaround for US manufactured ones, mortised hinges.

Decided to go with Golden West Shutters in Lake Forest. They have their own manufacturing factory and the prices were really affordable ($7800 for 24 windows). Will let you guys know how the experience is.

Recently got an estimate from Shutters King. For shutters on all 18 windows the total cost is under $5000. That's for clearview shutters that are split (top and bottom halves operate independently).

When listing prices, you guys should list in terms of price per square foot as window sizes vary from house to house which makes for an apples to oranges comparison.

dealcatcher said:
When listing prices, you guys should list in terms of price per square foot as window sizes vary from house to house which makes for an apples to oranges comparison.

It's implied if the total cost and cost per sqft is provided. Just divide one by the other to yield total square footage:

5000 / 13.95 = 358 total sqft

;)

lucky said:
dealcatcher said:

It's implied if the total cost and cost per sqft is provided. Just divide one by the other to yield total square footage:

5000 / 13.95 = 358 total sqft

;)

I feel like I'm in first grade right now

dealcatcher said:

Shutters King: 100% basswood, solid basswood (not finger joined), 3-4 weeks turnaround, manufactured in Pomona, BBB accredited. Only downside is that their hinges aren't mortised.

Express Blinds: same owner as Shutters King so product is identical and made in the same factory. 100% basswood, solid basswood (not finger joined), 3-4 weeks turnaround, manufactured in Pomona, BBB accredited. Only downside is that their hinges aren't mortised.

Kim's Shutters: 100% basswood, solid basswood (not finger joined), 5-6 weeks turnaround for China manufactured ones, 3-4 weeks turnaround for US manufactured ones, mortised hinges.
When I did price per sq/ft calculation from Express Blinds' quote, it came out to be about $15 per sq/ft w/ clearview.
Are these guys all middle men who buys from the same factory in Pomona?
Maybe they just order with different options for things like hinges, number of paint coating and etc. to change the price.

Irvine_Dreamer said:
dealcatcher said:

When I did price per sq/ft calculation from Express Blinds' quote, it came out to be about $15 per sq/ft w/ clearview.
Are these guys all middle men who buys from the same factory in Pomona?
Maybe they just order with different options for things like hinges, number of paint coating and etc. to change the price.

Shutters King appears to manufacture their own blinds (in Pomona) and until about 3-4 years ago they only sold commercially. I think that means many other sellers do just purchase from Shutters King and mark up the price.

Our salesman said we could come out to their factory and see the shutters being made first-hand. I may take him up on that offer.

I know a company that makes stuff in the USA.  They have all the machines and equipment to make the product in a factory in Orange County.  However, they also imported product from China.  Guess what they did with the product that was made in China?

zubs said:
I know a company that makes stuff in the USA.  They have all the machines and equipment to make the product in a factory in Orange County.  However, they also imported product from China.  Guess what they did with the product that was made in China?
What?
Is this the place in south OC?

They labeled it made in USA.
But they didn't go full retard you see.  They still made some of it at their own factory.  You never go full retard. 

This company was in Santa Ana, but I'm not sure if they are still in business.  I believe their customer just decided to go to China and buy directly.  In any case, if made in USA is important to you, I'd suggest asking directly where your shutters are coming from.  Even if they have a factory, it doesn't mean your shit is being made there.  All manufacturers are importers even if they can make it themselves.

I got quotes from various places as well, but none were as cheap as what dealcatcher posted and some of them are the same vendor.

I'm not sure if you are adding the frame into the sq footage calculation, but prices obviously will vary based on size of frame, material, type, etc, etc.

Golden West and Shutters King gave similar advice about what to get and what to look for.  Being a shutter novice, I thought it was good to talk to these guys to get an idea of what's out there and the differences between the quality of products.  Both prefer to do outside mount vs inside mount as they said rarely are windows perfectly rectangular and as the house settles, it may cause some issues.  Since both produce their own wood shutter, they said wood was better than poly but both said that moisture will be an eventual issue.

All the other vendors source their stuff from someone else and for the most part pushed poly shutters stating that they don't require maintenance (mostly moisture concerns and don't require repaint).  Other than the material, I think most of the shutters are pretty similar, at least the ones we looked at.  Norman clearview shutters have the tilt rod in the frame itself so you don't see it (most have it external, usually on the side closest to the window).

GW's quote was for standard wood shutters,  338 sq ft (per their quote) @ 18.93 per sq ft.  The guy didn't measure all the windows as meticulously as the other vendors did.  He eyeballed most of them and measured some of them.

Shutters King measured every window and showed how some of the windows looked the same but were off by an eighth of an inch.  For clearview, 1" frame, and independent top and bottom, it was 312 sq ft @ 17.45 per sq ft.

Every vendor measured close to what Shutters King measured square footage wise and price ranged from ~16 - 22 dollars per sq ft (all clearview) with interior mount shutters being slightly more expensive.

blitzjs said:
I got quotes from various places as well, but none were as cheap as what dealcatcher posted and some of them are the same vendor.

I'm not sure if you are adding the frame into the sq footage calculation, but prices obviously will vary based on size of frame, material, type, etc, etc.

Golden West and Shutters King gave similar advice about what to get and what to look for.  Being a shutter novice, I thought it was good to talk to these guys to get an idea of what's out there and the differences between the quality of products.  Both prefer to do outside mount vs inside mount as they said rarely are windows perfectly rectangular and as the house settles, it may cause some issues.  Since both produce their own wood shutter, they said wood was better than poly but both said that moisture will be an eventual issue.

All the other vendors source their stuff from someone else and for the most part pushed poly shutters stating that they don't require maintenance (mostly moisture concerns and don't require repaint).  Other than the material, I think most of the shutters are pretty similar, at least the ones we looked at.  Norman clearview shutters have the tilt rod in the frame itself so you don't see it (most have it external, usually on the side closest to the window).

GW's quote was for standard wood shutters,  338 sq ft (per their quote) @ 18.93 per sq ft.  The guy didn't measure all the windows as meticulously as the other vendors did.  He eyeballed most of them and measured some of them.

Shutters King measured every window and showed how some of the windows looked the same but were off by an eighth of an inch.  For clearview, 1" frame, and independent top and bottom, it was 312 sq ft @ 17.45 per sq ft.

Every vendor measured close to what Shutters King measured square footage wise and price ranged from ~16 - 22 dollars per sq ft (all clearview) with interior mount shutters being slightly more expensive.

Great breakdown. Thanks, blitzjs.

For the Shutters King quote, is 1" the standard frame or is that an upgrade? I ask because my quote was for the split top/bottom clearview shutters with the standard frame width, which may be an inch but maybe less, and was quoted $13.95/sqft, so I'm wondering what the difference is (or if the salesman is taking advantage of you for not pushing for a better price).

While poly does have the moisture advantage over wood and makes it good for bathroom and kitchen installations, wood is usually lighter than poly so for longer windows, you have to go wood due to weight concerns over a long span.

We did our shutters over 10 years ago so I don't even remember what I paid (we used a company called Design Impact out of South County) but I am keeping an eye on this thread for future reference.

My quotes above are with a 1.25-1.5" L-frame with a 50/50 shutter where you can control top half independently of bottom half. If you're getting quoted higher than my stated prices for the same setup, then you're not getting the best deal you can get. Good luck!

I see a lot of people getting quotes from Shutter Kings, but did anyone actually get them installed by them?  Curious on the experience.

broda said:
I see a lot of people getting quotes from Shutter Kings, but did anyone actually get them installed by them?  Curious on the experience.

Two of my friends have their shutters and don't have any complaints.

Back