Sheltering...

akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Just discovered another side effect of this sheltering... we went over our cable data limit (1TB).

Prior to this, we never went over 500 geebees... must be that binging of Ozark and the closed beta of Valorant. :)

I thought most companies lifted their data caps because of covid. 

Did it cost more than a fast casual dinner out?

akkord said:
I thought most companies lifted their data caps because of covid. 

They did. I wasn't charged for it but that's why I didn't notice until I looked at our data usage history. The previous month we were just under 1TB and last month we went just over.

irvinehomeowner said:
I was thinking about starting a new thread on what our new habits would be in this Covid era but there are already too many threads.
...<snip>
5. Temperature checks everywhere: If you haven't seen it on the news, all these businesses are doing those touchless temp checks before they let you in. They did that on my kids for their dentist check up this week (was that breaking the law?). If I ever get to playing pick-up basketball again, we may need to bring one of those thermometers to the court and pre-check all the players. :)

So I haven't encountered a temp check anywhere.  Seen them on the news but not in person.

And when they get a temp of 99.5 what do they do?

Not being snarky, I wonder what the overall reaction of everybody in line and the door person is if they need to turn someone away on a temp check.

We have cox and were paying an extra $50/month for the unlimited plan and they have not been charging that for the last couple of months. Got an email yesterday that they would be waiving the next month as well

qwerty said:
We have cox and were paying an extra $50/month for the unlimited plan and they have not been charging that for the last couple of months. Got an email yesterday that they would be waiving the next month as well

Cox loves to charge extra, is it an extra $50, on top of what you pay already? I pay $75 for gigabit no limit, all in. Then $10 off for bundle. It was $70 before but ATT raised all their prices in Jan.

akkord said:
qwerty said:

Cox loves to charge extra, is it an extra $50, on top of what you pay already? I pay $75 for gigabit no limit, all in. Then $10 off for bundle. It was $70 before but ATT raised all their prices in Jan.

Correct. I was paying 164/month, now down to 114/month. The 14 is for the phone, that we don?t use. But if we remove the phone, our 1TB plan would go to 120/month

nosuchreality said:
So I haven't encountered a temp check anywhere.  Seen them on the news but not in person.

Not being snarky, I wonder what the overall reaction of everybody in line and the door person is if they need to turn someone away on a temp check.

Was running late to a doctor's appointment so I ran to check-in from the parking lot.  My temp was 99.4 and I got a dirty look from the receptionist.  Was thinking about this exact scenario on what would happen if my temp was a little higher.. 

woodburyowner said:
nosuchreality said:

Was running late to a doctor's appointment so I ran to check-in from the parking lot.  My temp was 99.4 and I got a dirty look from the receptionist.  Was thinking about this exact scenario on what would happen if my temp was a little higher..

Thinking out loud. But it seems there is no enforcement. It is all cosmetic.
I guess they can say come back when you do not have a temperature.

qwerty said:

Yep. If you go over they don't charge you and if you are paying extra for the unlimited or an extra 500GB they credit that back.

Just curious, did you actually exceed the 1TB prior to sheltering in? We never went above 500GB so didn't need to pay extra for unlimited.

Yeah we were always over because I have a bunch of cameras all over the place. I didn?t want to deal with adjusting the cameras mid month to avoid going over, it was too much of a hassle so I just put the cameras on the highest setting and ponies up for the extra bandwidth

Resurrecting an old thread given that more quality TV has come on-line.

Watched "Palm Springs" on HULU. It's definitely an R. 1st scene is sex, rejection, masturbation fail, etc. After that it's not as rough but still a certain R. 

Highly recommend the film. As a bonus, there is a very funny "Irvine" thread through it that wraps up nicely in the last 1/3rd of the film.

Also finished "The Great" - also on HULU - well worth a watch, also a deserved R rating.

"Hanna" S-2 is moving along nicely as is "Yellowstone" S-3.

Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions?

Also in S2 of Hanna... better than S1 since that was basically a reboot of the movie.

The Old Guard movie on Netflix was okay... Extraction was better... but both better than Triple Frontier.

Warrior Nun was meh.

Hamilton (obv) on Disney+ was entertaining.

Also watching The Last Dance and Like Water on ESPN.

Fight scenes in "Extraction" were WOW! Story, meh, but the camera work was on point.

I left off 3 others - HBO's "Perry Mason" has been outstanding. If you like 1930's grimy film noir that isn't a gangster film, PM has been terrific at this stage in the series.

The Soylent Family really enjoyed "Snowpiercer" as a film and thought the TV series would be a hot mess. So far it's been an interesting watch and another to recommend, but only on DVR. 5 minutes of story, 4 minutes of commercials. Blegh.

Hope "The Alienist" S-2 will be as good as S-1. Nice period piece - also ruined by commercials so set your DVR.

Back