Shady Canyon

[quote author="fumbling" date=1251199588]the guards had been turning people away from the open houses in shady starting about a month ago.</blockquote>
I'll bet you I can sill get looky-loos in through the gates.

[quote author="working poor" date=1251178223]Wow, did someone lock the gates in Shady Canyon? There has been little to know activity on Redfin this month... No sooner than I wrote that, another home did pop up on Redfin. It is a new listing for a home that was on the market last year. Any new inventory coming up soon?</blockquote>
23 cactus was completed, although it doesn't count as a new listing since it was for sale more than a year ago. I believe 30 Sage Creek sold...

hmmm, i guess I was a bit quick to express doubt on 23 cactus' design...it has gone off the market after a substantial price increase, did it sell??

<a href="http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21-Needle-Grass-Irvine-CA-92603/69248289_zpid/">21 Needle Grass went back to the bank today for $1.615mil</a>.

What? I thought this would be cheap enough for one of you Shady loving, cash buying, cheap bastards? You Shady lovers disappoint me. :-/

[quote author="cactusfan" date=1251319992]hmmm, i guess I was a bit quick to express doubt on 23 cactus' design...it has gone off the market after a substantial price increase, did it sell??</blockquote>
It DID NOT sell and is not in escrow, the listing was WITHDRAWN from MLS on 8/25/09.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1251529207]<a href="http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21-Needle-Grass-Irvine-CA-92603/69248289_zpid/">21 Needle Grass went back to the bank today for $1.615mil</a>.

What? I thought this would be cheap enough for one of you Shady loving, cash buying, cheap bastards? You Shady lovers disappoint me. :-/</blockquote>

Sorry dude. For awhile, I was impressed by Shady, but after awhile I realized we were impressed with the homes. They are amazing, but Shady Canyon itself is not all that attractive. It looks like any scrub brush desert area in California.

[quote author="awgee" date=1251555099]Sorry dude. For awhile, I was impressed by Shady, but after awhile I realized we were impressed with the homes. They are amazing, but Shady Canyon itself is not all that attractive. It looks like any scrub brush desert area in California.</blockquote>

I remember saying the same thing about Coto 15 years ago, but... I still don't think it will be as nice as Coto has become. I could be wrong, who the hell wanted to live in the desert know as Coto back then... oh yeah... the little general has a nice pad there. Plus, I'd rather live in Coto just for the chance to kick Slade in the nuts... that is if the HOA will let his sorry a$$ in for stiffing them with the back HOAs. DOH!

need advice, is shady canyon a bad choice? has it seen better days? is it really hot as hell there all night long because it's in a canyon? help. relocating from SF and looking into it, have only visited the area 2 times but so far can not balance good and bad

[quote author="otis" date=1252221543]need advice, is shady canyon a bad choice? has it seen better days? is it really hot as hell there all night long because it's in a canyon? help. relocating from SF and looking into it, have only visited the area 2 times but so far can not balance good and bad</blockquote>
It's a nice area with some beautiful homes, but it was developed at the peak with a lot of speculator money so it's suffering right now. It's a great location if privacy is at the top of your list. However, if I were in the market to spend that kind of money on a home I would be looking at Newport Beach and Newport Coast. Have you checked out Newport Beach and Newport Coast on your visits? Please consider renting before buying a home if you are relocating from SF and have not living in the area so you can get a feel for the community before you make the commitment of purchasing a home.

[quote author="otis" date=1252221543]need advice, is shady canyon a bad choice? has it seen better days? is it really hot as hell there all night long because it's in a canyon? help. relocating from SF and looking into it, have only visited the area 2 times but so far can not balance good and bad</blockquote>

Shady Canyon has definitely seen better days, well, at least in terms of home value. Although this is a great time to buy there, because prices have gone down so much. I agree that if you are relocating from out of town, it's probably better to rent somewhere first and get a better idea of what you like/dislike before buying.

I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would live in Shaday Canyon or Coto. If you're going to live in Socal, live by the beach. Otherwise you're just overpaying for an Arizona life. This is particularly true in Coto. Heck, Coto is probably closer to the 909 than the Ocean. Socal is expensive because of the ocean and beach lifestyle. Ladera, Coto, Mission Viejo, Shady, etc. I just don't get it. Mostly cookie cutter, tract, insta homes you can find anywhere. Irvine to some extent makes sense. Even though it's hot, sterile, and far from the beach at least it's close to work for many people.

[quote author="not a realtor" date=1252276284]I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would live in Shaday Canyon or Coto. If you're going to live in Socal, live by the beach. Otherwise you're just overpaying for an Arizona life. This is particularly true in Coto. Heck, Coto is probably closer to the 909 than the Ocean. Socal is expensive because of the ocean and beach lifestyle. Ladera, Coto, Mission Viejo, Shady, etc. I just don't get it. Mostly cookie cutter, tract, insta homes you can find anywhere. Irvine to some extent makes sense. Even though it's hot, sterile, and far from the beach at least it's close to work for many people.</blockquote>

I can't disagree any more.

Have you been to AZ? the weather is no wehre close to what it is in all the places you mentionned. It's been really hot the last couple of weeks, but that's about it. Go in AZ and it's been in the 100 since April.

SoCal is not ALL about the beach. Personally, I'm not a big beach fan, I like to see it, sometimes go take a walk in the sand, but I'm no surfer. However, I like the outdoors and there are thousands of things you can do all year long in SoCal.

If I'd buy in Newport Coast it would only be for the ocean view. Shady canyon is nicely located just as well as Newport Coast for me. About other areas like Coto, Mission, Ladera, Talega that you don't get, well think how much more land and sf you get there compared to Irvine. Also, keep in mind some poeple are retired or don't work in Irvine and these places are closer to their work.

Some of the homes in Shady are amazing. You will need to visit Shady a couple of times and see if it is for you. IMO, it is a better time to buy in Shady than it was two years ago, and two years from now will be even better.

We love Coto. I think Coto is much prettier than Shady. And it gets hotter than blazes in Coto. Ya gotta have AC and ya gotta be willing to run it. Backyard living is big in Coto; pools, shaded living areas, etc. Coto is not a real close commute to Irvine, but I love the toll road and find the commute tolerable.

Re. living near the ocean. I grew up on the beach, and it is a personal thing that I do not care to live at or raise my children at the beach. I now have to get cut up every six months to have carcinomas removed and the last thing I find pleasant is roasting in the sun. Like I said, it is a personal thing.

Neither me nor my wife care for Newport Coast or Newport Beach. It is not the area, but rather the folks who live there. We do not fit in. We drive a ten year old Volvo station wagon and a 4 year old Honda mini van. We buy our kid's clothes at Target, Walmart, and Old Navy. If you are thinking of NB, you need to spend some time there and make sure you will feel comfortable.

[quote author="Roo" date=1252277777][quote author="not a realtor" date=1252276284]I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would live in Shaday Canyon or Coto. If you're going to live in Socal, live by the beach. Otherwise you're just overpaying for an Arizona life. This is particularly true in Coto. Heck, Coto is probably closer to the 909 than the Ocean. Socal is expensive because of the ocean and beach lifestyle. Ladera, Coto, Mission Viejo, Shady, etc. I just don't get it. Mostly cookie cutter, tract, insta homes you can find anywhere. Irvine to some extent makes sense. Even though it's hot, sterile, and far from the beach at least it's close to work for many people.</blockquote>

Have you been to AZ? the weather is no wehre close to what it is in all the places you mentionned. It's been really hot the last couple of weeks, but that's about it. Go in AZ and it's been in the 100 since April.

SoCal is not ALL about the beach. Personally, I'm not a big beach fan, I like to see it, sometimes go take a walk in the sand, but I'm no surfer. However, I like the outdoors and there are thousands of things you can do all year long in SoCal.

If I'd buy in Newport Coast it would only be for the ocean view. Shady canyon is nicely located just as well as Newport Coast for me. About other areas like Coto, Mission, Ladera, Talega that you don't get, well think how much more land and sf you get there compared to Irvine. Also, keep in mind some poeple are retired or don't work in Irvine and these places are closer to their work.</blockquote>

socal really is all about the beach. it is the only reason socal enjoys higher property values than the most of the country. if you're not a beach person why live here? Maybe you have a job here but you could probably get one in another state and have a better quality of life due to cost of living. You mention newport coast but say it is because of the ocean view (ie the beach). shady canyon is in a pit full of dry shrubs. Yes you can get bigger lots/houses in ladera, etc. It's because people like living there less due to heat, distance from the ocean, etc. If you like the cookie cutter, car culture, insta cities filled with tract homes there is plenty of that around the country where you really can get a bigger lot and house. Whether you surf or not the draw for socal is for most the ocean and the property values for the most part bear that out. The further from the water generally the cheaper the community. maybe you are one of the exceptions. I maintain living in south inland oc in particular is really overpaying for a lifestyle available many other places for half the price.

I always thought Shady Canyon was desirable primarily because of the large lots and easy access to the freeway. The coastal communities (Newport Beach, Newport Coast, and Laguna Beach) can be troublesome if you need to commute every day.

[quote author="SacRenter" date=1252370920]I always thought Shady Canyon was desirable primarily because of the large lots and easy access to the freeway. The coastal communities (Newport Beach, Newport Coast, and Laguna Beach) can be troublesome if you need to commute every day.</blockquote>

I disagree on Newport and Newport Coast. They both have direct access to the 73, which will pretty much get you anywhere.

Laguna Beach is a different story.

[quote author="not a realtor" date=1252369374][quote author="Roo" date=1252277777][quote author="not a realtor" date=1252276284]I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would live in Shaday Canyon or Coto. If you're going to live in Socal, live by the beach. Otherwise you're just overpaying for an Arizona life. This is particularly true in Coto. Heck, Coto is probably closer to the 909 than the Ocean. Socal is expensive because of the ocean and beach lifestyle. Ladera, Coto, Mission Viejo, Shady, etc. I just don't get it. Mostly cookie cutter, tract, insta homes you can find anywhere. Irvine to some extent makes sense. Even though it's hot, sterile, and far from the beach at least it's close to work for many people.</blockquote>

If I'd buy in Newport Coast it would only be for the ocean view. Shady canyon is nicely located just as well as Newport Coast for me. About other areas like Coto, Mission, Ladera, Talega that you don't get, well think how much more land and sf you get there compared to Irvine. Also, keep in mind some poeple are retired or don't work in Irvine and these places are closer to their work.</blockquote>

socal really is all about the beach. it is the only reason socal enjoys higher property values than the most of the country. if you're not a beach person why live here? Maybe you have a job here but you could probably get one in another state and have a better quality of life due to cost of living. You mention newport coast but say it is because of the ocean view (ie the beach). shady canyon is in a pit full of dry shrubs. Yes you can get bigger lots/houses in ladera, etc. It's because people like living there less due to heat, distance from the ocean, etc. If you like the cookie cutter, car culture, insta cities filled with tract homes there is plenty of that around the country where you really can get a bigger lot and house. Whether you surf or not the draw for socal is for most the ocean and the property values for the most part bear that out. The further from the water generally the cheaper the community. maybe you are one of the exceptions. I maintain living in south inland oc in particular is really overpaying for a lifestyle available many other places for half the price.</blockquote>

Thanks for setting me straight. How could I be so silly as to think that I knew what I liked and what I was willing to pay for. I will be sure an consult with you before our next purchase to make sure that we are purchasing according to your correct values.

[quote author="awgee" date=1252371999][quote author="not a realtor" date=1252369374][quote author="Roo" date=1252277777][quote author="not a realtor" date=1252276284]I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would live in Shaday Canyon or Coto. If you're going to live in Socal, live by the beach. Otherwise you're just overpaying for an Arizona life. This is particularly true in Coto. Heck, Coto is probably closer to the 909 than the Ocean. Socal is expensive because of the ocean and beach lifestyle. Ladera, Coto, Mission Viejo, Shady, etc. I just don't get it. Mostly cookie cutter, tract, insta homes you can find anywhere. Irvine to some extent makes sense. Even though it's hot, sterile, and far from the beach at least it's close to work for many people.</blockquote>

socal really is all about the beach. it is the only reason socal enjoys higher property values than the most of the country. if you're not a beach person why live here? Maybe you have a job here but you could probably get one in another state and have a better quality of life due to cost of living. You mention newport coast but say it is because of the ocean view (ie the beach). shady canyon is in a pit full of dry shrubs. Yes you can get bigger lots/houses in ladera, etc. It's because people like living there less due to heat, distance from the ocean, etc. If you like the cookie cutter, car culture, insta cities filled with tract homes there is plenty of that around the country where you really can get a bigger lot and house. Whether you surf or not the draw for socal is for most the ocean and the property values for the most part bear that out. The further from the water generally the cheaper the community. maybe you are one of the exceptions. I maintain living in south inland oc in particular is really overpaying for a lifestyle available many other places for half the price.</blockquote>

Thanks for setting me straight. How could I be so silly as to think that I knew what I liked and what I was willing to pay for. I will be sure an consult with you before our next purchase to make sure that we are purchasing according to your correct values.</blockquote>

No need to be flippant. I was just expressing my view which is what I thought this board was for.

Back