Sheltering...

So... anyone noticing their remote connections are slow?

Been hearing complaints about all the virtual conferencing apps too like WebEx and MS Teams.

All the traffic on the freeway has now moved to the Internet. :(

We have cox and my wife and I are both working remotely all day and the kids are streaming all day on their devices. Have not noticed any slowdown of any Kind. Using teams has not been an issue, speeds are fine

Cox provider. New Modem so we're at about 175mbs. Two mesh routers to ensure everything is running well upstairs and down.

Netflix
Hulu
HBO Go
and Amazon Prime.

Homeland was mentioned earlier (HULU). The Looming Tower is so great and so hard to watch, but a must.  Man In the High Castle and The Boys (both Amazon) are also faves. Since Soylent Yellow and Soylent Blue are out of the house, we've chewed through Westworld S-1 and S-2 which were fun. The last season of Stranger Things (Netflix) was fun for all of the 80's references. Worth a watch. Plenty of amazing documentaries about things you'll just drop your jaw about. Other than "Oh, I always wanted to see that film" there's a few others series I'd like to get to like Deadwood (HBO) or the entire Sopranos series.  If you have to pay for a series, I'd recommend Counterpart, a Starz original, but I think on Amazon or Hulu soon... Finally, Servant on Apple TV is great, as long as you don't skip to the end to see how it all works out in the end.

My .02c

Also noticed severe slowdown in internet speeds.  Normally < 10ms latency has now increased to ~ 200ms when playing online games (connected by ethernet).  Wifi is also constantly dropping.  Noticed this a couple of weeks ago.  Called and check Cox website and they put blame on corona.... Refreshing modem does not work either. 

Anyone else who subscribes to Cox internet noticing these issues?

What part of Irvine are people in?  I'm near Northwood. 
This is getting ridiculous... it's been like this for weeks now with severe packet loss.

Attachments

• fuck cox.JPG
    fuck cox.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 198
I guess I'm just unlucky.  It appears networks are receiving a lot of DDOS attacks lately and its affecting people who want to game online during quarantine.  :'(

AW said:
If you guys have vpn, you can look for servers outside like Canada, Netflix have different shows due to different rights.  Maximize your Netflix subscription :)

Speaking of Canada, I was pleasantly surprised to see Kim?s Convenience Season4 on Netflix.

I think BTB probably looks like Kim Chi.

Took us a few weeks but finally chewed through all 3 seasons of Ozark. It was interesting but way too many f-bombs (well... violence and death too :) ).

I don't get the appeal of Tiger King... I guess because it's real (I still don't know how that girl who got her arm chewed off went back to work).

@LiarLoan: Have you watched Lego Masters? It's like those Food Network competition shows but with Lego.

What is the most "fair" news show to watch?

One other thing I notice about sheltering... much more trash and recyclables than normal.

As for news? I'd go with NHK, then BBC News, then at least 1 hour of ABC and 1 hour of Fox. Bloomberg news does a pretty nice job, but it's often simply business stuff, not general world news. In order to travel down stream you should paddle a bit on the right side of the canoe and a bit on the left side of the canoe. No one is fair, but with 2-3 perspectives you can reach a well reasoned conclusion about what's going on out there.

Ozark has long been a must watch at the Soylent Green house. "Ruth" drops an F-load of Effin F-bombs but with her F-You spirit is always turned to F-ing 11 makes her a great Effing character to root for. F yeah!

Watched "Train to Busan" for the first time after years of recommendations. Terrific film, but as with all zombie films not for the faint of heart.

Try Amazon's "Undone" for something different. For all you die hard "Galaxy Quest" fans, Amazon also has a very sweet "making of" documentary. If you have time to kill it's worth tuning in for.

Thankfully "Killing Eve" has re-started - also not for the faint of heart - but terrific dialogue and highly watchable characters. Best to watch on BBC America not AMC as AMC has way, way too many commercials. It's not yet streaming on HULU, but likely once S3 ends.

Is it me, or does HULU have the shiattiest interface of all the streaming services around? Seems like it was designed by a 6 year old who was standing on their head while programming it. Blegh.

My .02c

Agreed... Hulu needs to re-work their UI/UX.

Since Epic is free for a limited time on most streaming/cable/dish services, I've been watching Berlin Station (spy stuff) and War of the Worlds (TV remake).

War of the Worlds looks great. Hope the "free pass" will exist for some time as our must watch list is growing longer every day.

I forgot to list "Counterpart" a 2 season Starz production that is on Amazon Prime. J.K. Simmons is great in it. Terrific concept. Not as drawn out as "Man In The High Castle" - but still very high concept stuff.

My .02c

Oh yeah... been wanting to check out Counterpart with JJonahJameson/Jim Gordon/Farmers rep.

Not sure I like how High Castle ended, I would go into it but don't want to spoil it.

So just finished Season 1 of Counterpart.

Very good watch and now it has me wondering if an alternate universe released the coronavirus into our world. :)

So how many of you haven't left the house for days or weeks? I'm suprised that some of my friends have not driven for a few weeks.

Even though I'm remote working, I probably leave the house every day to go pick up food, grocery shopping, or some random (and probably non-essential) errand.

Yesterday, I went to the same shopping center 3 times in one day.

And we are out walking/biking more than ever because I can't get my hoops on.

Am I a rule breaker? I don't think I'm C+... yet.

Are all you guys really sheltered in like R2D?

Back