Sheltering...

irvinehomeowner said:
So how many of you haven't left the house for days or weeks? I'm suprised that some of my friends have not driven for a few weeks.

Even though I'm remote working, I probably leave the house every day to go pick up food, grocery shopping, or some random (and probably non-essential) errand.

Yesterday, I went to the same shopping center 3 times in one day.

And we are out walking/biking more than ever because I can't get my hoops on.

Am I a rule breaker? I don't think I'm C+... yet.

Are all you guys really sheltered in like R2D?

Me or the hubs goes out almost every day (to the post office) but yup other than that I stay home.

So today 131 new cases and "only" 941 tests which is a higher percentage than recently.

Of those 73 OCJ inmates and 13 were SNF residents, leaving 45 for the general population (3.2+ million people). Guess it's time to release more evil doers into the general population lest they become sick in the jail. We can always put them up in a hotel, hand them food stamps and other public assistance.

We've loosened up.  Not counting the walk the dog or neighborhood bike ride.  Yes, my car has sat for over a week or two at times.

We started with 1 time a week trip to the grocery in mid-march.  Then early April shifted to 1x every two weeks, supplementing the trip Milk with a Shipt delivery from Target of milk, pantry items.  That lasted to this last weekend, when I ventured back to the grocery and we did take out twice. 

Of course, I'm conveniently leaving off the drive past the beach of beachageddon weekend, however we did not get out of the car and did not have the windows down when we saw the traffic jam.    Honest Doc, we largely shelter at home.

Oh and we scheduled the dog a groomer appointment last Friday. 

No costco, haven't put gas in the Mini-van since before shutdown orders in March. No home depot.  No garden supply store. 

I noticed on my last Grocery trip how 80% are being completely diligent and 20% aren't bothering.  No masks, handling all sorts of the food and putting it back down, walking right up on people to grab from the shelf or cooler.

We've done two take outs for dinner one disappointing and one okay.

I think as they reopen things unfortunately you'll start seeing more and more people being more lax about social distancing and wearing a mask. Hopefully that doesn't translate to a big increase in new virus cases or we'll get the stay-at-home 2.0.

So if stay at home 2.0 happens would governments say stay shut down until a vaccine or treatment is ready? 

If they don?t, no point of stay at home 2.0.

qwerty said:
So if stay at home 2.0 happens would governments say stay shut down until a vaccine or treatment is ready? 

100% agree with you, the vaccine or treatment/s would need to be weeks or a few months away.

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:

100% agree with you, the vaccine or treatment/s would need to be weeks or a few months away.

I think we'd see much stricter enforcement of masks, maybe  gloves, social distancing, crowd limits etc.

I think we'd also see much quicker hostility to those that don't observe masks, social distancing.

Unless the virus sweeps back with a 10000 dying a day type rate all across the US, you will see a lot of resistance to the rushed vaccine.  Yes people want it, but they really want a lot someone elses to go first for a month or so.

I think the next big question will be how to lockdown and keep localities with hotspots local.  Cuz frankly, I do see LA staying in LA during a outbreak and OC, SB and Riverside won't behave any better.

When we re-open, our cases will go up, but if we are able to manage it, then that will be the price we pay.
As long as our medical services are not overwhelmed, we should open, and expect more covid.

Honestly, I expected to catch it by now considering how many different contacts I go through daily just for take-out/drive-thru and grocery shopping.

I don't stage or disinfect my packages/food/etc so I guess infection through that type of contact may be very low.

My closest social contact is at stores like everyone else but we are all masked up... except for qwerty.

I would probably not be able to deal with a full lockdown like other countries where you can't leave the house... I would show up at the Santa Ana with my basketball.

I think any hostility to those not wearing masks and gloves would result in even more hostility from the person not wearing a mask. Most of those folks that are not wearing masks are probably the ?I don?t give a F? types and probably don?t make the best decisions. So I can understand the urge to confront them but that also is probably not a wise decision.

Remember, unless required by law, your decision to wear a mask is your decision. It?s also their decision not to wear one. And that needs to be respected.

irvinehomeowner said:
Honestly, I expected to catch it by now considering how many different contacts I go through daily just for take-out/drive-thru and grocery shopping.

I don't stage or disinfect my packages/food/etc so I guess infection through that type of contact may be very low.

My closest social contact is at stores like everyone else but we are all masked up... except for qwerty.

I would probably not be able to deal with a full lockdown like other countries where you can't leave the house... I would show up at the Santa Ana with my basketball.

Perhaps it?s not as highly contagious as they say?

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Perhaps it?s not as highly contagious as they say?

That's the unknown.

I also don't use gloves... but I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer frequently... because I touch my face like a million times a day.

I need some type of electric shock collar that triggers whenever I touch my face.

I was at big 5 recently looking for dumbbells.  This dude came in w/o a mask and the store employees said he has to wear a mask to be in the store.  He complained, but left the store.

zubs said:
I was at big 5 recently looking for dumbbells.  This dude came in w/o a mask and the store employees said he has to wear a mask to be in the store.  He complained, but left the store.

Qwerty?  :) He is building his home gym.

@ Costco District. They are giving free masks to customers. (Maybe someone on TI mentioned it)
1. I saw some customers not used the masks properly. (For example. I saw a person with wearing the mask on their chin, wearing the mask only covering the mouth and not nose)
2. I saw another customer ask for another free masks when he left the store. The employee did not give him another.

I was thinking about starting a new thread on what our new habits would be in this Covid era but there are already too many threads.

This is what I've noticed and think may become the new norm:

1. Everyone will have masks in their cars: I see people driving around with them hanging from their rearview mirror like the old school pine scent fresheners. I have like 4 different masks in my car which I use depending on the kind of environment I'm going into.

2. Hand sanitizers all over the place: Not just in stores and businesses, I have two in my car, one big one and one small one I can take with me. I have one on my desk and one in the kitchen... Purell and the like are set for life. Someone is going to make an Apple watch band that holds 2oz of hand sanitizer... or an iPhone case that doubles as a hand sanitizer dispenser.

3. Social distancing: This I like... I don't like crowds and now the new normal is everyone has to be a least 6ft apart from each other. Conversations are going to be tougher because not only do we have to talk louder but the masks will obscure our voices and we don't have visual cues to give us context. People may mistake sarcasm/humor for anger just like on TI. :)

4. Easier to hang out with friends: Before this thing, I rarely see my friends because #3 above... I don't like crowds... so that means I don't go to parties. Now, I've been texting/video chatting my buddies more frequently.

5. Temperature checks everywhere: If you haven't seen it on the news, all these businesses are doing those touchless temp checks before they let you in. They did that on my kids for their dentist check up this week (was that breaking the law?). If I ever get to playing pick-up basketball again, we may need to bring one of those thermometers to the court and pre-check all the players. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I was thinking about starting a new thread on what our new habits would be in this Covid era but there are already too many threads.

This is what I've noticed and think may become the new norm:

1. Everyone will have masks in their cars: I see people driving around with them hanging from their rearview mirror like the old school pine scent fresheners. I have like 4 different masks in my car which I use depending on the kind of environment I'm going into.

2. Hand sanitizers all over the place: Not just in stores and businesses, I have two in my car, one big one and one small one I can take with me. I have one on my desk and one in the kitchen... Purell and the like are set for life. Someone is going to make an Apple watch band that holds 2oz of hand sanitizer... or an iPhone case that doubles as a hand sanitizer dispenser.

3. Social distancing: This I like... I don't like crowds and now the new normal is everyone has to be a least 6ft apart from each other. Conversations are going to be tougher because not only do we have to talk louder but the masks will obscure our voices and we don't have visual cues to give us context. People may mistake sarcasm/humor for anger just like on TI. :)

4. Easier to hang out with friends: Before this thing, I rarely see my friends because #3 above... I don't like crowds... so that means I don't go to parties. Now, I've been texting/video chatting my buddies more frequently.

5. Temperature checks everywhere: If you haven't seen it on the news, all these businesses are doing those touchless temp checks before they let you in. They did that on my kids for their dentist check up this week (was that breaking the law?). If I ever get to playing pick-up basketball again, we may need to bring one of those thermometers to the court and pre-check all the players. :)

6. Cashless/touchless payments.

7. More curbside pickups/drop offs.

bones said:
6. Cashless/touchless payments.

7. More curbside pickups/drop offs.

That's what I forgot to add:

8. More food/restaurant apps: As much as I don't like to put my CC information into these apps, it's more convenient as all I have to do is order and then show up and pick up the food... less contact points. Only problem is many of these apps don't have areas where you can note non-available customizations like light ketchup or extra ranch or sub zucchini instead of mushrooms.

Just discovered another side effect of this sheltering... we went over our cable data limit (1TB).

Prior to this, we never went over 500 geebees... must be that binging of Ozark and the closed beta of Valorant. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Just discovered another side effect of this sheltering... we went over our cable data limit (1TB).

Prior to this, we never went over 500 geebees... must be that binging of Ozark and the closed beta of Valorant. :)

I thought most companies lifted their data caps because of covid. 

Back